Forums Latest Members
  1. quimbcn Apr 2, 2017

Hello. May I have yours comments on this zenith a386?? Dial, hands..
    Thanks a lot

Screenshot_20170402-130249.png Screenshot_20170402-130320.png Screenshot_20170402-131653.png
  2. marturx Apr 2, 2017

That are really poor shots. How do you think that anyone would have a fair chance to comment upon them?

quimbcn likes this.
  3. Bienne2998 Apr 2, 2017

Why Mark II? Could it be a Mark I?
    - I do not see a groove
    - HA Dial
    - thin hands (well, only on left and right subdial

4. quimbcn Apr 3, 2017

Sorry I tried to poste the best pics I have.

Andy K likes this.
  5. Mlafra Apr 3, 2017

from these pics it looks like a MKI. To be sure we would need serial number and pics of the inside and out of the case back.
    Hands wise: the chrono hour hand (sub-dial at 6 o'clock) looks incorrect. The main hour and minute hands look correct but not in great shape. Central red chrono hand also possibly correct but in that case it is in pretty bad shape, perhaps not even correct, again difficult to say from these pics.
    Crown impossible to say as you don't see it.

quimbcn and plexyforever like this.
  6. jfwoodman Apr 4, 2017

I agree that it looks like a MKI, especially the chrono hands. Condition looks a bit messy, especially case and that red chrono hand.

quimbcn and papaebetu like this.
  7. quimbcn May 28, 2017

Hello again. Sorry again for the bad pics. The watch is not mine. Im in contact with the owner in order to see if I may buy it. Yesterday I was able to get 2 more pics. As I see by the serial number of the caseback is a mk1.

8. quimbcn May 28, 2017

Pics IMG-20170528-WA0005.jpg IMG-20170528-WA0006.jpg

9. Mlafra May 28, 2017

yep, MKI, with the plexy in pretty bad shape. If all those scratches are only on the plexy not the end of world at all, new plexy and you are in business. Everything else looks fine a part form a few scratches here and there on the case, that however seems to be unpolished, which is a good thing. And also a part from the thick hand in the hour crono subdial (should be thin as the other 2 sundials hands) and maybe the central red chrono hand that doesnt convince me 100%.
    Still if the price is there it could be a nice pick up and it would look great after a trip to the spa...

quimbcn likes this.
  10. quimbcn May 28, 2017

Thanks for the answer. Honestly im more into rolex vintage.
    So about the a386 can you help me about telling if dial and hands are original or serviced?

11. Mlafra May 28, 2017

From what one can judge from the pictures I would say this is an all-original MKI, a part from hour subdial hand (it should be as thin as the other 2 subdial hands) and the central red chrono second hand (I am sure it is not original now, the tail should be longer).
    Dial looks absolutaly legit as hour and minute hands (hour hand not in great shape though). Moreover these are the correct hour and minute hands for a MKI, as these are different to later iteration: the difference is in the white spacing between the black tip and the lumed part of the hands. In MKI hour and minute hands the whie spacing is thinner than in later iterations.
    Also the dial looks legit for a MKI, as one can deduce from the "El Primero" text width: it does not touch the grey and blue subdials as instead it would in later iterations. Lune looks original, at least from the pics.
    Tachy insert also looks good.
    Lexy in very bad shape and will eed replacing, but I wouldnt waste sleep on this, it is OK to replace plexy IMHO. It will also make that dial look 1000% better.
    Another thing to check on these is the crown, as if not original to source an original correct one won't be easy at all...

valjoux72 and Maybe like this.
  12. valjoux72 May 29, 2017

Hi Mlafra,

what do you think about the A386 coming to auction at Christies NY on June 21th (not my watch). Is everthing legit from your expert point of view?

13. papaebetu May 29, 2017

Nice one, not see crown, case back and caliber; min hand miss a bit of tritium.
    I mean that can be sold up20k+fees

GIGI

14. Mlafra May 30, 2017

Havent looked it up yet. Will revert here once I do.

15. billving May 31, 2017

Def some interesting things at that auction. No condition report yet on the zenith, but a lot of "celebrity" watches. Let's see if they add value. (Value?????- ok add to price).