Forums Latest Members
  1. a2zz Apr 20, 2017

Hi folks. Apologies in advance, I know these posts are a dime a dozen. After some advice on the watch below. The seller claims to have inherited it from his Great Aunt (the "Phyllis" from the engraving on the back), but doesn’t have any further information on it other than "it's an automatic Omega Seamaster from 1956". Obviously, the band isn’t original, and it is rather heavily scratched up. I've had a tough time finding more info online based solely on these pictures. The closest match I could find was here: www.birthyearwatches.com/1954-omega-seamaster-bumper-automatic-mens-watch/.

Can anyone ID this watch or provide any further info?

image4.png

image2.JPG
    image3.JPG

2. DON Apr 20, 2017

Sweep second bumper, but no clue on which caliber. Crown not original and hands not original. Omega hands, but not for that dial design (should be shorter)

Very well used. Most likely a single owned watch based on the case and crystal condition

DON

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 20, 2017

My guess: Seamaster 2577, powered by 351/354 non chronometer.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 20, 2017

A ref. 2577 Seamaster without "Automatic" on the dial? I guess it's possible, but are we sure it's not a manual wind version?

http://naligazone.com/index.php/data-watch/omega/13-watch/omega/215

Lugs are different on above watch, but I'm sure there were other manual wind Seamasters not listed in the database.

Dial looks proper, which is the only reason I'm questioning.
    gatorcpa

5. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 20, 2017

A little odd that the dial is lacking automatic though...perhaps it faded? It does look like 2577 case however.

6. a2zz Apr 21, 2017

Thanks all. I'm arranging to inspect the watch this weekend. Aside from what's already been mentioned, is there anything in particular I should be looking for or keeping an eye out for?

7. Bumper Apr 21, 2017

Try winding the crown first, to see if it's a manual wind.

If it doesn't wind *like a manual*, it's an Automatic watch.
    - rock the watch gently from 9 to 3. If you feel the bump, its a bumper wind. If its a bumper, as Gatorcpa said, it can only be a cal 351,*352 or 354, the other calibres have sub-seconds.
    - If you feel no bump, shake the watch to see if you can you feel the rotor?
    - If yes, what is the size of the case? mid size of around 32mm & it might be a cal 470/471.

If it's an automatic of any sort, the missing "automatic" on the dial will affect it's value. It could have been cleaned off or had the dial changed..
    However, It could very well turn out to be a manual wind, the seller may not know anything about watches & just thinks its an auto.

Although, from the pics you'sve posted, the case does look like a bumper...
    Also, these few models usually have a 4 notch crown like in the pic below & in the links to the OVD.
    DSC00815.JPG

CK2577 bumper
    https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/14718/

CK2828 cal 470/471
    https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/14721/

Edited Apr 21, 2017
  8. Willem023 Apr 21, 2017

To mention a few: high res pics of the inside-caseback (if the watch is opened, which might not be a good idea if the seller and you have no experience with that...), of the movement and calibre (including the serial number), of all the angles you can think of, of the case and 1:1 straightforward from the dial.

IMHO btw, an automatic watch does wind, and it might also be a cal 352, since there is no clear understanding on the ref number.

My2Ksh

9. Bumper Apr 21, 2017

Good catch, forgot about the 352 :) edited the post