A384 Revival - or - Speedy Pro 3861

These two watches are on my radar lately. I'm a serial flipper always assuming this will be my final purchase. My recent NTTD that's two months old is about to go on the market when I have time to take some photos.

Photos are not mine.

Sapphire Speedy 3861

When the 3861 came out I grabbed one and I've since sold it. I own a vintage speedy but this new 3861 might be the best watch on the market and easily the best chrono on the marked. The Sapphire is a little thinner over the hesalite and has an applied logo.

I've never owned a sapphire Speedy so it might be time for me to go for it. I feel like the sapphire will have a more premium feel over the hesalite.

Zenith A384 Revival

This is a perfect recreation of a vintage watch. A slim 37mm that I read hugs the wrist tightly. Really love those exposed pushers and I have never owned a Zenith.

The Speedy is a strap monster not to mention the after market bracelets. I have a few different Speedy straps and bracelets already.

The Zenith is truly unique but it could be something that I end up wanting to sell in a month. It's a really unique watch. I'm a little torn, the speedy is truly an icon and I know what the quality is like on the 3861.

What do you guys think?

When I purchased the NTTD I picked out what I thought was the best Omega under 10k. Really the NTTD is an amazing watch but I miss not having a chrono and I prefer it to a diver for right now. Like I said I definitely can see myself becoming tired of how unique the A384, I can also wear it on a leather strap but not much else.

I do regret selling my 3861 hesalite. I can't rebuy a watch that I owned and the sapphire would be a fun watch to wear and own. After tonight I'm learning on buying the Zenith but I'm not sure. Either watch is perfect for someone who wants a vintage watch without the hassle of vintage watches especially the A384.
At least I made this post after ruling out the Breitling Chronomat b01 42.

Edit: Bought a Speedy Pro Sapphire
Edited:

Wondering why the NTTD is going so soon?

Of the two watches you are considering, the Speedmaster with no doubt. If your were considering other El Primeros, I’d hesitate. But that one does nothing for me and I bet it would be another flip pretty quick.

Wondering why the NTTD is going so soon?

Of the two watches you are considering, the Speedmaster with no doubt. If your were considering other El Primeros, I’d hesitate. But that one does nothing for me and I bet it would be another flip pretty quick.

Not sure, I think it's the light weight of the NTTD that really turns me off.
I'm now taking a look at the brown dial version and this model came up in my searches but it's a little pricy for me.
dsc07938-jpg.16517093

Some inputs,

1. I know this "flipper desease" - to a certain degree I have it myself. Try to give your watches some time - they go through phases and somewhere down the line you will appreciate them on another level

2. I have owned both the "plastic" and the saphire version of the 3861. I never liked the saphire version. Glass to "boxy" with the square edges, just didn't look right. I also felt that i it looked smaller somehow. So, I'm back with the traditional version and couldn't be happier.

3 If you choose the Zenith - make sure that it is a watch that you would like to keep long term. A much more narrow brand and much more difficult to pass on, though fine watches.

My two cents.

The Speedy has gravitas that you won't find in many other watches. If I had to choose only one watch, that is it. It's the watch I wear to significant life events. It's my "watch" watch, like the old days when people had one watch they wore every day.

The El Primero is no light weight. But it's not likely to keep your eyes from wandering.

You'll still look at other watches with the Speedy. But you won't trade it for anything.

IMHO.

Those Zeniths are great, but I just can't with the date window. Usually not a deal breaker for me, but for some reason I can't get past it on the el Primero

I have been there, you will buy an El Primero too in a year 😀. Wear your new speedy in good health.

Everyone should have an El Primero in their collection. Just because it is such an iconic chronograph movement.

Everyone should have an El Primero in their collection. Just because it is such an iconic chronograph movement.
Or 2😁: