Forums Latest Members
  1. Tizius Oct 7, 2018

Hello to everyone,
    That's my first post here. I just bought yesterday the straight writing you can see in the picture and I noticed that the second hand has turned green.
    Speaking with a watch dealer I was told that probably that hand was painted some years ago with a paint that has turned green. What do you think? Should I get that fixed?
    I hope that's not going to lower the value of the watch.

Thank you very much

Tiziano

20181006_154823.jpg
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 7, 2018

My 76 is green tinted...

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 7, 2018

@Foo2rama , the hand itself or the lume, on yours?

4. michael e Still learning. Oct 7, 2018

Hi.
    Is that a Portuguese import stamp on the left top lug?
    Nice looking watch.

We have had the Ultraman with the orange chrono hand, perhaps this is the Hulk with a green chrono hand. :)

But seriously, if it bothers you I am sure there are a few tritium chrono hands out there for sale.
    Cheers, Michael

Davidt, eugeneandresson and Tizius like this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 7, 2018

I was on mobile, the lume on my 76 is still greenish in pure light. I see the hand now is a slightly off color, now that I am on the PC. My hand colors all match.

Tizius and oddboy like this.
  6. Tizius Oct 7, 2018

The hand itself. Maybe I should call it hulk in comparison with ultraman

7. Tizius Oct 7, 2018

I think is just a rain drop... we had the same idea about Hulk, maybe is going to be famous one day . Thank you

8. Tizius Oct 7, 2018

I see... I'm the only one around with the green hand. Thank you

9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 7, 2018

Hulk is a Rolex. In keeping with the Japanese influence, maybe the Godzilla?

I have never seen a hand turn like that. Maybe it was repainted at some point. Not the end of the world IMHO. You could probably have it redone, or find a new one old one on eBay, or here. They come up pretty regularly.

JanV, bags1971, Tizius and 1 other person like this.
  10. Tizius Oct 8, 2018

Thank you everyone for the funny and competent answers. I'm going to get it fixed, I'll post a picture of the result in few days

11. bags1971 Oct 8, 2018

to me the chrono hand looks repainted

airansun and Tizius like this.
  12. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 8, 2018

to me all hands look repainted. look carefully at the shape of the lume inserts (and the texture of the paint), especially on the hour and minute hands. Last time I pointed this out, I got ridiculed...

Edit : not a biggie, just worth knowing if one is looking to purchase.

ndgal, airansun and gdupree like this.
  13. bags1971 Oct 8, 2018

Actually your right they all look repainted :thumbsup:

airansun and gdupree like this.
  14. Tizius Oct 8, 2018

That's a pretty sad new... I've been studying reference dial and bezel before the purchase but I didn't give enough attention at the hands. I'm kind of new to the vintage market. What do you suggest me to do? I've an appointment with a very good lab here in Milan the day after tomorrow to evaluate what to do. Thank you

15. gdupree Oct 8, 2018

The hands can either be redone, or replaced with relative ease. There are many talented individuals that could repaint and relume the hands in a way that is practically indiscernible from the original (not that your intent would be to fool anyone - but for the sake of aesthetic and enjoyment...). Or, with a little patience it isn't that difficult to find period-correct originals to replace them with. Neither option should set you back more than $800 USD.

airansun and eugeneandresson like this.
  16. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 8, 2018

In this case, most important thing and the things which carry the most value (and I can't give you an order, as everybody feels differently) is the dial, the case and the bezel.
    The hands are so small that, when you look at them, you will find it difficult to see that with your naked eye (well, not the green perhaps). You could source another set of hands. There is one for sale here now : https://omegaforums.net/threads/spe...-tritium-hand-set-1968-97.83064/#post-1071109

Alternately what one can do, is get a modern set of replacement hands, and have them vintage aged. One can make them look and glow like the lume on the dial. As I mentioned, not a 'biggie' but worth knowing. I also did not read that you had already bought this watch...for that I humbly apologize.

17. Tizius Oct 8, 2018

No apologies needed at all. I just thank you for all the informations... I'll keep you updated posting pictures after I get the problem fixed

18. Matt P Oct 8, 2018

That's a very pretty ghosted bezel. ::love::

Tizius and Foo2rama like this.
  19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 8, 2018

Is it me or is it missing the retaining ring?

ndgal likes this.
  20. southard Oct 8, 2018

Green Lantern with his space travel background would be more fitting.

Tizius likes this.