Forums Latest Members

A story of broken watches: My grandfather's 1963 vintage Certina!

1. Kathmandu! Dec 28, 2016

Dear OF members,

Hope you're having a great holiday season!

Today I had the pleasure to receive from my grandmother, my grandfather's watch: a vintage jumbo Certina from early 1960s. Reference number is 8002 017 and serial number is 4736023.

I've just started researching and collecting watches and there are no words that can describe how happy I am for having inherited this watch, a watch that my grandpa winded even the night before he passed away around 10 years ago.

This is actually a watch that my father received as a gift for his first communion in 1963, along with another one. He decided to wear this other watch until the day in which he had a sort of argument with my grampa that resulted in the watch being broken...I don't know for which reasons, maybe my father did not even remember the existence of the Certina at that time, but this watch remained unworn until the day in which my granpa's watch stopped working, and my father gave him his Certina that he wore it for around 10-20 years.

This watch has remained in a box for the last 13 years, until witch my uncle's one, a chunky Breil, stopped working and my grandmother gave the Certina to him. He wore it for three months and then gave it back to her because it was aplaerently not working...

Lucky me! Long story short, today I went to visit my grandmother with my father and collect the watch. My father had no idea of which watch I could find at my granma's place. He only told me that I could find a vintage watch that he received in 1963...

And this is what I found! I'm in my early days of collecting vintage watches and this is actually only my second one, so cannot really comment a lot regarding specs and condition.

20161228_114630.jpg 20161228_180708.jpg 20161228_180337.jpg 20161228_180435.jpg

What I see here is a (probably) all original dial in near perfect condition with applied markers in rose gold (plated?). The plexiglass has a big scratch at 6 o'clock and various smaller others all around. The chromed case (argh!) is not in great shape and it seems that the plating has worn off in many points. Lugs look super sharp to me and I think the watch has never been polished. The case back is in perfect condition with no scratches and all numbers are clearly visible. I don't have neither the original staple or buckle, nor box and papers. The crown is unmarked: maybe is this a replacement?

I haven't opened the watch (never done it) and couldn't find information about the movement, number 80, in the Certina database. Despite what my uncle said, I managed to wind the watch that it seems to run!!!!

May I kindly ask you what are your thoughts about this piece? I want to keep it as original as possible, but is there anything I could do to remove at least the green from the case? Which kind of service does the watch need?

Thank you very much!
    K.

JimInOz, Jwit, aap and 3 others like this.
  2. Vitezi Dec 28, 2016

We love a good heirloom story, and thank you for sharing yours. Certinas are a favorite on this forum! Your best bet is to find a vintage watchmaker and have them perform a sympathetic cleaning and service of the movement. The watchmaker can gently clean the green funk off the case while the watch is disassembled for the service. It will look great when done, and you'll have a piece that can be handed down if you choose.

3. GuiltyBoomerang Dec 28, 2016

Great first post! Very much a delicate piece. Take it to a reputable watchmaker and ask them to perform a movement service only, as well as just a clean on the case with no polishing. Ensure that the hands and markers are not relumed (if they have lume.) Ask them to change the crystal, and to provide you with all replaced parts. If so desired, you may ask for a replating of the non chromed areas. From a sentimental/originality point of view this does not need to be done however.

Certina were an excellent brand that offered many watches that compared well with Omega at the time. If properly serviced your watch will hold a 38-40hr power reserve and keep good time.

I wouldn't worry too much about missing box and papers - what's more important is the watch itself. I also wouldn't worry about the crown being unsigned, as it appears to be the same age as the watch (and could also be original to the watch.)

Kathmandu! likes this.
  4. kkt Dec 28, 2016

Glad that it runs! That's very encouraging! However, the lubricating oil will be thoroughly dried up by now. Suggest not running it any more until it is serviced.

Kathmandu! likes this.
  5. Canuck Dec 28, 2016

Without seeing inside the case, we are guessing as to what movement is in it. Probably something like a Kurth Certina 28-10 as pictured in this image from the Ranfft archive.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Certina_28_10

Excellent movement with no frills. Good design, nice finish, good performer. I think you are going to find that the markers on your dial are not applied markers, but die struck. Not an important difference. Too bad about the peeling chrome. I have two Certinas, both in chrome cases. And I wish they were steel, instead.

Kathmandu! likes this.
  6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 28, 2016

A lovely post and not a single question as to its' monetary value :thumbsup:
    Wear and enjoy in good health.

Kathmandu! likes this.
  7. Kathmandu! Dec 29, 2016

@Vitezi Thank you very much! I have a cousin who is a watchmaker and will try to arrange a meeting with him today. Unfortunately, we live in different countries but we're in the same one at the moment!

@GuiltyBoomerang Thank you very much for you very valuable inputs! I'm glad to know that the crown might be original - I will do a bit more research on this and keep you posted on this. Regarding servicing, you mentioned exactly the things I had in mind. I don't fancy the idea of a replating - I want to keep the watch as original as I found it.

@kkt Thanks for the great advice! I will not wear it then.

@Canuck Thanks for your great input on the movement! I had a look online and found a youtube clip of a Certina very similar to mine with a 28-10. It has same hands and a very close serial number in the 4.5. - 5.0 range that dates the watch to the same year, 1963 (
    ). Hopefully I will post a shot of the movement later today! Interesting is that there is a different logo on watches that are very similar and from the same year!? Congrats for your two Certinas! Do you have pictures?

@Alpha Thank you very much! I hope to never find myself in position in which I have to sell this watch.

K.

8. Canuck Dec 29, 2016

My two Certinas. The one without the calendar has had extensive work. The calendar one is a survivor. Both are automatic winders in chrome plated cases. IMG_1539.JPG PC196077.JPG PC196083.JPG

Kathmandu! likes this.
  9. GuiltyBoomerang Dec 29, 2016

That wouldn't surprise me, seeing as they could have been different sub-models within the range.

Mine says hello:

certinas.jpg

Kathmandu! and Vitezi like this.
  10. Kathmandu! Jan 21, 2017