Forums Latest Members

A386 increasing prices: yours thoughts?

1. eparisini Nov 13, 2013

In 2006, when I was the first time mine A386, its Worth was about € 2.500, and so was till 1 or 2 years ago. During the last year prices increased till double and more and more...

I can see most of interesting watches, quality watches, with case and dial in good shape, is increasing nowadays, and I'm not thinking about last Christie's Auctions... I'm talking about professional sellers and private sales...

I'd like to know yours thought, and if it is suitable to invest in watches nowadays .

:D:D:D

2. andy_s Nov 13, 2013

Always risky business, especially with fast-growing bubbles, but when you look at the competition at that price point, the A386 holds its own I would say; still cheaper than a new Zenith/Cosmograph and to my old eyes, far better executed...

3. haga888 Nov 13, 2013

I think with all investments, entry price dictates return. If you pay top dollar for anything today, well, you can probably expect to have to wait a little longer for a good return on your investment and you're more at risk that you bought at the top of a bubble. Unless of course you know something about the investment that no one else does.

With the A386, since I have one, I guess I'm happy that the prices are going up. But when you get past the USD$10,000 range, there are lots of interesting options.

But specifically with my watches, I don't consider them to be part of my "retirement" portfolio. If the value of them keeps up with inflation, I'd be more than happy. Even then, my intention is to give them to my children, irrespective of what they are worth.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  4. Habitant Nov 13, 2013

There are articles on the Omega Constellation Collector's site (http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.co.uk/) which discuss the relative merits of watches as investments.

It seems to me that the more high end the watches, the more they hold their value and returns can be made (look at Patek prices and auction results!). But risky as a strategy, the market is fickle. I remember when people used to talk about Cartier watches in hushed tones and they now seem to have settled into a range of watches (rather than leading the price in the category).

Hard to make money off of pleasurable things, easier to make money off unpleasant activities - photographers make less money than arms dealers. ;)

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 13, 2013

I'd go to $5,000 for a totally unmolestesd A386 with original dial and hands. Anything more than that and you will wait years to realise your investment.

6. eparisini Nov 14, 2013

Nowadays I think for $ 5.000 you will wait for years to get one A386... even polished and without original dial and hands... IMHO

7. eparisini Nov 14, 2013

I'm wrong here there is one in yours range price Zenith a386.jpg ... would you buy it???

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 14, 2013

What a sad El Primero :(

9. eparisini Nov 14, 2013

It's my thought, but it is in the range price $ 5.000 ::puke:: ::puke:: ::puke::

10. Veritas99 Nov 14, 2013

You just have to be patient, knowledgeable, and a little lucky. I got mine a couple of months ago for $4900 after missing several over the last few years. Other than a cyclops on the crystal, it's all original and in good condition with just a light polish on the case (see photo below). I bought it less than 2 hours into the eBay auction.

Someone else on this forum picked one up last month for even less, again right after the auction started.

Not saying prices aren't going up, but there are still some original A386s in decent condition out there for around $5,000.

[​IMG]

eparisini and MMMD like this.
  11. eparisini Nov 14, 2013

Nice One! Congrats for yours lucky catch!

I think A386 fans are increasing in number day by day... will be more difficult day by day to find one "cheap", who owns one in good shape will keep it, till a foul offer at least.

12. haga888 Nov 14, 2013

With the prices of vintage watches these days, I think if someone is looking for historically significant watches under $5k, it is hard to beat one of the early El Primero's (A384, A385, or A386). Naturally, with other in demand vintage watches hovering above that $5k range, the demand for the Zenith's seems to be inching higher and higher and I don't think it's going to be too long before all of the references are closer to $5k than $3k. I think it's fair to say the A386 is already there.

Now I have to find a nice A384 before it is too late.

eparisini likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Nov 14, 2013

I've noticed a lot of watches climbing in price. Some of us joke that we're still going by 2011 pricing and it's very outdated. Not only are the premium and blue chip models going up, so are some mid and entry level pieces. 2 or 3 years ago you could buy a mint Seamaster DeVille for $450, now they're selling for $650 - $700.

However, when compared against inflation I don't think the rise in price is as much as we believe.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  14. haga888 Nov 14, 2013

Yup. A couple of years ago you could buy just about any Seiko 6139 or 6138 for $200. Now any decent one is getting over $300 and more than half of them are re-dials with aftermarket bracelets.

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 15, 2013

I do notice that my early buy watch last year worth at least 20% up today in USD term. Taking into consideration of IDR weakening since last 3 months, now that means 30-40% in local currency. Of course that's if I could sell in US/Europe market. Local market price is still increasing at slower rate, but finding good example is difficult.

edit: At least now I have solid case for buying more watch if my wife questioning :D

16. ulackfocus Nov 15, 2013

:thumbsup:

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 15, 2013

18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 16, 2013

Fully agree. IN addition, Well-recognized models in great condition will always earn far more than the average price too. In the context of chronograph models, the A 386 has been a relative bargain. The $10000 price tag is indeed extraordinary for Fall 2013, but the true value sits not far below that, again assuming good condition. Models in need of TLC will of course always be found for less.

As for the USD5000 eparisini mentions above, let's not make the mistake of assuming watches are worth what the seller asks for them. Was that watch sold for that price?

19. eparisini Nov 18, 2013

Ciao Lou,
    I really don't know if he sold it, but I wasn't saying the worth is what seller asks, I was saying that nowadays worth of a good A386 is increasing very fast... faster as 150th of Zenith in 2015 is coming...