Forums Latest Members
  1. Edward53 Jul 26, 2016

This Seastar auto was the first vintage watch I bought, in about 2012. My tastes have changed somewhat since then but I still quite like this clunky thing. It's almost NOS, just has a small but annoying knock on the bezel. I had it serviced and it keeps amazingly good time, within 1-2 sec per day, leading me to believe it's had practically no use.
    IMG_3978.JPG
    The Seastar below belonged to my late father. I remember him buying it in about 1962 and maybe this is what prompted me to get a Tissot of my own. Dad died last year and I inherited his, so I now have two. This one's not a watch I'd wear, but for obvious reasons I don't feel like selling it. Whether he ever had it serviced I don't know, but I rather doubt it. All the same it's in good shape and only needs a bit of a clean. The glass is a bit scratched and there is one spot on the dial, but otherwise it's done pretty well for a 53-year daily wearer. And he even had the foresight to buy one with a cross hair dial, which seems to be quite a rarity for a Tissot.
    IMG_3988.JPG

ahartfie and OMGRLX like this.
  2. OmegaCal66 Jul 26, 2016

Nice watches, though slightly prefer the second, make a good dress watch. Tissot much loved by some of us but takes a bit of work to find info on them. Do you know what calibres they are?

3. Vitezi Jul 26, 2016

The Seastar model was launched in 1954, in both manual-wind and automatic versions. Although the model was intended to be something of a sports watch, you can find dressy verions in gold as well as the expected stainless steel. This example, with the original 'oyster pearl' dial, is from 1958:
    upload_2016-7-26_18-21-56.png

What caught my eye when I bought this watch was its hard-to-find Gay Freres bracelet. The manufacturing mark dates the bracelet to 1958, so a good example of the watch and bracelet being paired together at the time of sale.
    upload_2016-7-26_18-30-18.png

Edward53, ahartfie and Giff2577 like this.
  4. Edward53 Jul 27, 2016

I don't know what calibre these are. I bought the top one in 2012 when I was new to this and thought the 70s look was a good one. I didn't make a note of the calibre after getting it serviced, though I do recall the watchmaker telling me it was a Tissot (as opposed to an Omega) movement. If only it didn't have that chunky housing I would love it for its amazing timekeeping. As it is, I'm quite fond of it.

I've never had my Dad's watch open so anything could be inside it. I agree with Cal66 that it's the classier of the two.

Vitezi that is one mean-looking cat! Has he/she lost an eye or was it just the moment?