Forums Latest Members

OHPF A very rare and unusual Omega f8192 Beta21 Electroquartz Solid 18k Gold watch

1. wayneG Sep 5, 2016

So first off, I know this is quite an unusual watch, but that's why I purchased it. It's a solid 18k yellow gold Omega from around the very early 1970s. At that time, Omega displayed 5 at Baselworld, and they all sold at the show; this is interesting because, at that time, this watch was around 10 times the price of an Omega Speedmaster, and in today's money, inflation would see this at an equivalent of around £19,000 :)

The watch features the Beta21 movement. It's a movement that a lot of manufacturers including Rolex and Patek Philippe all joined forces to create, as the quartz crisis was starting to take hold. So IMO, it's a very important watch, but yet not that well known or talked about.

I don't know how many of these exist currently, but I do know that you will find a steel model a lot easier, and the gold variants don't often have their original bracelet as they've mostly been melted down. I really would like to avoid even the thought of this, so hopefully, someone here will want to own it.

The watch itself has more gold in it than any other gold watch I've come across...

The case... yep that's gold
    The bracelet... yep that's gold too
    The clasp... yep that's gold
    The crown... yep that's gold as well
    The case-back... yep that's gold
    The dial... yep that's gold also
    The bracelet screws... yep they're gold
    The applied Omega logo on the dial?... yep that's gold... are you getting it yet? :) The hands are also gold I believe but I could be wrong on that one.

So in total, the watch weighs over 200g. I was once in a watch store and the watchmaker was really interested in what I was wearing. He asked if he could have a closer look and weighed it etc. He estimated there to be around 185g of 18k gold content. Looking at Hatton Garden Metals, this equates to just under £4200 in gold alone :)

The quartz movement as I say is the Beta 21. It's electroquartz and when I first purchased this, a few months ago, I sent it to KeithT for a service. STS also service these but I asked Keith to just make sure everything was as it should be, and it came back running well enough to wear regularly after he fully stripped it and serviced it. I've noticed the date stops at 30 each time it reaches it, so you have to wind it on, but I've never gotten round to emailing Keith to see if that's normal or not. I thought I'd mention it but it's never caused me any bother.

The watch comes with two extra links. It'c currently sized without those links to fit my 6.75" wrist perfectly, and there's a huge amount of clasp adjustment as I've pictured as well; therefore with the added links and clasp adjustment, this should fit as most other watches would.

Condition-wise, considering it's a gold watch from around 1970, it's very good IMO. It does have the odd mark here and there as you'd expect, but nothing a bit of a spruce up wouldn't sort. I've kept it original to how I received it on purpose, you may want to do otherwise I guess. The end link has a slight bend to it but I'm really just splitting hairs as it doesn't affect anything, nor do I ever notice it. This watch attracts more comments than any other I've ever owned; I just love it!!

On to the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Price...

The cheapest I can find is around £5500 elsewhere, and there's only one I can see. With the gold content, money I've spent on it etc, I'm asking £4700 which I think is an incredibly fair price for a wearable piece of history:) You could literally scrap this, sell the movement and probably make something on it, but I'm hoping this can be avoided!