Forums Latest Members

A Western Massachusetts Get-Together

1. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Mar 19, 2017

Earlier this week I got a message from member kreindog24 saying that he too lived in western Massachusetts and would I be interested in a get-togther? WOULD I? The answer was an immediate yes. It turns out we live maybe 5 miles from each other. We met at a local Italian pastry shop for coffee this morning.

IMG_4052.JPG

Kreindog24 and I abstained from the baked goods though and just had coffee (which TBH I was a little disappointed by, but that so didn't matter.)

The view at the table was much, much better: IMG_4054.JPG

So we proceeded to have the most enjoyable two-hour gabfest about watches that I've ever had - the ONLY talk about watches I've ever had! We took turns talking about watches in our collections. I really enjoyed seeing his dress- and military-style watches and NATO straps, as well as seeing the watches he's bought from fellow forum members. Pictures can only convey so much and they all look better in person.

First up was his Tudor Black Bay which was so much lighter than I thought it would be.
    IMG_4053.JPG

Then a lovely Seamaster 30 that was lighter than a puff of air.
    IMG_4055.JPG

A super super nice Longines, the first I've ever seen IRL:
    IMG_4056.JPG

I forget what this one was, a Hamilton maybe? Loved it too.
    IMG_4060.JPG

A really great miliary-style Waltham:
    IMG_4058.JPG

A super-fun Bulova that ticked my chunky funky boxes:
    IMG_4059.JPG

A Vulcain that was super sharp and just so pretty. Thanks Jwit!
    IMG_4061.JPG

An Omega Dynamic that was super legible and lighter than expected, and the most modern one I've seen. IMG_4062.JPG

The two hours just flew by and we had only the briefest chance to talk about other stuff. We'll get together again soon, but at a place with better coffee! If there's anyone else in the area who wants to come, send me a PM.

Giff2577, Spy, ConElPueblo and 5 others like this.
  2. Kreindog24 Mar 19, 2017

As the other Founding Father of the 1 Day Old Western Massachusetts GTG, I can't express enough just how rewarding it was to actually go to a real live GTG. I sincerely never thought it would happen. While we have many beautiful things to recommend our little rural slice of heaven in Western MA, we are decidedly not having London or New York level GTGs (or any GTGs for that matter....until now!) It was so nice to talk to someone about watches for two hours and tell the stories that make them our own. Seeing a 1908 A. Lange and Sohne pocketwatch that belonged to his grandfather was absolutely breathtaking. I think that was the only one I didn't get a photo of because I was so enthralled to see something that remarkable in person. We had some purchases from OF members there so Jwit, Guilty Boomerang, Padders and Hrobi were represented! Wish you all could have been there in person. Looking forward to @ahartfie (Adam) and my next meet-up in 2 weeks. Any OF member is welcome!

Here's some of my pics. We were like two kids in a candy shop....actually an Italian coffeehouse. Next time we'll take better photos...and eat some Italian pastry, I promise Adam! Cheers! - Chris

3. Kreindog24 Mar 19, 2017

Adam will have to post a shot of the 1908 A. Lange & Sohne pocket watch. An absolutely breathtaking beauty with a cool metal and leather stand. No photo because I had just arrived and was immediately entranced.

Here are some great examples of Adam's Constellation collection. I had never worn one before.

IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

His Zenith Defy was a real surprise. The dial has a beautiful gradient that changed as I moved it in and out of the light. Really warm color and nice feel. I can see why this experience is so valuable to get a hands-on feel for a watch. This is something that wouldn't translate on an eBay pic but I was enamored with in person. Gorgeous watch.

IMG_1389.JPG

ahartfie, Giff2577, Spy and 3 others like this.
  4. sxl2004 Mar 19, 2017

Wow. Terrific!
    How far from Boston are you?

Spy, ahartfie and Kreindog24 like this.
  5. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Mar 19, 2017

Speedbird, Darlinboy, Incabloc, and Pahawi were also represented as well with my MegaQuartz, Zenith, TV Dial Speedmaster, and the forum's caseback opener.

As requested here's the Lange pocketwatch in its stand.
    IMG_3818.JPG

Giff2577, Spy, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  6. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Mar 19, 2017

Springfield, 90 miles west of Boston and 25 north of Hartford, CT.

Kreindog24 likes this.
  7. sxl2004 Mar 19, 2017

Not too far when the weather is nice
    ;)

Spy, ahartfie and Kreindog24 like this.
  8. Kreindog24 Mar 19, 2017

What I found most surprising and shows how hobbies turn quickly to passionate obsession is that my three favorite watches were the three I didn't get any pictures of! I was so in the moment that I forgot to photograph or document what I was experiencing. And I think that is what speaks to something you truly love. Whether it was his great grandfathers Lange & Sohne pocketwatch or his grandfathers's Glycine, handling something with a story behind it brings so much more depth and meaning to an object. I absolutely loved the Glycine - again perhaps Adam can post a photo. It was right in my wheelhouse and ticked all my vintage boxes. Beautiful watch with a warm golden glow and fit spectacularly on my wrist. The hands were delicate and lithe. An absolute stunner! Lastly, he brought his 1974 TV Speedmaster automatic. It was the first Speedmaster I've ever seen, touched or worn and I was so laser focused I forgot to take a picture on my wrist!!. Which only means we have an excuse (not that we need one) to get together again soon and trade stories, photos and talk watches! A great way to spend a Sunday morning with a new friend. Hope you all get a chance to experience the same sometime soon. Here's to a great day to all!

Jwit and ahartfie like this.
  9. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Mar 19, 2017

I was fascinated that what is my most humdrum watch to me, Grampa's simple little Glycine, just a three-hander with no date that I know nothing about, really caught Chris' attention.

IMG_3803.JPG
    The CFTVDS is in the group table shot.

I also got to show Chris pictures of my grails - the Longines 9025 and the 18K Constellation MegaQuartz 2.4 MHz with the aventurine dial. I pointed out to him the shortcomings of my n00b tax watches and was glad to pass that knowledge on.

Giff2577, Spy, GregH and 2 others like this.
  10. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Mar 19, 2017

Last but not least I showed him the Official Speedmaster Owner's Club placards... and the Unprofessional Owner's Club one I made with NO MOON.

Kreindog24 likes this.
  11. Kreindog24 Mar 19, 2017

I did get a picture of the Glycine actually. If anyone sees one like it in the world for sale, please let me know!! Beauty!!

IMG_1390.JPG

Spy, GregH, noelekal and 2 others like this.
  12. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Mar 19, 2017

Sounds like you guys had a great time! Looking forward to hearing about the next one! :D

adi4, ahartfie and Kreindog24 like this.
  13. Kreindog24 Mar 19, 2017

Only 7 hours from Buffalo, Jwit!! ::psy::

ahartfie likes this.
  14. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Mar 19, 2017

Just a couple exits down I-90! You'd use exit 7.

15. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 19, 2017

Nice to see this enthusiastic thread and photos!

ahartfie likes this.
  16. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Mar 19, 2017

You guys can drive all the way here together! Exit 52!

However I do have family in Boston I'd like to visit soon so maybe I'll plan a trip with some pit stops :D

Kreindog24 and ahartfie like this.