Forums Latest Members

Adjusting the minute counter on a Valjoux 92 - an easy job or a PITA?

1. john_coburg Mar 7, 2021

Greetings all,
    I procured a nice-enough looking 60s Norexa chronograph with what i think is a Valjoux 92 (i'd happily be corrected) beating inside it, courtesy eBay for a couple of hundred quid last year....and never got round to tinkering with it until now. The minute hand doesn't reset to zero, and i'm wondering if it's an easy fix to simply pop out the movement and nudge the hand around to zero.... or if it's a whole load more complicated than that?
    Is this chrono creep, or does that only affect the hour counter hand?
    Many thanks as always.

norexa1.JPG norexa2.JPG norexa3.JPG

2. wsfarrell Mar 7, 2021

You wouldn't want to "nudge the hand around to zero;" you'd want to remove it and replace it to zero. Not hard to do, but takes a couple of special tools. It's "chrono-creep" if the hand moves very slowly when the chrono isn't running. For example, the hand is at Noon on Monday, and 1 o'clock on Tuesday.

Archer likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 7, 2021

You should take this to a watchmaker...

4. MRC Mar 7, 2021

Anything with a Val 92 for a couple of hundred is a good result! Nice pick, but as others have said if you don't have the tools and experience get it to someone who has. My suggestion is Rich Askham.

Aaaaand -- DIBS!

5. john_coburg Mar 7, 2021

Thank you all, i have contacted Rich. I have removed and reaffixed hands a few times but i always find it fiddly..best to let someone who knows what they're doing on it. But i guess the bottom line is it's not a huge problem (whereas i believe chrono creep is)