Forums Latest Members
  1. Kdog1971 Jan 31, 2018

I just received my first Omega last night! A brand new Speedmaster Profesional moonwatch from Mdgrwl. I'll leave feedback and post photos later,beautiful watch.
    I want to size the band myself but will have to buy a vise and closest screwdriver I have is 1/16" . Has anyone had a watch damaged from an AD while sizing? My closest AD is Jared, those of you in USA will know they are a chain and I'm just worried they may not be competent. Are AD's required to have qualified watchmakers on hand? Anyone have a problem with Jared's in particular ?

2. Linzer Jan 31, 2018

It doesn't have to be an AD or boutique. Any reputable watchmaker can do it for you. Not every AD, boutique has an on-site watchmaker, but they usually have a technician for small jobs like sizing a bracelet.
    Congrats on your purchase! Enjoy your Speedy!

3. jetkins Jan 31, 2018

Speaking from experience, you really need to get the proper screwdriver for the job - using one that's "close enough" will result in frustration, damage, or both. Here's what I wrote about the subject a couple of weeks ago: https://omegaforums.net/threads/new-arrival-need-screwdriver.65862/page-2#post-873638

For strap sizing, you don't actually need a vise but a slotted block to hold the band, and you may need a pin punch to remove the pins once you have removed the screws. For those items you can get away with lower quality, since precision is not as critical, This kit, for instance, would probably suffice if used with a quality screwdriver.

Kdog1971 likes this.
  4. Kdog1971 Feb 5, 2018

Thanks @jetkins I bought the Whia 1.8mm from Amazon and had no trouble at all. Used a band vise and that's it no heat, boiling water, etc..

jetkins likes this.