Forums Latest Members
  1. Pakiwi Sep 13, 2016

For my own self interest I decided to track the accuracy of my Speedmaster 3523.30
    Over the last 6 weeks it is consistently -3 to -4 seconds off each day accumulating in -121.0 seconds off last month.
    Although this is consistent, can adjustment move this accuracy on a daily basis to ~1s or is this just because I am consistently wearing it and my activities are pretty regular.
    I wear it 24 hours a day except when I am out on the bicycle.
    I know its not COSC certified and the accuracy is consistent, but just curious.
    No I'm not going to take the back off and adjust.

2. Bushido Sep 13, 2016

Omega lists its accuracy for non COSC watches at -1 to +11 sec/day. I presume then that this watch could be brought back into spec via service.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2016

When was it last serviced? Although the Cal. 1151 in that watch is not COSC rated, it should be way better than that...

4. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 13, 2016

looks like your watch is running great within a deviation of 1s/day ... you just need to move your "center" up 4 seg

[​IMG]

not really rocket-surgery, just take it slow and push it 1 notch to the + side and then observe for 24hrs

(evtl. take a pic of the regulator setting BEFORE starting)

Pun and Pakiwi like this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2016

Nope, but since the case back gasket is a one use only item, a new one will be needed, plus a proper case press, and the dies and skills to use it. That is if the watch is stable enough to be regulated, and doesn't need a service...

Pakiwi likes this.
  6. speedbird Sep 13, 2016

I always liked the way Omega finished the ETA based calibers. No-nonsense but still nice to look at.

7. Canuck Sep 13, 2016

Archer is correct. But your friendly Omega watchmaker is quite well equipped to deal with the fallout from trying to regulate it yourself! If you're bound to do it yourself, do some research on the best timing machine to buy!

8. ulackfocus Sep 13, 2016

There's two way to have an accurate watch.

1) It's put together and adjusted well.

2) All the errors are canceling each other out.

:p

Consistent timekeeping is good, and usually means only minor regulation is necessary.

Pun likes this.
  9. Pakiwi Sep 13, 2016

It's at the 5 year mark now. Probably getting near that time.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 13, 2016

Timekeeping is not a reliable indicator of movement condition...as I have shown here before...

11. flyingout Sep 14, 2016

Or buy a watch without a second hand. I can't remember which expert I learned that from.

ulackfocus likes this.
  12. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Sep 14, 2016

Or buy lots of watches and change them daily

RegF likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 14, 2016

Hey, just because there's no seconds hand, doesn't mean it can't be accurate...this is the last watch I serviced without a seconds hand about 6 weeks ago...a PAM 112:

[​IMG]

If you look at the Delta of 3.6 seconds over 6 positions at full wind, and compare that to all Omegas COSC or Master Chronometer watches, this is way better than what the Omegas require. Those watches all allow up to 12 seconds of variation measured over 5 positions at full wind - I have a little over 1/4 of that here over 6 positions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When doing my real world timing checks in 6 positions for 24 hours each, plus a day on the winder to simulate wearing the watch, the variation was only 3 seconds over all 7 tests - you can judge the accuracy by when the minute hand tip is centered on the edge of one of the markers:

[​IMG]

Most Panerai guys don't care much about this, but I do...:)

Cheers, Al

Deafboy, Jwit, ahartfie and 1 other person like this.
  14. Pakiwi Sep 14, 2016

And now the tough decision, is it time to pick up something so when it goes in for servicing, so I have something on my wrist.
    Now I know what I will be doing at lunch time.

15. Kwijibo Sep 15, 2016

121 sec a month is a bit toom much. Some advice : don't try to regulate it yourself if you have no experience. Slow/fast inidction is not the only data that show a watch works correctly.
    As for COSC it does not mean that a watch without cosc can't work almost even better. And a cosc keeps on "coscking" if it's well serviced.

16. Waltesefalcon Sep 15, 2016

I'm going to play devils advocate here and say go ahead and try to regulate it. If it has been five years since your last service it is probably about time to get it serviced anyway and your watchmaker can correct any mistake you make while trying to regulate it yourself. The only way you will get any experience in setting the regulation is in doing it.

Pun likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 15, 2016

You willing to pay for any damage he might do following your advice?

Just playing devil's advocate...;)

18. Canuck Sep 15, 2016

Can you REALLY believe he would recommend that?::screwloose::

19. Kwijibo Sep 15, 2016

well let's make a scenario
    1. he regulate it more or less and does not break antyhitng : it will need service anyway
    2. he screws it up : it will need service + repair
    3. he doesn't touch anything and have it services : life is good with a nice watch + a serious watchmaker will regulate it anyway

20. Pakiwi Sep 15, 2016

I live just outside of Lancaster Pennsylvania (Previously home of Hamilton) , so have a few options to drop it off somewhere. Just looking at other watches to wear in the mean time. Too many choices and not enough $$$
    Thanks for the info