Forums Latest Members
  1. eldiano84 Apr 26, 2021

Has anyone done it, if so what are some pros and cons? I have this dumb idea of trade in an old rolex watch for a new one, going through ebay will make me loose money on the seller fees, plus final fees and stuff so I’m try to see what would be the best avenue of approach of course and have heard AD’s that sell Rolex usually trade up towards a new one but don’t know for how much? Thank you so much.

2. Faz Apr 26, 2021

My antennas go up when I read "old Rolex "

Some "old Rolex" are worth tenfold or more than a new one...

marco and JwRosenthal like this.
  3. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Apr 26, 2021

They will also be worth substantially more than what an AD would offer for trade in credit.

OP- what’s the watch?

JwRosenthal likes this.
  4. JwRosenthal Apr 26, 2021

No, you can’t sell it here yet, but we want to know what it is of course, and I’m sure a flurry of PM’s will follow, so let ‘er rip, might as well include pics as well and get it over with ;)

Nobel Prize, Faz and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  5. eldiano84 Apr 26, 2021

I don’t know why I have this dumb logic of thinking that I want my old watches to look like new. I never ever knew that old watches unrestored are a whole totally different beast when it comes to the aftermarket.

I also have this dumb idea of flipping the M16610 so I could pay the difference in getting a new 12660LN. I am sooo brainwashed into thinking new watches mean better but after looking into how much the M16610 go for I’m stuck. It was assembled in 1992 and just had this service back in October of 2020 with extensive work to make it look like it was brand new almost 18 years ago! Even got a new oyster bracelet from Rolex.

The reason I am stuck with the idea is because as watches get a bit older, Rolex swaps out the parts with newer parts, for example the crown is from the latest generation and they swapped out the crystal with a AR coating inside and out with the rolex logo by the 6 so with that said I am completely thinking I am just better off getting an upgraded model I think I don’t know.

It’s just a classic submariner with pin holes on the bracelet () but I just don’t know if AD’s match the outside market for the watches.

E85EF0A8-96F1-4ED1-91A5-B17ADAF90117.jpeg 1489886D-4D64-44F3-9F71-458218E9C595.jpeg 488175CE-868D-49E6-B04C-B79E405F395C.jpeg 98835EDB-E6E3-4675-9173-6302E22791F6.jpeg
  6. JwRosenthal Apr 26, 2021

Well, now you are in a pickle. Because this watch has been “restored” by Rolex, it has a service dial & hands, service bracelet, case has been reworked, and most likely a service bezel. It no longer has the tritium dial that people hunt these down for- so in essence, Rolex themselves have killed the collectible value of your watch.
    That said, to someone who wants a like new sub with new parts and full service- it’s probably a safe bet (provided you have the service paperwork). But to a collector, this watch is not of much interest.

Dan S, marco, Nobel Prize and 2 others like this.
  7. abgul Apr 26, 2021

And I would almost certainly say you will get better value from non Rolex dealers.

Nobel Prize and eldiano84 like this.
  8. eldiano84 Apr 26, 2021

I have all the paperwork from all the services, boxes and almost everything it came with, BUT funnily enough you mentioned the tritium, back in 2002 I water damaged the watch by leaving the crown opened on accident while “cleaning it” causing the entire inside to be flooded. LOL I sent it in to Rolex, which back then they were kind enough to send back the damaged parts, they literally sent back the bezel/movement/crystal /dial and hands. I have them somewhere but like you mentioned it’s no bueno in their current conditions. It’s disappointing that now they keep everything including the damn cleaning rag I wrapped my watch around with when I sent the watch in.

Anyways that’s the current pickle I am in and hence why I want to “start” over and not repeat the mistakes I learned through this journey I guess.

9. JwRosenthal Apr 26, 2021

You will get killed trying to trade it in. Any dealer would have to buy at max 60% market rate to be able to clear the profits they need and warranty the product themselves. It’s not greed or screwing the customer- it’s business. Some may be more generous than others and you may possibly get more leverage with an AD towards being bumped up the list for a new one based on your trade, but I assume they would want your watch immediately, give you a credit, then apply it towards the new sub whenever that comes in- and sell yours off the next day at a tidy profit.

Private sale always yields the best deal on both sides, but be realIstic about the value of your watch. You can’t look at a full kit original watch and compare it to yours- yours is no longer original. But it’s a nice watch and does indeed have value for someone looking for a nice small chassis sub that been redone by the factory.

eldiano84 likes this.
  10. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Apr 26, 2021

Despite your watch having service parts, it still is a valuable piece. If you don't care about the money and just want a simple trade/do over (if you will, based on your above comment), then a trade will be your easiest route. It does mean Rolex will give you much less than what the watch is worth- but again, if that doesn't matter to you...

However, if you sold the watch on say eBay, you will walk away with more money in hand to put towards the new piece than Rolex will give you for it- even after the eBay has taken their cut. You will make more money by selling it independently than you will by selling it to any dealer. Like I said, it is a nice piece, it is valuable, and not everyone is really interested in the original tritium. Some people like being able to read their watch at night, and well, the Rolex tritium would have been dead long ago. But, as said above, the value can't be compared to that of an all original piece.

JwRosenthal and eldiano84 like this.
  11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 26, 2021

What? I get the water damage but why would the bezel be damaged by water? If you have it around, sell it with the watch.

and when you say you opened it to clean it... what where you cleaning?, the movement?

As for your question on Rolex AD matching after market prices: NO. Not even close.

Even as is you can probably get for it
    More than you paid. The question is, where the hell are you going to find a new sub at retail price these days?

I have to admit I don’t get the path amd history of this watch to its current state, but I guess things happen, and happen.

Personally, because of its history with you and its state I would keep it. It must be good as new in function with all those services and new parts, you know it’s history and have been part of its metamorphosis through the years and it’s a damn good time piece. There is nothing wrong with it.

Keep it.

JwRosenthal and eldiano84 like this.
  12. eldiano84 Apr 26, 2021

Since the watch was purchased in Jan-1993 it was never serviced through Rolex, add in the water damaged and they did an extensive service which included the scratched out magnifier, bezel and everything on the inside. Made an incredible rookie mistake of just cleaning the watch but left the crown open by accident in 2002. It was just tap water that got inside. Once I saw the moisture through the dial it was game over. When I went to Iraq in 2004 for my first tour I was making enough money to finally send it to Rolex to get it fixed, I never knew they went all out by polishing the case and swapping parts and pieces to make it like new.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions I was so lost and now I see the light. Growing up I just kept to myself and my watches now that I’m on some forums I’ve learned a lot, especially growing up in Central America!

Edited Apr 26, 2021
  13. JwRosenthal Apr 26, 2021

^^^ I agree. It is basically a new sub, you already have it and don’t have to wait 2 years and kiss someone’s ass to get it.

Plus, have you tried a new sub on in comparison? They are very different watches and I much prefer the slimmer case of this vintage to the maxi-case of the new ones.

14. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Apr 26, 2021

I read it as the OP just wanted to clean the watch under the tap (Caseback still on) but accidentally had the crown unscrewed.

I have to agree with the others to just keep the piece. It's been serviced and received upgrades of its own. You have broken it in and can wear it freely while enjoying it. Though, I have to say I fully understand this mental back and fourth once you have basically succumbed to the idea wanting something new. Do you feel like you are missing out on something with the new case shape and upgrade to the movement?

Nobel Prize likes this.
  15. eldiano84 Apr 27, 2021

That’s exactly what happened, wanted to clean it under tap with a brush and some soap but I left the crown unscrewed. Given my limited understanding of English at the time I never knew you could send this watch to rolex for repairs and thought I was stuck with it as is, so it sat like that for a couple of years until I finally moved to the states, started going to local jewelry shops, told them my situation and they were like oh Hey you can get it repaired and that’s what I did. I bought this watch in the Free Trade Zone in Panama so they just distribute watches to South American and don’t really service watches. Like for example you can buy Brand new clothes at whole pricing and some jewelry and watch stores do the same.

I guess I was trying to do the same thing I did with my Omega seamaster 300m, i have 2531 but I also just bought the new diver 300m, but since omega’s are affordable I have the luxury of still owning both of them, I just wanted the upgrades which is the ceramic bezel and super luminova but since Rolex are harder to get nowadays I figured I had no choice but to trade in and see if i could upgrade.

It was a dumb reason to get a new rolex just for the ceramic bezel and Chromalight but now I plan to keep the old one and start earning enough to be able to acquire the new one, i hope that makes sense.

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  16. lillatroll Apr 27, 2021

Just to give you an example, I wondered how much I would be offered for a 1963 Oyster Perpetual with Oyster Bracelet. Dealers on Chrono 24 are asking 5000 euro for the same watch. A dealer offered me 1200 for mine. The bracelet alone can sell for north of 3k, (so I have been told anyway) I would expect to get over 3000 for it if I sold it privately. I think even with fees you would be better off selling it privately through Ebay or here when you have enough posts to do so.

eldiano84 and JwRosenthal like this.