Forums Latest Members

Acceptable tolerance time accuracy

1. JLMedia Jan 19, 2016

Being brand new to non Quartz watches and having just purchased my very first luxury time pieces, namely a Speedmaster Pro manual and a Seamaster SM300 coaxial 8400.
    How accurate would I expect these watches to be?
    The SM300 seems to be more accurate and at present I am roughly seeing it running around 4 seconds fast over a 24 hour time period.
    The Speedy Pro is edging towards 8+ seconds I believe.
    I will confirm this more accurately tomorrow as I have only done a rough check so far.

I seem to have read something somewhere that the watches have to settle in a bit first, so give them 6-8 weeks to get a better indication.
    Whilst I am happy with that, if it then turns out to be well outside of acceptable tolerance levels I would then be outside of my consumer rights to an exchange for a brand new unit and would have to accept a repair. This is something I would not be comfortable with given that I only bought them both last Friday 15th January and of course, we are not talking about a few hundred pounds here.

I am keen to know if Omega have limits they set in place and how I stand should this be outside of those limits.
    The truth is, I didn't think I would care if it kept great time etc as I only saw them as a beautiful accessory but on reflection, having spent a decent sum of money, I would like to know the item is performing as it should.

Oh I also seem to recall reading something about winding at certain times and leaving the watch in a certain position whilst not wearing. Could be total speculation but am keen to hear.

Thanks in advance.
    Jason

2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jan 19, 2016

This may sound flippant but I couldn't care less really. I love them for more than just the time-telling as silly as that sounds for a watch. I've never once timed them to test for accuracy. I suppose if I looked at it and it was miles out it'd raise concerns but if we're talking seconds it doesn't bother me. Plus I have a few on rotation and generally they stop between wears, so I have to reset them anyway.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 19, 2016

Heaps of posts on the above by people new to manuals and automatics. Just search google and you will see heaps on all watch forums.

1 or 2 even up to 10seconds either way each day is common doesn't matter how much you paid. These will never have Quartz accuracy

There is a thread below worth reading (my post especially)
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-watch-sales-and-timekeeping.34400/

greenecollector and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 19, 2016

Read the manual provided with your watches, the tolerance should be there. Tipi ally for Omega COSC it would be -4/+6

Now, let me clarify what that means to you in real life.

The tolerance is measured under a set period of time, varying environment and positions, and then averaged. So when you look anxiously at your watch and see what it has lost or gaIned on 12 hours, 24 hours or, as some , members have done in the past 4 hours; you are not being fair to yourself or the watch. If the watch is resting on a table, face up, face down, sideways or on your wrist it will act differently. You ne position may make it gain a second, the other lose 3, then it will lose 4 and gain 6. In short, if you must, wear it normally for a few days, say 5 days, then meassure the time, and then figure out if it's within tolerance.

Now. If it is NOT, your watch does not need repair ( most likely) just regulating. This is a very easy process that requires no tampering. The watches are designed to be regulated +|_ within tolerance and have the regulator for it. It takes little time for a watchmaker. It is important that you do the several day test, avoiding obsessing daily so you can tell the watchmaker on what direction to regulate.

Hope this helps

Maximus84 likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 19, 2016

@Nobel Prize what was the thread a while ago by the Uni fella that flipped a heap of watches in short time and dropped a watch from 1 ft and used a Brillo pad on the bracelet and opened the back of the watch then wanted to sell it..

He had a crazy 6 page thread that started similar.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  6. Maximus84 Jan 19, 2016

One thing I will add: specifically for the Speedy Pro, it is not COSC certified thus the tolerance is -1 to +11 seconds per day. As I, along with many, have learnt (notably from excellent posts by Archer here) there are indeed many factors that affect accuracy and indeed how the tolerances are applied (positional variation, temperature etc).

I've had my Speedy Pro for just over a year now (bought new) and it's hardly been off my wrist. I keep a track of the accuracy and found that as I have travelled round the world, different locations, climates etc have affected the accuracy in various ways. I not only know know this, I know how it runs when resting in various Positions. It runs slower when dial up, faster when crown up. I then use this knowledge to keep the time within 10s of atomic time, without ever actually adjusting the watch.

Some people may think this is a bit OTT and not required or a lot of hassle. However I need my watch to be reasonably accurate, and I have enjoyed the process of learning exactly how my watch runs and operates in different environments. It allows me to bond with the watch as mine and mine alone, not just another quartz or even another Speedy!

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 19, 2016

8400 tolerances are -1 to +6 seconds per day average rate.

1861 tolerances are -1 to +11 seconds per day average rate.

Both your watches are running just fine based on the numbers you posted...

Cheers, Al

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 19, 2016

Yes.... I've chosen to forget the actual thread. And that's why I'm trying to anticipate by giving some relevant info at the start

STANDY likes this.
  9. italy1861 Jan 19, 2016

oddboy, STANDY and Nobel Prize like this.
  10. OSP Jan 19, 2016

This confirms your watches are fine. If you notice Archer's avatar you will notice what it says underneath.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  11. JLMedia Jan 19, 2016

Cheers guys. Really appreciate the thorough feedback.
    Some really interesting points raised,

Thanks again

Nobel Prize likes this.
  12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 19, 2016

Enjoy your watches!! and bare in mind that one of the great things of mechanical and automatic watches is that they are sort of living entities, subject to gravity, weather and other temperamental issues.

The magic of these little bastards is the fact that they endure, day in and day out, and keep ticking along with just the aid of a couple of coils and springs. That is why collectors and hobbyists make such a fuss over anti magnetic this or that, shock absorbing, time accuracy and movement complications....aside from the true experts and watchmakers, who are so used to it by trade; to some of us it is still a bewitching craft.

Pathfinder919 and ahartfie like this.
  13. duc Jan 19, 2016

Something that may give you a little more peace of mind: Each day when I wind my Pro, I check the sweep of the second hand (when it crosses 60 seconds) against my cell phone clicking over to the next minute. Like yours, mine is 5 - 8 seconds fast each day. When I reach 1 minute fast, I reset the time to the best of my ability.

As an aside, my watches (except for the atomic clock synchronized G-Shock) are set five minutes ahead anyway, so for me, this drill is somewhat pointless. I just have a policy of being early. Even though I know my watches are set ahead, I still use the displayed time to run my schedule.

14. jaggers Jan 25, 2016

Ive an 8400 SM300 and surprised it consistently runs +8s on a winder. On the wrist it seems to be closer to +3s. But I am getting much better results from other calibers that aren't COSC. Does this matter? I think to Omega it should as COSC is reason enough to charge a premium. I am hoping mine is an exception but will see what Omega think is "normal".

15. Canuck Jan 25, 2016

It would be difficult to make a meaningful comment on the performance of this watch, not knowing the age of the watch, and what the service history is. You say you are getting better performance from other watches that don't have the pedigree of the subject watch! Are you saying that these "other" watches are performing to within 3 seconds per day? How many of them are Quartz?

16. jaggers Jan 26, 2016

My 8400 is a newly purchased SM300 Master Chronometer. Hence I'm not particularly impressed. It has not been serviced and I'm considering sending it back to omega for a first service under warranty. This should not be needed for a new Omega. Maybe the watch needs a few more months to bed down but the wide variability I'm observing especially running consistently fast and outside COSC tolerances on a winder makes me think this is outside an Omega norm.

My other watches I would reference here are all mechanical automatics, none Quartz. My best Omega performer is another SM 300M that has never been serviced, calibre 1120 from 2004 and runs +2-3s fast.

I don't just have ETA. My most reliable calibre is an in-house K1 movement by Horage.

17. Fernando Feb 10, 2016

Thanks for all the informations

18. Fernando Feb 10, 2016

I never know that the speedy was not a COSC

19. Pvt-Public Feb 10, 2016

Since nothing in my life is to the second, as long as I'm not late for dinner, all is well.

Pathfinder919 and javadave61 like this.
  20. jimdgreat1 Feb 11, 2016

There are several smart phone apps that let you check and chart your watches. I think it's fun. I have 2 that will run +/- 1 second a day.