Forums Latest Members
  1. masviken Jul 6, 2017

I'm currently looking for a watch maker that can add feet to a speedmaster dial. Any suggestions, preferably in the EU?

Thanks,
    Tomas

fskywalker likes this.
  2. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jul 6, 2017

While it can be done, damage can also occur to the dial face.
    I don't know how valuable the your dial is but another option is the use of two-sided tape (I am sure there is a technical term used with watchmakers for these type of sticky dots)..
    Good luck and if you get it done, can you do before/after pics...

masviken likes this.
  3. Varnado Jul 6, 2017

There is a machine for this, I happen to have one but I am in the US and don't do work for anyone but myself. Contact the seller of the machine, he is in the UK and might be able to either do the repair for you or steer you in the right direction.

TTG is correct and there is about a 10% chance the dial surface can get damaged. It has happened in about 1 of every 9 or 10 repairs I have done but, I am not a pro so maybe guys who do this for a living can get that percentage down further.

fskywalker and masviken like this.
  4. JackDaniels83 Jul 6, 2017

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 6, 2017

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 6, 2017

Yep, it's called "hack work" in the industry...

Baz9614, fskywalker, bristnj and 4 others like this.
  7. 2ar2c1 Jul 6, 2017

that machine appears to work pretty well

8. Varnado Jul 6, 2017

In my experience, using those copper dial feet never works. There is a base to them and they raise the dial up too high causing all sorts of problems. Also, they cannot remain in place with any glue I have ever tried. Not epoxy, not superglue. The problem is that they get clamped on once they are in the movement in order to keep them in place. Depending on the watch its a screw or a cam but, the dial feet get "locked" into the movement. When you lock them you put stress and torque on the foot. This ultimately breaks the bond. I think on factory dials, the feet actually bend a tiny bit when clamped and this doesn't happen when they are glued on, they just fracture at the glue joint.

The tape dots do work. I have seen them used in cases of emergency but, not the most professional solution.
    Only the dial soldering machine works the way it is supposed to. I actually have a dial I recently did this to. Maybe I can snap a pic..

fskywalker likes this.
  9. JackDaniels83 Jul 7, 2017

I have used the copper feet two times now. Both are still in place. I do lock the feet in the movement then put glue on, the dial on top and then into the oven including the main plate. This prevents the feet from stress due to the mounting screws. Sometimes you have to modify the feet. Or they would not fit at all because there is not enough space between movement and dial, that's right.

I'm using this glue:
    https://www.technicoll.de/klebstoff/technicoll-9464.html
    It's expensive, but it works.

Never use superglue in watches, because it is causing fumes, that may leave a white film on the inside of the crystal and the dial. I would always prefer glued feet to the tape dots. The right way to do it is soldering with a machine that is shown above, but that does not work with pure copper or silver dials, because they are such good heat conductors. You would have to heat the complete dial, and the paint will not withstand this procedure.

10. Varnado Jul 7, 2017

Jack, putting the dial into an oven at any temperature would be a bit too scary for me. I assume that is to cure this special glue you linked. Sorry I cannot read German (?) but, I assume the heat cures the glue. Modifying the feet sounds easy but, you need to slowly grind down the base of the copper foot to get it thin enough to avoid the big gap it causes between dial and movement. Not fun and lots of trial and error.

fskywalker and TTG like this.
  11. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jul 7, 2017

LOL.. This thread is getting scary..

fskywalker and cristos71 like this.
  12. Varnado Jul 7, 2017

Heres one I did last week with the feet welded on using the machine. IMG_9562.JPG IMG_9563.JPG

fskywalker likes this.
  13. JackDaniels83 Jul 7, 2017

Your new dial feet are looking good.

What is getting scary?

Yes, the glue needs heat to cure. The more the better and 80°C at the maximum, 50°C are more than enough. That does not effect the dial in any way. What do you think sun does to a black dial?

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 7, 2017

I think you mean soldered...welding is a completely different process.

15. Varnado Jul 7, 2017

Yes, soldered.

The problem you face with the machine is similar to the copper feet...if you use too much solder then it will pool at the base of the foot and require you to shave it down for clearance with the movement. Too little and the repair fails because its too week.

My watchmaker actually has this crazy little tool that looks like a pin vice that shaves down the diameter of the foot and the weld pool at the base of the foot. That works half of the time, the other half of the time the tool just breaks off the foot.

The whole process takes time to learn. My WM actually asks me to do his feet because he thinks Im better at it than he is. We both have the same machine. I have seen him actually use one of those gel cool packs to cool the dial before he welds to avoid any heat potentially damaging the surface of the dial. Thats a whole n'other level of crazy :)

fskywalker likes this.
  16. masviken Jul 12, 2017

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'll have to consider the dial unusable and focus on sourcing a dial with feet. I'm now stuck with a Speedmaster 861 dial without feet and a 312 dial that doesn't fit :(

fskywalker likes this.
  17. Tmorehouse51 Jul 12, 2017

I have the exact machine and with some practice it works great!

fskywalker likes this.
  18. fskywalker Jan 5, 2019

Nice tool! I have seen other models as well for sale, they all basically do the same. Do you guys use copper rods from stranded electrical cables?