Forums Latest Members

Act Fast - 14k Men's Watch - Seems Like A Good Deal For You Guys!

1. Mary255 Sep 22, 2012

2. seamonster Respectable Member Sep 22, 2012

Respectable Member Mary255

I will not want to buy any watch with a refinished or reconditioned dial.

In my opinion, it is a real ugly looking watch. The dial is like a desert with a single palm tree.

Thank-you.

3. ulackfocus Sep 22, 2012

It ended with zero bids and that doesn't surprise me. The size, the diamond marker, and the style don't translate well to modern tastes. Stretch that watch to 38 mm, remove the diamond and replace it with an applied Ω symbol, then put a caliber 26x inside and there would have been some action.

Mary, it is a correct watch - but most Omega collectors wouldn't want it. A novice wouldn't believe it's real because it's not the typical Omega look, and a veteran is after bigger and more popular prey.

4. Mary255 Sep 22, 2012

I see - this is getting more complicated than I thought. LOL! I must have made many mistakes - I know I already have.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 22, 2012

From what I've seen, you've done quite well. The great thing about ladies watches is that they are relative bargains when compared to men's watches. Back before gold prices got crazy, I bought a couple of them for my mom and sister for under $100 each, both solid 14K, one with real emerald markers.

What's real funny is that when they were new, the ladies watches were almost always more expensive than equivalent men's watches, metal values aside. Mostly because of the extra cost of miniaturizing the movements. Far more labor in making a small movement back then.

It's just that this particular watch has zero appeal to collectors with a redone (very nice job) dial. BTW, several brands made these "Museum" watches before Movado bought the exclusive rights from the designer.

gatorcpa

6. seamonster Respectable Member Sep 23, 2012

Respectable Member gatorcpa

I used to love Movado watches, so much. Try winding one with a bumper automatic, it is so smooth and soft, like a knife cutting through butter.

However, when Movado introduced the 'Museum' watch, I knew at once they were bankrupt of ideas. Maybe, it is a modern art but I will never be able to learn to appreciate. I do not know, where lies the so-called beauty.

Thank-you.