Forums Latest Members

Admonished for scratches on lugs

1. mbp Apr 19, 2022

Hello, friends. I started collecting Speedmasters last year and have a few limited editions that were previously owned by others. These were unpolished when I purchased them and have scratches from strap changes on the lugs.

I've been taking them to the OB to have the bracelets sized/changed and have purchased several new bracelets as well. Each time, my contact at the OB admonishes me for the scratches on the lugs and tells me to "stop doing these changes at home, just let me do them."

I keep explaining to her that these watches are second-hand and that the previous owners have changed the straps. The scratches don't really bother me because I plan on wearing my watches and don't consider them to be investments. Have you all had a similar experience when someone sees those small scratches from strap changes? Am I too nonchalant? Should I be considering these bottom-side lug scratches to be irreparable harm?

2. cvalue13 Apr 19, 2022

Let’s see pics of how bad we’re talking here :D

WYO_Watch, Taddyangle, mbp and 2 others like this.
  3. arno Apr 19, 2022

Scratches on the inner faces of the lgus are part of owning watches, wearing them, and swap strpa/bracelet from time to time.
    My watches have some becasue i do the swaps myself, sometimes not very carefully, but always pushing the springbars down when removing and up when inserting, to make sure the scratches are not visible.

It makes no sense to go to an OB to do so, especially when the closest OB is a few hours drive from my place.

4. alakapla1 Apr 19, 2022

I've scratched the underside of the lug while changing the bracelet on one of my speedies. I'm always changing the bracelet/straps. Personally I don't care. Ultimately I'm never going to sell the piece. So whether I get a scratch from a strap change or a small ding from accidentally knocking it, it's all part of the process of ownership

rob#1 and mbp like this.
  5. M'Bob Apr 19, 2022

I’m astonished you were admonished…

Shabbaz, noelekal, mbp and 8 others like this.
  6. 10mmauto Apr 19, 2022

I'm aware of what you did there....

Shabbaz and lindo like this.
  7. Evitzee Apr 19, 2022

An errant scratch or two is bound to happen even with the best of care, but I am surprised how cavalier some owners are to changing straps or bracelets and not caring how many marks are left on the lugs. A little care and preparation will prevent a lot of this damage.

3rdstringholder and apsm100 like this.
  8. arno Apr 19, 2022

I'd be far more concerned, and sad if i'd make a scratch on the sapphire or the lugs by hurtign the watch agaisnt a wall or something ...
    It's almost impossible for a lamba owner like me to not scratch the inner faces of the lugs if you change the straps pretty often

9. connieseamaster Apr 19, 2022

I'd be more annoyed that the sales person would keep repeating themselves despite being given an explanation.

mbp, blueteg, blufinz52 and 2 others like this.
  10. JwRosenthal Apr 19, 2022

What I love are the tool marks on top of the lugs from changing straps ::facepalm2::

11. Engee Apr 19, 2022

The OB wouldn't have admonished if the OP was accomplished.

lindo and maine-iac1 like this.
  12. bombaywalla Apr 19, 2022

well, the OP is not at fault here -- he is the 2nd/3rd/4th owner of these Speedys. damage done by prev owner(s)

13. bombaywalla Apr 19, 2022

Me three! :eek:

14. bombaywalla Apr 19, 2022

:D:D LOL! looks like the OB rep is taking it personally that these Omega watches have been "mauled" during strap/bracelet change. She feels she is their (watches) caretaker & her "babies" have undergone damage.....;);)

I personally think it's par for the course when you buy used -- some owners are very careful, others dont give a s***!. it's a location of the watch you wont look at even when you are wearing it.

Play her game, apologize & say you will be more careful the next time, get your job done thru her & be on your way......

15. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 19, 2022

An OB scratched a lug on my watch when swapping out the bracelet for a new leather strap. :D

Minor scratch, so it did not bother me. But I am surprised they are giving a watch owner crap for having scratches. .

16. ChiefMark Apr 19, 2022

I change straps rather frequently, and have definitely scratched the lugs on nearly every watch I own & wear. 99% of the time it's the inside or underside of the lugs. They're watches, not endangered bird eggs or original Matisse paintings.

MDubs, sonicosa, blufinz52 and 3 others like this.
  17. Yehoshua Apr 19, 2022

You needn't be annoyed. She's just dedicated and has her customer's interests at heart. Good advice, objectively speaking.

Edited Apr 19, 2022
  18. Engee Apr 19, 2022

Oh, I thought we were just playing word games.

mbp likes this.
  19. TexOmega Apr 19, 2022

Behold, I'm bemused at your bewilderment. :coffee:

20. bombaywalla Apr 19, 2022

sorry! i missed it completely! duh!! I see it now that you pointed it out.....:D:D:D

Engee, maine-iac1 and mbp like this.