Forums Latest Members
  1. reeftone May 2, 2014

Hello all

I apologize if there is already a thread for this topic. I looked but couldn't find anything.

I have been scoping out vintage seamasters for awhile now and I think its about time I pop on one. But first I would like a little insight form anyone that knows a little more then me. I found a piece on ebay that I would like to purchase. (I know ebay is the last place a inexperienced buyer like me should be looking but my budget is limited) The movement matches that case but everything else I'm in the dark. The seller is out of Singapore with plenty of watch transactions and good feedback. Also there is a authenticity guarantee and a 14 day return policy. If I purchase this Item I plan on getting it checked out as soon as I receive it.

If you can review the pictures and tell me if anything stands out it would greatly be appreciated.

It appears the dial isn't original. Is it even a authentic omega dial? I noticed the bottom doesn't have the "swiss" marking.
    Also one of the gears has a "Z" (marked with a yellow arrow) on it. Ive never seen this marking in any omega gears before. Could it be a non omega replacement part?

753347967_o.jpg 753347962_o.jpg 753347959_o.jpg 753347958_o.jpg 753347888_o.jpg 753347883_o.jpg 753347974_o.jpg 753347971_o copy.jpg 753347968_o.jpg

With a watch of this age I'm not to worried about it being 100 percent original. I do want to make sure any replacements are genuine omega.
    Thanks for the help

2. reeftone May 2, 2014

Also can anyone put a value on this? I wouldn't want to overpay for it.

3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! May 2, 2014

I'll probably regret this but here I go:

This forum -message board has many of the top Omega collectors in the world. This is not hyperbole or any exaggeration.

why not consider purchasing a watch from the private collection of a known
    Omega collector instead of some rusty looking watch from Singapore? No offense to Singapore as it's a lovely place and I've enjoyed my time there but the climate ain't exactly watch friendly.

Here you go:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/exce...shell-14k-gf-spectacular-original-dial.12733/

I'm not sure what your budget is but I'm sure this seller is negotiable, especially for an honest buyer looking to get involved in this kooky hobby of ours.

This seller has a stellar reputation.

FYI: I have no relationship with this seller but I'm aware of his reputation. Even if you have to pay an extra 50 lousy bucks, he's already done all the work for you!

PROVENANCE is important in this hobby and you should always try to buy the seller not the watch.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 2, 2014

I'd have to disagree about Singapore not being watch friendly, I was over there a couple of months ago and watches were nearly a religion, in terms of traffic by city to the forum the top cities are:

1: New York
    2: London
    3: Singapore

citizenrich likes this.
  5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! May 2, 2014

Yes, watches are like a religion to many Singaporeans (is that the proper nomenclature?) and are treated as sacred objects. I meant no disrespect to that wonderful nation but the weather is…hot and humid as ****. Not a big deal for modern watches but vintage might be a different story. The watch the original poster posted pictures of looks like it spent some quality time in a sauna and steam room. Sorry, but that's what it looks like to me.

I knew I'd regret this. HA

6. Northernman Lemaniac May 2, 2014

Visited them all. I think climate is the key to the statement why Singapore is not watch friendly.
    Lovely as it is, the climate is damp 24/365.
    Watches from non-tropical areas tends to last longer in my experience.

reeftone and citizenrich like this.
  7. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. May 2, 2014

As you've mentioned, dial is probably original Omega but has been refinished which greatly reduces the collectability and value of the watch. I will wait out for one which is original. Nice original black dial seamasters though scarce, are not exactly uncommon.

reeftone and citizenrich like this.
  8. reeftone May 2, 2014

Thanks for all of the replays! The climate point makes complete sense. I think I may pass on this buy.

Citizenrich thank you for the link. That is a beautiful seamaster! But unfortunately it is out of my price range.
    I am wanting to spend $450 tops on something. Am I living in a fairy tale with that budget? Like I stated this will be my first omega and decent timepiece for that matter, so Im not to particular about purchasing a flawless item. In fact I kind of like them aged as I see it as having caricature. I guess I'm weird.

Any suggestions?

9. reeftone May 2, 2014

Also I have been browsing a couple of geneves. From what Ive read the quality isn't as superior as the seamsters, constellations, etc.
    Can anyone weigh in?

10. Northernman Lemaniac May 2, 2014

11. citizenrich Metal Mixer! May 2, 2014

12. Northernman Lemaniac May 2, 2014

It came out of my own collection some time ago. I know it very well, and it is a very decent piece. Recommended!

citizenrich likes this.
  13. Northernman Lemaniac May 2, 2014

I agree fully except on the account of Tissot == Omega. They were both companies within the same group (SSHI, now Swatch Group), but Tissot normally used their own movements (and so did Omega). The exception is complicated movements like chronographs and moonphase/full calendar watches. Both Tissot and Omega used movements from the third company in the group; Lemania.
    I would add to your list Lemania non-chronograph watches. They are fully in line with the quality of the two others, and grossly under appreciated. Thats where I think you can make a bargain these days (I am!).
    ;)

citizenrich likes this.
  14. citizenrich Metal Mixer! May 2, 2014

haha the way you guys pass things around i figure this board is one bad STD away from extinction.

good thing there are no girls or we'd be dead already...

*edit - yes, I stand corrected. My Tissot = Omega impression comes from the complicated watches.

*one more edit - some of you guys missed your calling. you would have been great baseball and hockey GM's the way you set-up creative 3 way trades and consideration deals tehehehe

always avoiding the salary cap!!

Northernman likes this.
  15. reeftone May 3, 2014

Last question on this topic I promise. Talked this guy down on a vintage geneve to $400 plus $15 shipping.

Is 400 fair or would I be over paying for this piece

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

16. omegastar May 3, 2014

Watch collecting is being like a spider, wait until the fly is stuck in your web and then attack. What I mean is that if you decide to buy a watch just because you decided you are going to do wrong. Like buy this terminal phase watch that is going to cost 400 $ more in repair and service.
    From now on check Omegas on this site and on ebay and in shops, and like a spider at one point you will just know this is it. Always remember that you will have to service it for an additional cost, so be sure that all parts (crown, glass, case, mvt, ...) are in good condition, so in a couple of months or years you will be able to sell that watch for another one. Watch collecting is not a religion it is science. So study and stay away from miracles.
    regards and good luck, you will need some.

Northernman likes this.