Forums Latest Members

Accutrons mostly worthless!

1. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 4, 2016

Imagine my surprise to go look at completed eBay auctions and see most of the Accutrons selling for $100 or less. Even some of the Spaceview-looking pieces. I guess I'll hang onto mine until I can find someone to give it to.

Tom

(ps JB Champion mesh in the proper 11/16" size)

IMG_0476.jpg
  2. Canuck Apr 4, 2016

No parts, few that can (or will) work on them! To be expected, I guess! Maybe I should dump my 13 Accutrons ........... Nah! My 52 year old Accutron 214 looks and runs like new! Second dial, third circuit assembly, third index wheel, but runs like new. And enough parts watches to keep it going until I can no longer see to fix it! Sorry for the lousy file photo.

image.jpeg

3. redpcar Apr 4, 2016

Nice piece. The reason for the low value of the Space Views is that it is very common to assemble a standard Accutron to look like a Space View. Jules Borel even sells the kits. The fan base that pays good money for them is very knowledgeable.
    I have a couple Accutrons. Favorite is the Astronaut GMT. Goes pretty high. $600 to $800 for a nice example.
    In general, I'm not a big fan because of their need for service.......that I can't do :( and their stupid batteries (1.35V on the 214.)
    Yours is a 218 based version and can take a 1.5V which is a plus. Typically less value than the 214 based units but have larger cases so I like them better in general.
    If I buy one cheap and it runs, I sell it asap...........before it stops.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 4, 2016

Hot house flowers. I've a 214 M6 Frankenstein space view that my wife likes to wear. I keep wsrning her not to knock it against anything. Very few watchmakers want to deal with them but love the hum.

5. Canuck Apr 4, 2016

All of my 214 and 218 Accutrons run well on the 1.55 volt battery. Usually, only a minor re-phasing is all that is needed to tune them to the higher voltage.

6. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 4, 2016

Ah come on, everybody needs a hummer once in a while.;)
    [​IMG]

Tjmmartin, D YOUNG, OMGRLX and 7 others like this.
  7. Canuck Apr 4, 2016

Right!

image.jpeg

8. redpcar Apr 4, 2016

My favorite Accutron..............

Astronaut.jpg

D YOUNG, peatnick, duc and 1 other person like this.
  9. redpcar Apr 4, 2016

btw, you can find these cheap on ebay from time to time under "Bulova". If they mention Accutron or Astronaut, give it up ;)

pitpro likes this.
  10. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 4, 2016

I think you're the one that got me to start buying these. lol

11. redpcar Apr 4, 2016

You have the nicest example I have ever seen for what it's worth.

pitpro likes this.
  12. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 4, 2016

I've been looking for one like yours with the lumed second hand.
    Prices are great.

RawArcher likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Apr 4, 2016

Interesting watches that have their place in horological history, but they're money pits. (Sort of like owning a boat.)

14. flw history nerd Apr 4, 2016

I have a 214 from the mid- to late '60s that belonged to my stepdad. I've been wanting to get it up and running, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I live in the Detroit area, so if anyone has any suggestions as to where I can get it serviced, I'd sure appreciate it.

15. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 4, 2016

Wes Grau in Gurnee IL has a stock of parts and will service them. Mine is dry and filthy inside and the pivots have no oil... and the darn thing still keeps time to spec, 30 seconds a month. I guess I'll have it serviced. I paid a lot of money to an unnamed bozo who indeed got it running... but never cleaned it. Said bozo claims "recommended by Bulova" on his site, which is how he draws them in, I think.

Tom

16. Egatdagi Apr 5, 2016

I have a 214 and a 218. Both are humming along nicely and keeping good time. The second hand on the 214 doesn't run anymore but there is no one locally who will touch it due to the lack of parts. They sit undisturbed in my watch box because I don't want to risk them. I spend my time playing with my Longines Ultronic and my f300hz Omegas. They hum too and I can get them repaired locally.
    [​IMG]

17. Canuck Apr 5, 2016

I said in an earlier post that I had 13 Accutrons. Actually, it's 15, plus two Accutron tuning fork (quartz) models, and one Accutron 955Q (quartz) model, and one LED Bulova Computron digital. Shown here, all together. Of course, this is not counting all my "project" and parts Accutrons. (Things being how they are with Accutrons, it is indeed helpful to have a few "donor" Accutrons around.)

image.jpeg

redpcar likes this.
  18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 5, 2016

So this I think is my official noob tax watch bought off e bay years ago without a lot of thought. From what I now discern from research I should have done it's a franken watch. My wife likes it. I assume you folks would agree? I still love the space view idea but am put off by the fragility and lack of parts / service. image.jpeg image.jpeg

19. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 5, 2016

I don't think the parts are an issue.
    There are plenty of NOS coils available and
    also the index wheels, probably the 2 parts
    that fail most. The watches were ubiquitous in so
    many variations that sourcing parts isn't a concern.
    Finding someone to repair them isn't that hard either.
    Googling will turn up a few that specialize in only these.
    The have their place in history. Used on Space vehicle
    dash boards, X-15 pilots, astronauts, dare I say the favorite
    watch of NASA employees back in the day. Great still modern
    size. Supreme accuracy. What's not to like?

Tjmmartin and Private_Doberman like this.
  20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 5, 2016

Bought this one about 2 years ago for the princely sum of $85:

[​IMG]
    That's about half what it sold for when new in 1970:

[​IMG]
    That's the "BZ" in the middle!

Wore on my tour of Israel in December. After three weeks of constant wear, it was less that 5 sec. off.

If you can get one that works, it may be the best vintage watch bargain out there.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

redpcar likes this.