Forums Latest Members
  1. maxtor71 Jan 9, 2015

A couple of days I got a call from the Omega boutique I frequent and my man there says he has a Grey Side of the Moon coming in, and that he's going to hold it for me. Normally, I'd dash over the second I hear something cool is coming in but since work had me buried, I told him I'd come in on the weekend. Naturally, the anticipation over the next day and a half built up to the point where I was going to lose my marbles.

Thankfully I survived and finally hit the boutique earlier today to be greeted by this:

IMG_5937.JPG
    And now side by side with my Dark Side of the Moon.

IMG_5925.JPG

Now, brace yourselves. As much as I've been looking forward to this watch and thought I'd immediately buy it, I wasn't completely sold. I don't know if I built it up too much in my head but it didn't have the same effect that the DSOTM had one me when I first saw it. I suppose this is naturally considering it's basically the same watch with a few cosmetic differences. Don't get me wrong, it is lovely but it didn't have enough to hook me immediately.

The couple of quibbles I had - the lighter colour and high polish of the bezel seem to combine and become ultra reflective when light hits it in a certain way. In fact when looking at the bezel in this situation, it's basically illegible. This isn't a gigantic issue because I've never really had a use for the Tachymetre but what really bugged me was the date window. I can't for the life of me figure out why Omega didn't use a disc that was the same colour as the platinum dial. It's a small window but each time I looked down at the watch, my eyes were immediately drawn to that white date window. It's a shame because the texture and look of the platinum dial is something else. Also, considering the strap is a croc finish, on the top anyway, the pin/buckle seemed really out of place - Omega really has to get a ceramic clasp together somehow ;).

Place alongside my Dark Side of the Moon, I have to say, I also didn't feel the Grey Side would be as versatile a watch. I can see it working really well with certain formal wear but its perhaps too much of an 'attention getter' when paired with the casual clothes I normally tool around in.

Bottom line, I left without buying though the guy is holding it for me until I give him a definite answer. It's a bit of a weird one, this.

Trev and jcmartinez98 like this.
  2. KstateSkier Jan 11, 2015

Each piece has their own aura and mystique. I think you should have both!

3. maxtor71 Jan 11, 2015

dlt222 has been saying the same thing to me ;)

Max

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 12, 2015

Put that DSOM beside a Trésor and thats a pair you want.

5. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2015

You see the Trèsor does nothing for me, largely because i never wear a suit or even a shirt for that matter, hence why i like the 'sports' style watches.

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 12, 2015

Hopefully you don't "exhibit" the same behavior with regard to pants. [emoji33]

7. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2015

Lol - nah everyone is safe there :)

8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2015

My first GS has just been listed for sale btw!

9. jcmartinez98 Jan 12, 2015

selling the greyside already???!

10. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2015

Its one of two i have coming and i don't need two.

11. ctime3 Jan 12, 2015

A walk on the black side image.jpg

12. yinzerniner Jan 12, 2015

Nice addition(s), and I personally think the two register layout with the date below works better in the lighter dial than the DSOTM dial. Still, both are stunning pieces.

13. Aquaman Jan 13, 2015

If it really sings to you, then buy it. If not, just enjoy your DSOTM.

watchme likes this.