Forums Latest Members
  1. Dal Nov 2, 2016

My profile picture shows my 40th birthday present to myself bought this time last year. It was very expensive for me but I had dreamed of one of these high end watches for years. BUT I am feeling deflated, i have sent it back twice in the year because it keeps gaining time. They send it back say nothing is wrong. I set it yesterday with http://time.is/ at 21:40:00 I checked it minutes ago at 20:26:00 and again my watch was at 20:26:05. Surely a watch costing several thousand pounds should be able to keep time within 24 hours ??? But I am new to this and will bow to your better judgement. Thanks

Knezz likes this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 2, 2016

Hi Dal,

Here's some info for you to begin to understand what's acceptable and what's not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC

If I'm not mistaken, the Aqua Terra is COSC Chronometer, so variation of -4/+6 is within the acceptable range, though many owners get better (and I'd bet some get worse).

You will probably get more details on this thread too.

cheers to you for putting up an avatar! welcome aboard and stick around. this place is a blast!

Dal likes this.
  3. merowinger Nov 2, 2016

I have the same, it's +/- 1sec per day. Sorry for you.
    [​IMG]

watchme and Dal like this.
  4. Dal Nov 2, 2016

Thanks mate, I the link very informative I'd get it more if it gained and lost seconds daily so the net effect is minimal so constantly within the tollorance but mine seems to just gain - if it don't keep the time I've just bought a bracelet.... Sad I'm being so negative but hoped for much more

5. Linzer Nov 2, 2016

That is within tolerances. Try to enjoy your watch and worry less about it. There is nothing wrong with it. It's a fine mechanical device and will never be -0 +0 accurate.

Dal likes this.
  6. Dal Nov 2, 2016

Thanks Linder - I do enjoy it probably just don't understand it and would rather it gain every day... I guess a battery style for my 50th !!.

7. Dal Nov 2, 2016

Thanks Linder - I do enjoy it probably just don't understand it and would rather it DID NOT gain every day... I guess a battery style for my 50th

8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Nov 2, 2016

If absolute accuracy to the second is your requirement then perhaps a mechanical watch is not what you need. Something like a high accuracy quartz or a synchronous watch like a Casio Wave Ceptor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_Wave_Ceptor might be a better choice.

Or just look at your mobile phone............;)

Dal likes this.
  9. VillageIdiot Nov 2, 2016

Sadly, that's the harsh reality of mechanical watches. People buy them for the look and the prestige, and not for the accuracy. As much as people try to deny it, most luxury watches are basically jewelry. The reality is that quartz is a lot more accurate and a lot more cheaper. If you want the "best" accuracy, you need to get something like an atomic/GPS watch, assuming that these will work for you.

(Side note: new Rolexes are supposed to be within +/- 2sec/day. Still not as good as quartz, but better than many mechanical watches.)

Morrisdog and Dal like this.
  10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 2, 2016

As I understand it, watches can also lose or gain depending on their position. Try changing the way it's stored at night (assuming you don't wear it). Try a few nights dial up, or on the crown side, or on the non-crown side.

You may find a position that slows it down a bit over night, so over all it gains less in a 24 hour period.

The other option is to get another watch or two into rotation. With more watches, you wouldn't have to wear the same one for a straight 24 hours, and then you wouldn't notice. :)

watchme, Dal, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  11. PowerChucker Nov 2, 2016

Wow doesn't seem like mechanical watches are for you, unless someone gave you bad info and set your expectations too high. if a watch running within COSC specs bothers you, any other mechanical will drive you insane! My automatics are like +-40 or so.
    Have you looked at Grand Seiko? Maybe a spring drive would work well, plus they look amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dal likes this.
  12. w.finkenstaedt Nov 2, 2016

I just set most of my watches while watching tv on Monday night (first day of my weekend). Since they're all chronometers (except for my Speedmaster which I only wear on Tuesday), so they're within a minute or so when I go to put them on.

I don't really care about a few seconds here or there. If I did, I'd wear a G-Shock or something soulless like that. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dal and Foo2rama like this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 3, 2016

Omega's tolerances for daily rate are from -1 to + 6 seconds for this watch. Note that these are daily numbers, so what the watch can do every day and still be within tolerances. So it can gain as much as 6 seconds every single day, and still be within tolerances, which is why they keep sending it back telling you there's nothing wrong with it, and they are right.

It might be possible to get it regulated closer, but the reality is it will sill still gain or lose a bit each day, and as noted by others the position you store it in overnight can have an effect on that, so I would recommend trying different positions at night to see if there is one that slows the watch. By the way, most people prefer a watch to run a little fast, rather than a little slow.

I know you mention cost and accuracy being tied together, and there was a time when that was the case, but the invention of the quartz watch ended that paradigm, and mechanical watches are just a relatively expensive anachronism these days.

Cheers, Al

mozartman, Dal and Riviera Paradise like this.
  14. Riviera Paradise Nov 3, 2016

I think many of us go through this accuracy obsession at the start of a mechanical watch collection:) Relax and enjoy your beautiful watch.

Dal likes this.
  15. kkt Nov 3, 2016

Part of the ritual of owning a mechanical watch is winding it and setting it every day. It should be a pleasant task. If it's not, perhaps high accuracy quartz is more your thing. Nothing wrong with that.

Why (some) people are happy to pay a lot more for mechanicals: They will probably last longer, it's not unusual for 100 year old mechanicals to run very well, as long as replacement parts are available. Design and construction are to a higher standard. The ticking heartbeat almost like a living thing.

Dal likes this.
  16. Canuck Nov 3, 2016

And if and when that great cataclysm from the sky descends upon us, debilitating every electronic device on the face of the earth (let's hope the rumours are unfounded), your Omega will still be functioning perfectly. Thereby, you can deflect your concerns regarding accuracy to matter of far greater concern!

Dal likes this.
  17. Dal Nov 3, 2016

Thank you for all your comments all very kind and informative and They have started to change my mind set about how I see my watch - so my final question to move me to a believer again is why did my watch cost as much as it did - what have I bought - what should I be proud of??? What should Tell the people that say it was a waste of money??? All post on here are mature so value your opinions and respect your knowledge. Thanks

Knezz and PowerChucker like this.
  18. dx009 Nov 3, 2016

I don't think we can (nor should we) tell you what YOU should be proud of regarding your acquisition.

People buy a 70,000$ car yet they could have bought a 30,000$ car that satisfied the same needs. If you can afford it and you like it/want it then buy it, if you don't then don't. Simple as that. :)

19. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Nov 3, 2016

You're wearing a mechanical device that's 99.9939% accurate. If you're not impressed by that, then mechanical watches are definitely not for you. As far as the value proposition of your watch versus say a Seiko mechanical, I'll leave that to others as that doesn't interest me. Luxury items are what they are - @dx009 summed it up pretty well.

20. Canuck Nov 3, 2016

I once heard a BMW owner handle the question of why he would spend twice as much as e needed to, to obtain a car that wouldn't serve his purpose better than a car of half the price. His answer? "Keeps the riffraff out of the neighbourhood!"

Edited Nov 3, 2016