Forums Latest Members

A Tale of Two Watches + Introduction

1. odin.grey Jul 15, 2019

Hello all!

I have been reading pretty widely here for the past couple of months and I thought I would introduce myself and tell you a neat little story about an old watch and a new one.

I have had a passing interest in watches for years, but up until recently I steadfastly avoided really looking at them. Why? Because I knew that if I opened that door I would start collecting. Well, a few months ago I opened the door and let’s just say… I was correct in that assumption. I’m really into it… reading a ton, looking a ton… and of course, buying… not a ton, but some… in short, I’m hooked!

I came up with a short (long) list of watches I liked… and for my first watch I narrowed it down to a Speedmaster Pro or a Grand Seiko “Snowflake” … obviously very different, but for me at least, complimentary watches, and both really special in their own ways. After some deliberation I went with the Snowflake first… my gut was telling me that it was a great watch to purchase new, whereas for me, it seemed more appropriate to give the Speedy some time and try to find a vintage example… maybe birth year, or slightly before… so I have sort of narrowed it down to either a 145.022-69 produced in 1970… or a 145.022-68 transitional (I like the applied logo)…but that search goes on… it’s hard to find one that checks all the boxes. Back to the Snowflake, I purchased it and love it… most people probably think it’s simple, elegant and understated, which I it is, but it’s also rather blingy… at least to me… it’s so shiny and precise!

So I had been wearing it for about a month and also cleaning out my office and workspace (trying to find stuff to sell so I can buy more watches) … kidding, not kidding… and I came across a few older family watches… nothing rare or monetarily valuable… an interesting but pretty inexpensive watch my grandfather got when he retired, an old pocket watch from some ancestor… an old Swiss Army watch from my younger years I had forgotten about… but the watch I wanted to find but couldn’t locate was my father’s. I couldn’t remember anything about it except that it was a silver color and that he wore it on some kind of bracelet. I had my sister looking for it (thousands of miles away)… we both remembered he wore a watch… but no details and neither of us could recall seeing it since he passed away decades ago. Well to make a long story short, a few weeks went by and I found it myself in a box of old things and had to apologize to my sister for making her go through boxes in her basement when I had it the whole time and didn’t know it.

The neat part is that it’s a Seiko… a Sportsmatic 5. It wasn’t in bad shape, the crystal was pretty destroyed, but I had a competent local watchmaker clean and service the movement (but no polishing!) and replace the crystal with a genuine Seiko one… what’s cool is that I didn’t remember this watch at all, except it was a silver color and on a silver colored bracelet of some sort… and I didn’t think about it at all when making my first big watch purchase… but when you look at them together it’s pretty wild that they have a great deal in common.

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

I have done some research on my father’s watch… given the movement number, serial number and case markings it looks like it was made in June of 1965. My father was enlisted in the US Air Force from 1964-68… he was stationed in the Philippines and Thailand during Vietnam. Given what I have read and the timing, it seems very likely that he purchased this watch at a PX on one of those bases or somewhere in the vicinity.

Despite the Seiko and GS nature of the story, I am very into Omega… just taking it all in. I am more into the vintage side of Omega and there is so much to learn and discover... So here I am!

Thank you for this forum and all the research and sharing. I look forward to learning much more and contributing where I can.

Eve, Onion0909, Martin_J_N and 12 others like this.
  2. WatchCor Jul 15, 2019

Welcome, very nice pair of watches you have there. Considering in how humid and warm climate your father's watch spent it first years the dial is in immaculate condition. Bravo. Very beautiful and timeless.

odin.grey likes this.
  3. Professor Jul 16, 2019

Your Dad's watch is looking great, you can pass it down to multiple generations.
    The Snowflakes are stunning.

odin.grey likes this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 16, 2019

Welcome

How cool is that, Now you can sell the snowflake as you already have a white dial and get the Speedmaster you want ;) ( but you have probably had that thought already, haven’t you ! :D )

WatchCor likes this.
  5. odin.grey Jul 16, 2019

I don't think I will be selling the Snowflake. It is so perfect from an aesthetic and craft standpoint. I love them as a pair. I can see selling a bit as I progress in this hobby, but I think as a "first watch" the Snowflake will maintain its place in my burgeoning collection. :)

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 23, 2019

Hello and welcome ! :thumbsup:

A proper introduction is already a great start. Well done. ;)

Regarding the Speedy, take your time and learn. When the right one will pop up, you will know it. The most disappointing situation is when the one comes up for sale and you aren't ready, either because you hesitate (lack of knowledge) or you can't buy (lack of resources). So learn while you're getting ready with your disposable income ;)

And you'll see once you're there - it's all about the journey, not the destination. So, enjoy the journey :cool: