Forums Latest Members

A trip to the Omega Museum in Bienne, Switzerland

1. omegaaddict Jan 22, 2014

Over the past three months I have worked in Basel, and so naturally I could not resist taking the short train ride to Bienne to visit the HQ of one of my favorite watch brands, Omega.

For those of you that do not know, Omega has a free museum at their HQ where visitors can pop in for a quick look to learn all about Omega's history, and naturally to gawk at the displays of vintage and classic watches in pristine condition.

After being buzzed in and walking up the stairs to the reception area, you are greeted by the friendly staff who hand you an audio guide which helps explain so of the great pieces on display. The tour starts with the history and origins of Omega, and walks you through the early 1900's to the modern day, with emphasis on Omega's innovation in movements, chronographs, involvement in sports and the olympics, and most importantly space and the moon.

Below are some pictures (excuse the bad quality):
    [​IMG]

This one caught my eye right away, antique omega from early 1900's with custom made dial showing map of the middle east with Palestine as the center
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JFK's watch!
    [​IMG]

Lawrence of Arabia's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The apollo 13 mission watch
    [​IMG]

After visiting the museum it felt truly great to know that I was in some way part of this great tradition of watches that have played such a role in modern history. Hope you guys enjoyed the pics!

dwedgar2, persco and epl108 like this.
  2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 22, 2014

Indeed it is difficult to take good picture for watches inside glass cases in room flooded with halogen lights.
    A very inspiring trip I would say. Since you are still there I advise you to visit Patek museum in Geneve and AP museum in Le brassus.
    I regretted for not visiting them when I was in Swiss last summer.

3. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

No parsley, sage, rosemary, or thyme?

4. omegaaddict Jan 22, 2014

This is actually a repost of my original post on WUS which I made in september, I thought I would share it with this forum since it is dedicated to Omega and I am new here. Unfortunately I am no longer in Switzerland, i was there over the summer only. I would have loved to visit the Patek and IWC museums but unfortunately never had the time.

5. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jan 22, 2014

Life In The Slaw Lane - Kip Addotta

It was Cucumber the first; summer was over.
    I had just spinached a long day and I was busheled.
    I'm the kinda guy that works hard for his celery and I don't mind telling you I was feeling a bit wilted.
    But I didn't carrot all. 'Cause, otherwise, things were vine.
    I try never to disparagus and I don't sweat the truffles.
    I'm outstanding in my field and I know something good will turnip eventually.
    A bunch of things were going grape, and soon, I'd be top banana.
    At least, that's my peeling.
    But that's enough corn; lend me your ear and lettuce continue:
    After dressing, I stalked on over to the grain station.
    I got there just in lime to catch the nine-elemon as it plowed toward the core of Appleton,
    a lentil more than a melon-and-a-half Yeast of Cloveland.

CHORUS
    Life in the slaw lane.
    They say plants can't feel no pain.
    Life in the slaw lane.
    I've got news for you:
    They're just as frail as you.

No one got off at Zucchini, so we continued on a rutaBaga.
    Passing my usual stop, I got avoCado.
    I hailed a passing Yellow Cabbage and told the driver to cart me off to Broccolyn.
    I was going to meet my brother across from the eggplant where he had a job at the Saffron station pumpkin gas.
    As soon as I saw his face, I knew he was in a yam.
    He told me his wife had been raisin cane. Her name was Peaches:
    a soiled but radishing beauty with HUGE goards.
    My brother had always been a chestnut, but I could neve figured out why she picked him.
    He was a skinny little string bean who had always suffered from cerebral parsley.
    It was in our roots.
    Sure, we had tried to weed it out, but the problem still romained.
    He was used to having a tough row to how, but it irrigated me to see Artichoke,
    and it bothered my brother to see his marriage going to seed.

CHORUS

Like most mapled couples, they had a lot of grilling to do.
    Sure, they'd sown their wild oats, but just barley if you peas.
    Finally, Peaches had given him an ultomato. She said, "I'm hip to your chive,
    and you don't stop smoking that herb, I'm gonna leaf ya for Basil, ya fruit!"
    He said he didn't realize it had kumquat so far.
    Onion other hand, even though Peaches could be the pits, I knew she'd never call the fuzz.

CHORUS

So I said, "Hay, we're not farm from the Mushroom! Let's walk over."
    He said, "That's a very rice place. That's the same little bar where alfalfa my wife!"
    When we got there, I pulled up a cherry and tried to produce small talk.
    I told him I haven't seen Olive; not since I shelled off for a trip to Macadamia when I told her, "We cantaloupe."
    The time just wasn't ripe.
    She knew what I mint.
    When we left the Mushroom, we were pretty well-juiced.
    I told Arti to say hello to the boysenBerry and that I'd orange to see him another thyme.
    Well, it all came out in the morning peppers:
    Arti caught Peaches that night with Basil, and Arti beat Basil bad,
    leaving him with two beautiful acres.
    Peaches? She was found in the garden; she'd been pruned.

CHORUS

Well, my little story is okra now.
    Maybe it's small potatoes. Me? Idaho.
    My name? Wheat. My friends call me "Kernel".
    And that's life in the slaw lane.
    Thank you so mulch.

CHORUS

It's a garden out there!

6. omegaaddict Jan 22, 2014

What is going on?!

7. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jan 22, 2014

Squirrels gotta eat.

8. omegaaddict Jan 22, 2014

Why am I being trolled? Did I commit some sort of forum faux pas? If so I do apologize and hope that someone would be so kind as to clarify. Otherwise I had hoped to be better welcomed as a newcomer into this community.

9. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

You're not being trolled. The thread was slightly hijacked. Take a look around - we often go off on tangents. It's fun for everyone - just like a slinky.

Hardy likes this.
  10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 22, 2014

No worries bro.......people in here loves to joke around........it is the ultimate welcome available......

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

No harm was meant. This is a a rather more casual, light hearted forum than most. Just these guys way of accepting you into the fold.

12. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Jan 22, 2014

I might commit murder or a night time break in for that watch, to hold and wear the watch that T. E. Lawrence wore....I could die happy.

persco likes this.
  13. Mothra Jan 22, 2014

All of a sudden i have an urge to find that thread where we were discussing a 'dislike' button. Failing that, can we have an 'awful joke' emoticon? :)

14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

Little known fact: that's why he started the Arab Revolt. Lawrence saw this very watch window of an AD in Damascus when he was excavating at Carcemish, but the dealer was an intransigent guy when it came to prices and kind of a jerk who didn't much care for short people anyway. So when the war started, it got his wheels spinning. The rest is history. It would be somehow fitting for you to get it by smash and grab.

Post a wristshot here.

Larry S likes this.
  15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

Everybody knows that.

But did you know that when Dennis is stuck in snow traffic he makes abusive sounds. :coffee:
    :eek:

frederico likes this.
  16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

I'm pretty sure that's not situational.

17. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

A Geico commercial homage!

Well, it sort of is - I do use the same words when the spinning beach ball slows me down on the computer or I burn dinner.

18. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jan 23, 2014

lol oh you guys. Scared the OP away haha

19. ulackfocus Jan 23, 2014

I'm sure he'll be happy back at WUS. If there's ever a listing on eBay for a sense of humor I hope he outbids the shill or gets a second chance offer.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 23, 2014

Great shots OP, hope I can make it there too some day, looks like a place you could spend hours