Forums Latest Members

Advice about oyster perpetual sought

1. Engee Jun 11, 2022

Hello Rolexperts

I’m quite taken by this as my first Rolex but am so unknowledgable that I honestly don’t know if I’m looking at something that’s very wrong. I’d appreciate any guidance as to whether this is an honest piece. I just don’t know if the thick print means redial (if it were an Omega I’d be particularly cautious) and the other thing I struggle with is deciding if lugs have been polished to a point or if they are meant to be pointy.

I know there’s corrosion on the body between the lugs. Is that normal or should I take it as a red flag? It doesn’t bother me from an aesthetic perspective, but if it is a clue to worse damage inside I would pass.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Nick

0B1B30AE-39C7-42F7-8FEB-299D23A111DA.jpeg C6D4B804-6BD2-46BA-8471-8749127C1648.jpeg 754C675C-8D6D-4FE2-80A7-592D6DA2E86B.jpeg EFD2E521-09CA-42D1-93AD-F1B3729437C5.jpeg 4EC3973E-951C-47FF-932C-04AF0286EF63.jpeg
  2. Dan S Jun 11, 2022

I think the dial is legit (with some spotting), but the case has definitely seen a lot of polishing. Take a look at the lug holes, for example. Corrosion shows up now and then, but it's not particularly desirable. Overall, I'd consider this to be a fair example of the most common dial variant of a very common 34mm reference. If it has been serviced and available at a bargain price, maybe you could consider buying it to dip your foot into Rolex. But I would be very careful not to over-pay, and I'd really hesitate to invest in servicing it.

airansun and Engee like this.
  3. Engee Jun 11, 2022

Thanks Dan, so I should be looking for much smaller lug holes, that’s helpful for the future. The seller says it has never been polished which, given your comments, suggests I should be wary. The seller did not say it had been serviced, so that would be a requirement (I would always send a good watch for a service as a matter of routine) and that means another £2-300 I guess, and I wouldn’t buy a decent watch without servicing it.

I appreciate your comments.

thelinendial likes this.
  4. Dan S Jun 11, 2022

A little polishing isn't a dealbreaker for a watch like this, but the lug holes are cratered, and also extremely close to the end/edge of the lugs. Frankly, everything about the watch shows signs of substantial polishing IMO.

thelinendial and Engee like this.
  5. Canuck Jun 11, 2022

Avoid like the plague! The seat for the gasket in the case appears to be badly corroded. There is no way you’ll ever get this case to seal. The whole watch looks tired. How to try to resuscitate an old, tired out watch? Buy it cheap, and spend a bundle trying to return it to health! End up with a bad watch which cost you as much as a better one might have cost.

cbs59, thelinendial, NGO1 and 4 others like this.
  6. Engee Jun 11, 2022

I hear you!

7. johnireland Jun 11, 2022

A good way to research Rolex values is to go on eBay...and then search for completed auctions where the watch actually sold. Not just completed auctions...but ones that ended up in a sale. Forget looking at ongoing auctions. And read the feedback for the seller on every auction that has a watch you'd consider buying. Does the seller only deal in quality vintage watches, or do they sell everything under the sun, and now and then a watch. Save the sellers that you find to be ethical and experienced. This isn't a fast way to buy a watch, but it is a great way to learn your way around Rolexes. Don't be in a rush to buy...take your time, enjoy the research and the hunt.

mydeafcat, thelinendial and Engee like this.
  8. Davidt Jun 11, 2022

Everything about that case is poor. I assume it’s a UK sale so won’t be cheap and even then, I’d always rather pay more for a good example.

Definite pass for me.

Engee likes this.
  9. ALEJANDRO BOVONE Jun 12, 2022

are serial and model numbers on the sides of the case even visible? as mentioned above pitting on the case rim and case sides is severe. case overall polishing is not terrible but pitting is not a minor issue. polishing of the caseback is however really bad. it s rounded. dial lume plots are the best of the watch. if really cheap it s a kickstart. otherwise keep on looking

Engee likes this.
  10. Engee Jun 12, 2022

I passed, it sold for £1386. Not sure if that was a good price for the buyer but I didn’t fancy it given all the negative comments about it here.

11. S.H. Jun 14, 2022

It may have been bought for parts, a 1560 alone may sell for more. Maybe to use in a good spare case or to build a Franken more desirable model.