Forums Latest Members

A Universal Geneve and a.... Berthoud? Two Old School Chronographs.

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 20, 2014

Deleted

aglinz and Myrsnipern like this.
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 20, 2014

Correct. According to Sala, Louis Berthoud was the third principal in the Universal watch company, becoming Ulysse Perret's partner after the death of NUma Descombes in 1897, and "Perret & Berthoud" became the holder of all Universal patents, and ultimately became Universal Geneve. It's not clear (to me anyway) why Berthoud was used as a brand name in parallel with Universal - different market segments perhaps - like Omega and Tissot?

the watch looks perfectly authentic to me, although I can't say I've studies enough Berthoud dials to be certain that it is original.

now, about that small Universal - is that a cut-out dial, or does it just look like one?

3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 21, 2014

Can you define the term "cut-out" for me? I'm afraid I can't define it.

4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 21, 2014

Assuming it's the same as pocket watch terminology (why wouldn't it be?), a cut-out dial or "double sunk" is a process where (3) separate disks are soldered together for the sub dials. i

the process was reserved for more expensive watches because it was very labor intensive requiring lots of hand work (grounding and polishing).

or, I could be wrong. Hahaha

5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 21, 2014

These may help answer that question:

Myrsnipern likes this.
  6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 22, 2014

Actually, I was using the term - perhaps incorrectly - to refer to a dial with holes in it to show the underdial, aka "sandwich dial" like so

[​IMG]

It's a current enthusiasm of mine...