Forums Latest Members
  1. OJsakila Mar 3, 2013

I'm loving my newly purchased caliber 570 1960 Seamaster. (Thank you Kyle)

I have been keeping track of the time in daily check points with the Atomic clock. It has only been three days but it appears I am averaging a loss of about 8 seconds in every 24 hour period. Roughly that is -5 minutes a month. Is this acceptable? I'm happy with the watch I just want to know what your vintage omegas are in comparison to mine. I know a fine watch will "bend" a little in time keeping I just want to make sure I'm within acceptable limits ... Thanks .

Paperwork was sent with the watch that verified servicing in November 2012. I should be good for 3-5 years, I assume.....

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

That Seamaster is a non-chronometer movement, so that's actually not bad. If its consistently -8 you can get it regulated cheaply and easily to get it dialed in a bit tighter, but it sounds like its running well.

3. ulackfocus Mar 3, 2013

Mechanical watches are not computer controlled. What you're experiencing is common. As Ash / dsio said if it bothers you a watchmaker can regulate it to lose a little less time, but it's nothing to worry about.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

For that watch I think that is actually pretty good.

5. chiko7734 Mar 3, 2013

I wish my vintage omegas were that accurate!

6. OJsakila Mar 3, 2013

Hey all right! :) Very happy with your responses. Ok it's nice to know that everything is as it should be... Thanks again!

7. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 3, 2013

There's a little trick to regulate the watch for minor differences such as yours.

When you go to bed at night record exactly how fast or slow watch is. Then repeat when you
    get up in the morning. Try putting the watch face up, crown up, and crown down. Even
    watch propped up on it's lugs with strap can be tried.
    One of these positions should lose less time than the others(or gain). Then with this method
    maybe you can cut the 8 seconds down to 3-4 seconds and have your watch in
    Chronometer spec timekeeping.

8. OJsakila Mar 3, 2013

Hmmm.. Excellent advice. I will try that. Thnx