Forums Latest Members

A Vintage Guy Falls For A Modern Omega . . .

1. gbesq May 24, 2023

I'm a collector of vintage Omega and until recently I only had two modern watches in my collection: a 2021 JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon (my go to heavy hitter dress watch) and a 2017 Omega SMPc. The SMPc was recently replaced with the Seamaster 300 Heritage. After several months of ownership, I have to say that this is one of the best watches that I have ever owned and a testament to the design, engineering and build quality of Omega's latest offerings (you better be looking over your shoulder, Rolex). Omega has done a marvelous job of blending its best technology with homage design language to the vintage 300 in this model. Everything about this watch just works. A 41mm straight lug case that is thinner than the previous generation with a hardened aluminum bezel. The sandwich dial is certainly a major styling departure for Omega, but it is well executed and looks entirely appropriate on this watch when combined with the broad arrow handset and lollipop second hand. The lume (including on the bezel!) is stunning and highly functional. The bracelet? A tapered flat link with microadjustment and no tabs for the end links to scratch up the undersides of the lugs. Instead, there are integrated slots in the case where the end links fit. Brilliant and probably the best OEM bracelet that I've seen from Omega in a very long time. Finally, the movement. A METAS certified caliber 8912 with a time zone feature (which I'll take over a date window every time). Mine is keeping almost perfect time. Everything about the watch just exudes quality and style. It's a winner. Well done, Omega.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited May 24, 2023
    goudaville, jspdl, http410 and 39 others like this.
  2. Aroxx Sets his watch May 24, 2023

That lume… wow. It is a stunner. So is your SMPc. You have exceptional taste sir.

RevZMan123 likes this.
  3. gbesq May 24, 2023

Thanks, Alex. And passing on my 2017 SMPc - still, in my view, the best version of that watch and another milestone for Omega - to another OF member pleases me no end. :)

Horoticus, RevZMan123 and Aroxx like this.
  4. hen May 24, 2023

Great looking watch and a great post! But I think the SMPc also was a great looker.

5. gbesq May 24, 2023

It is indeed. I just couldn’t justify keeping both, but the high gloss ceramic no waves dial on that model is really a stunner. It almost looks like it’s floating in the case. Really a breakthrough model for Omega and likely a future classic.

hen likes this.
  6. Scooterino36 May 24, 2023

I didn't realize you gave up the SMPc!

7. gbesq May 24, 2023

Yep. Purchased by a relatively new member. It’s in good hands. I have seller’s remorse as I do with every watch that I let go from my collection. But one in, one out keeps things manageable.

Scooterino36 likes this.
  8. Om3ga321 May 24, 2023

The 300 Heritage is on my radar.
    Omega's quality has really step up a gear.

cwillis0001 likes this.
  9. RevZMan123 May 24, 2023

You are almost making me like this watch too :D

10. gbesq May 24, 2023

I’m not selling you mine, Erric. :whipped:

11. RevZMan123 May 24, 2023

You'd make a great Omega salesman when you retire from your day job.

But when we spoke last you said you'd find something to sell me, I just ASSumed it was this one. ;)

Dsloan likes this.
  12. Horoticus May 24, 2023

I own the previous generation model and have been tempted on numerous occasions to pick up this beauty, as well. Many thanks for the beautiful pics...and for further temptation. :thumbsup:

13. gbesq May 24, 2023

Well, you know that it's not going to be the 300 or the Ranchero, but that does leave open some other possibilities. :)

14. rkny18 May 24, 2023

I’ve had my eye on the Trilogy Railmaster and Speedmaster for a long time. Love the idea of vintage styling and sapphire durability .

I’m letting go of my 1968 Speedmaster 145.012 to help fund one of them. I just get too nervous about damaging the vintage Speedy and having a watchmaker damage the watch in the course of repairing it, exactly what just happened to me this spring with a 20 year old Bell & Ross which was very dear to me.

Indices likes this.
  15. Indices May 30, 2023

Great choices amongst the Trilogy range but be aware the Speedy is indeed Hesalite. It’s gorgeously domed, but if you’re particularly going for sapphire, the Railmaster and Seamaster is the way to go!