Forums Latest Members
  1. Jack Alexander Apr 6, 2015

Hello fellow watch enthusiasts!

I'm about to purchase this watch online, it seems legit however the buyer is a bit sparse on the details when I ask questions about it...e.g when was it last serviced?

I haven't asked to see photos of the movement, should I?

here is what I have so far.

IMG_DE_2181167 (1).jpeg IMG_DE_2181167 (1).jpg IMG_DE_2181167 (1).png
  2. peatnick Apr 6, 2015

Hi Jack and welcome, lovely '57 you are eyeing there, and hopefully its from a trusted seller with references

Two things besides a movement photo you might ask for if you have any misgivings about the seller's veracity

Have him send you a picture of the watch set to a specific time like noon, say you want to make sure the hands align proper

Then ask him to write his name and today's date on a slip of paper beside the watch in the photo and send to you

If you are buying thru ebay or paypal they also offer some protection

Hopefully this chap has a limited understanding of mechanical watches and just doesn't understand what you mean by "movement shot" or "service"

It could also be that language translation complicates the communication . . .

Cheers

Peter

KIMBER likes this.
  3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 6, 2015

For modern watch like this I would not insist on opening the case back since majority of watch owner could not open caseback and finding watchmaker is cumbersome for them. Ask more pictures that will ensure authenticity (caseback picture and laser etched serial number in lug picture), ownership (e.g picture at certain time next to today's date paper) and condition (any visible scratches). Share those pictures here to have better assesment (I would say it is original in average condition but better pictures will tell better assessment)

Assume that the watch has not been serviced (again majority owner will not bother to service if the watch aint broken) so put it in your price negotiation.

It is a nice target :thumbsup:. Good luck with your hunt.

repoman likes this.
  4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 6, 2015

+1. Never send by wire or bank transfer if you don't know the seller reputation. Paypal + Credit Card offers decent protection.

lenny and Taddyangle like this.
  5. Nactex Apr 6, 2015

Plus if it has not been opened, the red dot should still be in place on the edge of the case back.

6. Jack Alexander Apr 6, 2015

Thanks so much for the quick replies.

The seller doesn't have a reputation that I can search for, however he has given me a photo of his drivers license. He is asking for a bank wire transfer. The names on his bank and license match up fine....

Am I somewhat protected now that I have this information?

7. Jack Alexander Apr 6, 2015

Hey Peter

Thank you for the reply

Should I still request many more photos of proof of authenticity even though I have his driver's license?

Regards,

Jack

8. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 6, 2015

Remember one of the "Golden Rules": "Buy the seller, not the watch"!

9. peatnick Apr 6, 2015

If I were the seller and you asked for a photo of the hands at noon and a slip with my name and today's date on it I wouldn't hesitate

If I were buying and seller offered a copy of his drivers license I'm not sure what I'd do with the information if the deal went pear shaped ?

10. repoman Apr 6, 2015

When we say "protection", what most of us mean by that is you (the buyer) can initiate action, independent of the seller, to get your money back if the deal goes wrong. If you bank wire money to someone that emailed you an image of a drivers license, I would say that offers you no protection whatsoever, so it comes down to trust in the seller here. Recently, I had a deal worked out on a watch I wanted very badly, at an amazing price, but in the end, I just didn't have the protection I needed, nor the trust in the seller, so I passed on it. Caveat emptor.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  11. Jack Alexander Apr 6, 2015

I completely understand your dilemma, and I sort of feel in a similar position.

I asked for a photo with his face in the shot holding/wearing the watch and this is what I got in response...

image.jpg
  12. Jack Alexander Apr 6, 2015

Oh yeh the sleep tight remark was regarding me saying I would sleep so much better if I had a photo of him with the watch + face.

13. lenny Apr 6, 2015

How about using an escrow service? Or if you really want it, offer to pay the fees on the PayPal transaction.

You will be pretty helpless if this deal goes bad (via bank transfer).

Edit - That sleep tight comment is a bit much. After all, you're the one who is blindly sending a large chunk of money to him...

14. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Apr 6, 2015

Agreed. Best case scenario is that you have grounds to mount a civil legal case to recoup funds, but that would probably only be viable if you lived in the same country. Even then, all kinds of variables that would make it a real nightmare. Like it's been said, you better be very comfortable with the seller.

15. Jack Alexander Apr 6, 2015

I will be moving to the country of the seller in about 6 months, but that's too long.

I have asked him to send me a picture of him holding a paper with my name written on it... A reasonable request so that I know he is the gent on the driver's license he provided. This would give me some ease that the driver's license is kosher.

16. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 6, 2015

This is sketchy as F! He had the watch out for photos but then put it away... Knowing it would soon be sold and he would need to ship it? And the driver license thing doesn't mean shit, can easily be fake or someone else. How can you prove he's the one selling it in the first place. I would walk away from this sale in a sec.

17. ac106 Apr 6, 2015

For me, and let me preface this by saying i work in corrections so I am suspicious of my mother:

1) it sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into trusting this guy which is a red flag

2) him stating "you have my word" + "sleep tight" is setting of alarm bells in my head (loud ones)

Nobel Prize likes this.
  18. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 6, 2015

Sounds kind of fishy...

19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 6, 2015

No..... You still exposed to a very big risk.

20. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 6, 2015

+ 1. I would not enter into this transaction if (1) he can not show more pictures of this watch in his possession and (2) you do not have protection in transaction (driver license is not protection), especially if he can not show any references from any forum/ people deal with him in the past.

Trust George (Kringkily) he did hundreds (if not thousands) of watch transactions..........

Nobel Prize likes this.