Forums Latest Members

A tale of a Grail, a waiting list, an irate wife's ultimatum and threat of castration. Nautilus 5712

1. chunkythebulldog Jan 29, 2017

September 2016, the Ultimatum

If you buy another watch this year I'm going to divorce you and take you to the cleaners. I'll go for half your watches, the house, your car and Chunky.

October 2016, the Grail.

I was perusing watches in a York jewellers and I enquired as to lead time on a grail watch of mine, a Patek Philippe Nautilus ref 5712. The AD came back with approx 2 / 3 years and said you can get your name down on the waiting list for a non-refundable deposit of £500.00. I ummed and arred and decided to leave the shop without being added to the waiting list. Whilst wandering around York and sampling a few pints I decided I was going to go back to the AD to add my name to the list as I had to walk past it to get to the train station. After sampling a few more beers I decided to head back. As I'd had one beer too many I had lost track of time and the AD was shut. I thought well at least it's saved me a lot of money.

November 2016, the Call.

I had 2 missed calls on my mobile from a number I didn't recognise. I never usually do this but decided to ring the number back to see who it was. They answered the phone and it was the AD so I asked to speak to the salesman I'd been speaking to the last time I was in. Good news, spoken to Patek and they can get you the 5712 in about 2 months time but I need an answer today along with the £500.00 deposit. Within seconds my credit card was out and I was down on the list.

December 2016, Watch Sale.

Wife, what are you doing with those watches. Me, taking pictures to sell them as I'm fairly skint. Wife, you better not have bought another watch. Me, have I hell.
    ::popcorn::::popcorn::

Decembr 2016, the Appeasement Gift.

Back to the AD to pick up a Christmas present for the wife. Would you like it gift wrapping and shall I put the receipts in your bag, without thinking about the plural of receipt I said go on then.

Christmas Day 2016, the Receipt discovery.

Wife opens her nicely wrapped gift and is over the moon. I said read all the paperwork so that you know how to set it etc. Unbeknownst to me the £500.00 deposit receipt was in with the paperwork.::facepalm1::

Christmas Day + 2 2016, the Argument.

Silly argument over nothing and she drops the bombshell (why do women always save things up to use against you in the future?). Have you bought another watch, no what makes you say that. Wife, because I've found a receipt for a Patek. An ::censored:: Patek. It could have been something cheap but an ::censored:: Patek. That's it I'm taking you to the cleaners. I'm taking you for half of your ::censored:: Patek. Me, I'm off to walk Chunky and calling for a few swifties in the pub. 5 hours later when I come home the house is in darkenss and she's fast asleep in bed. Next couple of days the temperature is cooler than the Arctic.

January 2017, the Collection.

And as a thread is of no use without pictures here they are.
    IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0273.JPG IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0274.JPG IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0281.JPG IMG_0277.JPG

Shabbaz, McJamesT, Ranger230 and 50 others like this.
  2. Scepticalist Jan 29, 2017

You've obviosuly made more than one error along the way. My wife wouldn't even know what a Patek was, let alone the value compared to an Omega.

Congratulations though :)

McJamesT, blubarb, BlackTalon and 5 others like this.
  3. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jan 29, 2017

Congrats, that's a stunner. :thumbsup:Have you been forgiven yet? Or are you seeking legal counsel?

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 29, 2017

Doesn't seem fair that she would threaten to castrate Chunky for your transgressions. :rolleyes:

kkt, blubarb, OMGRLX and 2 others like this.
  5. chunkythebulldog Jan 29, 2017

She's still a bit frosty but when I collected it yesterday it cost me some new shoes, a handbag and a jacket. No doubt there's more to come.

6. cristos71 Jan 29, 2017

Nice story, beautiful watch and I also hapen to know someone about to have a nest of kittens, I'll PM you the details :D

watchknut and chunkythebulldog like this.
  7. bencrouch25 Jan 29, 2017

Great story!

If that was my wife I'd still be convincing her £500 wasn't too much to pay for a watch I normally pretend the invoices from STS are for the watches themselves - it works occasionally!

8. chunkythebulldog Jan 29, 2017

I've used that one in the past as well. Unfortunately she turned into Miss Marples on this one and did a lot of googling.

bencrouch25 likes this.
  9. tapaptpat Jan 29, 2017

Can we have a picture as proof of life that Chunky is alive and well.

PS congrats.

OMGRLX, Jwit and chunkythebulldog like this.
  10. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 29, 2017

If you want I can hold your watches for you in case of a divorce. Send them now and and avoid possible confiscation during the proceedings...

Darwin, ahartfie, Atalien2005 and 2 others like this.
  11. chunkythebulldog Jan 29, 2017

I can confirm that no Chunkys were hurt during this saga and that Chunky lost no sleep either.

IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0286.JPG

sjg22, McJamesT, Longbow and 24 others like this.
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 29, 2017

Yes but just think of the anxiety you you've caused him :unsure:

blubarb and OMGRLX like this.
  13. U5512 Jan 29, 2017

Awesome watch and big congrats!!! Now, let's see a picture of your wife smiling next to you....

chunkythebulldog likes this.
  14. jimmyd13 Jan 29, 2017

I have this occasional prescience .. call it a second sight ... but I see a big gift in your near future ... lots of big gifts ... but you're not receiving any of them.

OMGRLX, blubarb, Ezurcc and 2 others like this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 29, 2017

There needs to be a new "Managing The Significant Other" forum. I have had a regular intervals unhappy noises from the missus.

The other day, having ticked the wrong delivery box on my first Parcel Pro shipment, my Choc Speedy came to the house when I was in my downtown office vs my usual hold for pickup strategy. My son, in on the conspiracy, signed and put it on my desk. When my wife asked later what was in it I just said "materials" ... I pray that since I have a global job and get packages from other countries regularly, that "materials" from OZ meant books in her mind. Either that or she's resigned to this hobby of mine.

OMGRLX, billving, blubarb and 6 others like this.
  16. Alex_TA Jan 29, 2017

Who are those mysterious "cleaners"?
    Dry cleaners? Contract killers?

17. alam Jan 29, 2017

and all those wrinkles on him are more than evidence! :)

OMGRLX, chunkythebulldog and Deafboy like this.
  18. Buck2466 Jan 29, 2017

Note to self.......Keep staying single.

erok32, glenn63, OMGRLX and 5 others like this.
  19. Thebounder Jan 29, 2017

A Patek is forever, a wife is just for Christmas - or something like that

20. AnotherDon Jan 29, 2017

What a great story! Soon you may be the living embodiment of the old joke..

"Last weekend I got a Patek for my wife...and I thought that was a pretty fair trade."

::rimshot:: Ba-Dum-Bum <--Rim shot

I'll be here all week Don't forget to tip your server. :)

isaac.owen.nz, kkt, OMGRLX and 10 others like this.