Forums Latest Members

A Tale of Subterfuge and an Omega AD

1. Bushido Sep 9, 2016

*Warning! Word and Pic Heavy!!*

Last weekend, my wife and I headed out of town for a long weekend. We set our sites on visiting some good friends in a nearby city and set ourselves up in a nice posh hotel in downtown. Knowingly, there is an established Omega AD only two blocks away from where we were staying. I had been looking forward to spending a lengthy and enjoyable time window shopping in the store as a rare treat (there are no ADs in our home city).

We were inside the store, first customers of the morning, right upon opening. As I made a bee line straight to the Omega display, I was eyeing various models to see and try on for size. Admittedly, I had no interest in purchasing anything, as I have already made two big ticket watch purchases earlier this year.

A very nice salesman came over right away, greeted my wife and I, and then began pulling out various models for me to see.

The Sedna FOIS was a stunner. Certainly one you need to see in person to really appreciate!
    upload_2016-9-9_19-10-47.jpeg

Of course one must always stop and appreciate the modern Speedy:
    upload_2016-9-9_19-14-36.jpeg

The new Seamaster META is no slouch! Quite comfortable on the wrist despite it's larger size and thickness
    upload_2016-9-9_19-17-11.jpeg

Then there was the last watch I had asked to have pulled out. While I had seen pictures and enjoyed the look, never had I seen one in the flesh, nor thought I would. A brand new Speedmaster 45th Anniversary Apollo 11:
    upload_2016-9-9_19-21-51.jpeg

This...this was love at first sight! A second attendant was required to wipe the drool from my face before I could go running and blubbering to my wife about my find!

Of course, I was not anticipating a new purchase, and I do not enjoy sleeping on the couch. So, while love was in the air, I told my wife we could leave and chat about it. Make sure we were both comfortable with the buy before pulling the trigger. The friendly salesman said he would set it aside for the day and await our return.

After a couple more hours of walking and shopping, the watch never left my mind. I knew that this was no impulse purchase. My wife agreed but she had a manicure/pedicure appointment she needed to make prior to us returning to the AD.

Fast forward to post mani/pedi, we strolled back into the AD with a huge smile on my face with anticipation. Up to the counter I went and saw the same salesman making his way over. I immediately said "I'm ready to make the buy!"

To which he replied "I am so very sorry. Another salesman sold the watch earlier this afternoon to another client. I feel terrible but couldn't do anything. No deposit was put down."

My jaw dropped. I responded "Seriously? No mention of a deposit was spoken. Well that really sucks." Then said fair well. Immediately knowing that I would not ever return.

As my wife and I walked around the city, she kept apologizing. Saying that she blames herself for wanting to "get her nails done" and do other shopping before returning to the watch store. I assured her that she was at no fault. I was aghast at the behavior from this AD but that is of no fault of her own. My loss was chalked up to crappy luck and back to our hotel we went.

Upon entering our room, there was something different than before we had left...
    upload_2016-9-9_19-38-38.jpeg

For the second time that day I was floored! I turn to my wife to see an enormous smile spread across her face. "I couldn't help it and pass up the opportunity to pull one over on you" she said. "I was the other client!" she exclaimed.

Apparently, she ran to her nails appointment, convinced the tech to wait for her, and sprinted over the the AD. Strolled in and informed them of her demands. She purchased the watch along with having them toss in some other goodies. Most importantly to her, she required the salesman be in on the conspiracy. He immediately begged not to be made to go through with it. However, the shop owner had been listening, loved the idea, and insisted he follow her lead. Agreement having been struck, she then ran back to the hotel, had the hotel manager sign for the items and hold them in the hotel safe. To be delivered to the room once I had left and she gave the go ahead.

Laying out the bounty:
    upload_2016-9-9_19-46-54.jpeg

The grand opening:
    upload_2016-9-9_19-47-41.jpeg

And even a personalized note from the salesman!
    upload_2016-9-9_19-49-5.jpeg

Of course we returned to the scene of the crime so that I could thank Sam and the rest of the staff for a fun bit of events. All the staff were laughing, congratulating, and shaking our hands.

Glamour shots:
    upload_2016-9-9_19-54-45.jpeg

upload_2016-9-9_19-59-57.jpeg

upload_2016-9-9_20-4-46.jpeg

If any of you end up in Portland, OR make sure to stop by this most fantastic AD and know you will receive the best of service! I know I will be back for more :)

upload_2016-9-9_19-53-5.jpeg upload_2016-9-9_19-55-25.jpeg upload_2016-9-9_19-56-38.jpeg upload_2016-9-9_20-3-10.jpeg
    Edited Sep 9, 2016
  2. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Sep 9, 2016

And THAT is how you know this guy has a great wife. Congrats on the new piece!

Edited Sep 9, 2016
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 9, 2016

That's just terrible. :mad:
    I hope you told her that you and her were through and to hit the road.
    Totally unacceptable.
    Oh and nice watch too :p:p:p

4. bnabod Sep 9, 2016

Pretty cool story and now you get to enjoy a truly beautiful watch.
    If my wife ever did this well I might marry her one more time :)

congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DIV and Bushido like this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 9, 2016

BTW, the Vancouver Boutique has an incredible inventory. There is also a nice Omega AD in Victoria. Ya, know, just for future shopping :rolleyes:

Bushido likes this.
  6. ReturnOfUltraman Sep 9, 2016

Absolutely amazing is the understatement. And to get a watch that has been on everyone's wish list? Color me jealous. You have a fantastic wife. Wear it in good health!

Bushido likes this.
  7. abrod520 Sep 9, 2016

What a sweet story. Surprised there are (or were!) still examples of the XI-45 available... it's an awesome watch, a ton of fun to wear - enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Bushido likes this.
  8. shutterlife Sep 9, 2016

Thanks for sharing your story. What a score. Both on the watch and the wife. Both keepers.

Bushido likes this.
  9. Fordex Sep 9, 2016

Great read! Congrats!

Bushido likes this.
  10. Bushido Sep 10, 2016

Thanks everyone. I was shocked to see this watch new sitting there too, very very happy to have claimed it my own. I tell my wife all the time that I know I "married up" and so work hard to earn it.

I also made sure to reciprocate the following day :)
    upload_2016-9-9_22-49-41.jpeg

Giff2577, José9, ahartfie and 7 others like this.
  11. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Sep 10, 2016

Fantastic story. Really wasn't sure where it was heading :thumbsup:
    Thanks for taking the time to share.

And you've taken some excellent shots.
    This one is a stand out. :cool:
    281568-d96734fbe77f6c6352ef67fd3eb61fce.jpg

José9, Longbow, Jwit and 1 other person like this.
  12. lillatroll Sep 10, 2016

Fantastic story, and congratulations on your new watch. Everyone thinks their wife is one in a million but you have definately hit the jackpot there. :)

Jwit and Bushido like this.
  13. tyrantlizardrex Sep 10, 2016

Your wife is an evil genius! :thumbsup::D:cool:

14. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Sep 10, 2016

What a fabulous wife you have. Enjoy the 45th. It is a beautiful piece. May I suggest a Titanium bracelet for it at some point. It really makes the watch pop. Enjoy it for years to come. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

larryganz and Bushido like this.
  15. flw history nerd Sep 10, 2016

What a terrific story! And well played on the return gift the next day. Awesome wife, awesome watch! :D

Bushido likes this.
  16. Flingit1200s Sep 10, 2016

Great watch, wife & AD. The story is what is of true value in my opinion. Share it often with children and grandchildren as it sets a great example of what the dynamic should be between a husband and wife. All the best!

John

Clibka and Bushido like this.
  17. NT931 Sep 10, 2016

What a great story! A story of true love indeed :thumbsup:

Bushido likes this.
  18. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Sep 10, 2016

Wonderful story...
    Until we see the next post: "Just noticed $10k missing from my personal bank account"...

19. Jking something intelligent and witty... Sep 10, 2016

Everything about this story is great. The wife, the watch and the AD! Congrats on the purchase!

Bushido likes this.
  20. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 10, 2016

NFW, and even better story. :thumbsup:

Bushido and ulackfocus like this.