Forums Latest Members
  1. marcuscarcus Mar 27, 2017

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Alright. I have been on the hunt for a speedmaster forever

I'm in Hong Kong and walked into a shop and see this lovey little guy (or gal). 145.022 pre moon back. It's cal 861.

Everything seems to be in order but I'm nervous to pull the trigger.

Do you notice anything that I haven't. He doesn't know if the hands are original to the watch but they look really nice. Here is the site With some pics

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Edited Mar 27, 2017
    Etp095 likes this.
  2. Davidt Mar 27, 2017

It looks largely correct for a later -69. Probably around 31mil serial with that bezel. Case look reasonably unpolished and the dial is correct but the lume isn't amazing. Not terrible, but not amazing. The hour/minute hands look like they might have had some work as the lume looks odd but that's not a deal breaker.

You need to see the movement though to confirm condition, ref and serial before handing over big bucks. How much are they asking?

marcuscarcus likes this.
  3. marcuscarcus Mar 27, 2017

He is asking ~5,000usd. I'm in Hong Kong on vacation but this is a brick and mortar vintage watch shop.

4. Davidt Mar 27, 2017

So it's not a great deal anyway. Probably about the going rate for a b and m store but you should be able to get better quality for that price with some time and effort.

If you're still considering, make sure they open the case for you to check ref etc.

marcuscarcus likes this.
  5. marcuscarcus Mar 27, 2017

That is the cheapest I have seen for a brick and mortar 69 145.022. Like a good 1000 cheaper. Which made me think it was a good deal. Are you saying that I could get it cheaper from a private seller or from other brick and mortar stores.

What about the lume makes you apprehensive.

Also, I really appreciate the advice. It's a little nerve wracking buying watches sometimes but i really am thankful for the help

6. RJwatches Mar 27, 2017

I think it looks reasonably good, case is ofcourse scratched but it isn't heavily polished.

I quite like the dial, but for 5000$ I think you can do better with patience, if you can negotiate it to a lower price it might be a good deal.

marcuscarcus likes this.
  7. Davidt Mar 27, 2017

The dials ok but look at the lume. It's not a consistent, pleasing colour. It's patchy and dirty in places. Not terrible at all, but like I said, not great.

They do sell at less than this, or you could pay similar money for a better example, but I'm talking more private/internet sales rather than bricks and mortar.

8. flame Speedmaster Neil Mar 27, 2017

Hi

I don't know....145.022 prices are subject to some variation at the moment - however as a straight comparison , you probably should have bought this one:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/vin...hronograph-145-022-69-stepped-dial-861.55161/

I also just saw this one finish on ebay for strong money - DON premium ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Spe...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I guess based on previous experience , $5k USD will be very reasonable at some point in the not too distant future....

Best - Neil

marcuscarcus likes this.
  9. marcuscarcus Mar 27, 2017

Here is a pic of the movement
    [​IMG]
    I can get it for 4630 if I pay in cash. I really think I'm going to go for it so please stop me if there is something wrong with the movement.

10. ICONO Mar 27, 2017

Whats the serial number ?

flame likes this.
  11. marcuscarcus Mar 27, 2017

I didn't write it down as I thought the picture would show it (ooops).

The site has it marked as 309xxxxx

12. ICONO Mar 27, 2017

Number sounds right period

I will defer comment on the movement to the opinion of true experts

However if all checks out ? ......As Neil says......The prices of these are increasing exponentially

You may well make a profit, before you get home !

Etp095 likes this.
  13. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Mar 27, 2017

Not quite sure how to say this and remain politically correct, but this is HK and there is no harm in pushing hard for discounts, especially if you actually buy. Sellers can be frustrated by people who haggle and don't buy, but to try to continue negotiating after their final price is acceptable, even if they don't go any lower.

Etp095, marcuscarcus and Spacefruit like this.
  14. marcuscarcus Mar 27, 2017

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have to pay in cash if I want a deep discount but I think I'm going to pay credit as it's just safer ( and I get points)

15. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 27, 2017

For movement number 309xxxx, watch looks all correct.
    With all that is going on in the vintage Omega world, correct price value is very hard to nail down.
    If you like the watch,,,,,buy it.
    Greater likelihood, IMHO, of the watch rising to $7500 than sinking to $4000.
    Good luck

Etp095 and onthedial like this.
  16. noiseboyuk Mar 27, 2017

Looks like a reasonable deal - not great but definitely in the 'ball park'.
    No question that it would cost substantially more in a year or two.

Etp095 likes this.
  17. onthedial Mar 27, 2017

@marcuscarcus
    Based on the pics and SN, the watch (head-only) is a buy at $5000.

marcuscarcus likes this.
  18. WatchWarlock Mar 27, 2017

Not a bad example at all. Anything regarding its service/ownership history? What is the running condition?

19. marcuscarcus Mar 27, 2017

No. They tested it for accuracy and it's keeping time well

It comes with a two year warranty which doesn't mean a lot to me since I live in New York and they are based in hong kong

20. marcuscarcus Mar 27, 2017

Thanks