Forums Latest Members

A277 vs Movado Super SubSea

1. S.Song Dec 20, 2016

These are some of the coolest watches out there. But in terms of value quite inconsistent as to which is valued higher. I know pretty much the same watch, but branding is branding ;)

Can anyone help to contribute information as to which is preferred? I personally prefer the Zenith, but it seems the Movado is hitting high prices with places like Analog Shift.

2. m neuman What, me worry? Dec 22, 2016

Zenith holds first place.

3. S.Song Dec 27, 2016

Yeah, I'm with you on that one-

But with A/S offering one for 8000 USD and another dealer offering one to me for 9000 euros, interesting to see how the Zenith goes next year when people start finding out ;)

4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 27, 2016

All depends, as some prefer the earlier iteration Movado with quite different hands. The differences are subtle.

In the end, it is not like one is worth 2x over the other...they are all on a case by case basis. Some Zeniths will be nicer and some Movados will be nicer.

In the end, collectors will go with whichever one speaks to them.

For me the SSS spoke to me much more than the a277.

5. Tbone Dec 31, 2016

I'll ad my two pennies. After reviewing, reading, speaking with owners and looking (obsessively?) at hundreds of pictures of the two models over the last several weeks, I have to say I love the early SSS M95 powered watches the most (below). It has the beautiful main hour and min hands, the unique "squiggly or kris" sub-dial hands and the much larger, more centralized registers. The next in line would be a late A277 with the beautiful hour and min hands, lovely chrono paddle hand and the large registers with the gold hands. I find the larger registers key to the attractiveness when looking at these. The last would be the late H146 powered SSS, with the smaller registers, which take quite a bit away from the "look" IMHO. This is all of course, just my opinion and considering I don't have a fraction of the experience of others on this forum, should be taken as wholly and entirely subjective! Thanks to all the experts for the past discussions, post, pictures and comments. They have been incredibly helpful in researching these beautiful machines. Stay tuned, as I've just finished negotiating a purchase for an A277 in Europe. Once concluded, I'll post pictures.. It's taken a lot of back and forth so I don't want to jinx it! 17092-7b869e574ef04d364b069b440dd7ad77.jpg 7944-z1.jpg IMG_1488_zps566593f3.jpg

Edited Dec 31, 2016
    J-Luc, erpin9, Baz9614 and 2 others like this.
  6. Cortezthekiller Dec 31, 2016

This last one!!!!^^^^^^^^^^

7. bjmcfp Jan 2, 2017

SSS!!!!

8. jfwoodman Jan 9, 2017

I've watched these casually over the years, and for equivalent condition, I'm pretty sure the Zenith versions tend to receive the higher value. Can't go wrong with either, however, if you like the watch in question.

9. Tbone Jan 20, 2017

So it finally arrived....and it's beautiful. The back story to this is I'd already agreed to another A277 when this watch came into the picture. It was entirely correct and stunning with long term ownership. It was WAY more expensive than the one I'd already agreed to purchase AND that was already at Abel C's getting the spa treatment. That watch didn't have a band but was a beautiful specimen...even before Abels treatment. What was I to do? Back out of the one at Abels? I did what any self-respecting, obsessed watch nut would do...

Zenith on wrist.jpg

10. Bienne2998 Feb 17, 2017

I thought I add 3 watches for direct comparison. We had these watches on the table @ our Swiss Gtg last saturday (thanx Adri, it was a pleasure meeting you)
    On the left a Zenith A277 with straight chrono hand, blue sub hands and bezel with small minute indices
    then the beautiful movado (I adore these hands) and on the right the A277 with paddle chrono hand, golden sub hands and bezel with the longer minute indices

Top.jpg

J-Luc, plexyforever, Oku and 6 others like this.
  11. Tbone Feb 17, 2017

Great picture @Bienne2998. The one thing I'd add, which to my eyes, make the A277 stand out is the large sub-dials as compared to the smaller on the Movado. Regardless, they are all wonderful!

12. speedy57 Feb 27, 2017

Fantastic watches! Thanks for sharing!

13. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Feb 28, 2017

Top:thumbsup:

I didn't noticed that you made a picture of these three (I was too busy to check all speedys;)).

The pleasure was also on my side to meet you.

What i can say to these chronos, you can't make a mistake if you take one of these (super sub sea or A277) to your collection.

14. Oku Feb 28, 2017

you have beautiful watches!
    What would be an honest price for the Zenith or the Movado currently? Unfortunately, there is not too much choice by now... :(

15. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 28, 2017

Well...the last SSS went for $8500 I believe.

Pinching myself for getting mine for $4.5k this time last year!

16. Oku Mar 1, 2017

wow, that is a jump... congrats for the purchase!

17. Oku Mar 19, 2017

I have a question concerning the center seconds hand. Is there any rule which kind of hand is correct? I have seen some with lume and some without. Those with lume have a square, round or unregular diamonds (like the Cairelli) shape. What is correct for a Movado?
    Thanks heaps!

18. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 19, 2017

They vary from what I have seen .

19. Oku Mar 19, 2017

Thanks. That means if I see a Movado like in the photo above having a hand without lume than the hand is not a replacement?

20. erpin9 Mar 19, 2017

Beautiful watches. I have been on the look out for 6 months but still can't find one that I like.