Forums Latest Members
  1. goodie Mar 14, 2016

For obvious reasons I am very keen to purchase a speedmaster. I would prefer to purchase new but unfortunately I have small 6.5 inch wrists and want to get the speedmaster reduced. I intend to wear this watch pretty much every day till I die and then pass it on to my son.
    My main question however is this- has omega ever produced a speedmaster reduced with a waterproof rating of at least 10atm? I ask because I am not precious with watches and want this to be my daily beater. I also do blue collar work and for me waterproofing is non-negotiable. There seems to be very few sub-40mm waterproof chronographs on the market. The Breitling transocean chronograph 38 is my next option but I would prefer the speedmaster.
    Any advice would be appreciated or other chrono suggestions. Thankyou.

2. ConElPueblo Mar 14, 2016

I know that debates about waterproofness is like arguing religion, but... In my humble opinion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a watch rated to 50m i pretty much all sorts of condition, bar diving. This is Omega's own table regarding water resistance:

[​IMG]

Unless your blue collar work is as an industrial diver, I really don't think that any Omega Sports watch would be particularly unsuited.

3. Canuck Mar 14, 2016

Every water resistant watch should be water resistant...................until it leaks! Good luck!

VicLeChic and ConElPueblo like this.
  4. ConElPueblo Mar 14, 2016

True! And it seems that I forgot to mention the most important criteria - getting regular maintenance at a decent watchmaker.

5. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 14, 2016

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 14, 2016

Must be a British chart as it recommends pressure testing once a year before bathing. :p

Nitzbar, JimInOz, VicLeChic and 3 others like this.
  7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 14, 2016

Do you mean you bathe on other days other than your Birthday ?

Nitzbar and JimInOz like this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 14, 2016

No, stick with birthday. Easier that way to count for the tenth year dental check-up :thumbsup:

Nitzbar likes this.
  9. CTS-V Mar 14, 2016

10. CTS-V Mar 14, 2016

Whoa? Brits bathe? Hmmmm.....::stirthepot::

11. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 14, 2016

Someone is going to chime in soon and tell us Brits that we need to change our skidders at least once a month.

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 14, 2016

As a Brit, I did once here of a Den-Tist.

A profession stuck between the private sector and the state. To be avoided until you have suppurating gums. Then you go and hope your credit card has some room left.
    Speedmaster
    We Brits have an expectation that the state takes care of all our health needs. As the state will not pay for dentistry, or tries hard not to, then surely its not a need? That's the message we get.
    Speedmaster
    Drugs only get issued when there is a pressing need, and a proven benefit. Thus in UK there is no tamiflu, antibiotics only when something smells and you hold a gun to the doctor, and since there are no guns, very few antibiotics get issued - ok less than they did. Contrary to the private system when all drugs are pressed hard onto the consumer by TV advertising and peer pressure.
    Speedmaster
    (An interesting change in the last 10 years is the massive uptake of antidepressants - following on from the Prison Systems discovery that opiated inmates are easier to deal with - the state has learned a lesson and started to medicate the population.)
    Speedmaster
    Teeth are not covered on the NHS so brits choose to spend thier money on essentials like food and rent. Since we are all in the same boat, Its ok. Just that nowadays the footballers wives and d list celebs are all getting thier teeth fixed, which some of us, frankly, consider cheating.

? Shurely a bit off topic??::rant:

dennisthemenace likes this.
  13. Mr Bing Mar 14, 2016

Now hang on a minute, this thread is taking an offensive tone and I'm not liking it!

I'd like to dispel this myth that Brits don't bathe on a regular basis. It's unfair and needs nipping in the bud.

I'm a Brit myself and I bathe on the first Sunday of every month. In addition I change my underwear on a weekly basis, well every ten days or so. :whistling:

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 14, 2016

Fixed that for you

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 14, 2016

You must be from Bray.

16. Flingit1200s Mar 14, 2016

After reading the last part of this thread I believe my father has lied to me. For 50 years he has told me that he is of German heritage and he also bathes once a year on his birthday faithfully. It sounds like I may actually be of British decent!

17. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 14, 2016

I restrict myself to bathing only when there is a D in the month. We often suffer from water shortages because of people that bathe whenever there is a P in the month.

18. Perseus Mar 14, 2016

You'll be fine. Just check the seals once a year.

19. dx009 Mar 14, 2016

As long as you don't want to do diving at depths higher than a few meters you should be ok with the average speedmaster... with screw case back of course...

20. WatchVaultNYC Mar 14, 2016

What about a Seamaster Chrono? Surely hardier and more water resistant than a Speedy Reduced?