Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 24, 2013

We are getting our first serious dump of the season thanks to a line of snow squalls coming off Lake Huron....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a fairly light snow but falling steadily now for many hours. It's about knee deep on me in the driveway right now...

Supposed to continue like this most of the day, so hopefully the snow blower starts later tonight!! Bit early for this, and I have not yet cleaned all the leaves out of my eaves....hopefully this will melt during the week and next weekend I can tackle that job.

And so it begins...

Cheers, Al

damodude34 and JimInOz like this.
  2. ulackfocus Nov 24, 2013

Knee deep snow would cause Joizey to come to a screeching halt.

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 24, 2013

One inch will do that in London :(

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  4. CdnWatchDoc Nov 24, 2013

Typical snowfall here in the middle of Canada; at least in S. Ontario it tends to melt down over the winter. Once it drops, it's here until March!!
    Great pics there Al!

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 24, 2013

It's pretty typical here too. If the wind is coming from the North we get it from Lake Huron, and from the South we get it from Lake Erie. Although we aren't technically in the "snowbelt" we get our fair share...

And although we do have melts during the winter, we also have years where it's here from winter to spring...although those are becoming less common.

The good thing is it's not really cold yet - only -10 today.

6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 24, 2013

Only -10 Man they breed them tough in your part of the world.

7. Noisy Nova Nov 24, 2013

We got about an inch here. I'm an hour east, right on Lake Erie.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 24, 2013

Wow, nothing to do but stay inside and work on watches. Productivity will shoot through the roof :p

9. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 24, 2013

Respectable Member Archer

OMG! Minus 10 'it's not really cold yet'. I will be frozen to death at that temperature. Sydney's winter which is more or less equivalent to your summer is bad enough, for me. I miss the Singapore 28 degrees, hot and humid throughout the year.

Anyway, do enjoy it.

Thank-you.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 24, 2013

One flake will do that in South Florida.

[​IMG]

It's only happened once in recorded history.
    gatorcpa

11. ulackfocus Nov 24, 2013

Sure, rub it in!

12. CdnWatchDoc Nov 24, 2013

I woke up this morning and it was -18 C with the windchill...about 0 F in NJ terms. "Shrug"...another winter day. Canada Goose parkas are good because they have been tested in real conditions!
    There is some truth to what Alpha says; if you can live in Canada, you can live anywhere!!

13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 24, 2013

Remind me when I was graduate student in Ann Arbor, Michigan back in 1st Jan 1999. The snow was belly deep in our family housing lawn. The snow blower could not clean the path until the next 2 days. Public bus stopped the service for 3 days. Near isolation. I think the suburb house suffered even worse.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 25, 2013

Well our weather is different than you think if you think our summer is like a Sydney winter...and yes my wife is from Australia, and I have been there in both the winter and summer....

In the winter we get many days at -10 or below, and the coldest I can recall was I think in the early 90's - it was -35 C for several days in a row, and with the wind chill factored in made it feel like -45 C. That's unusual, but each year we tend to get a few days at -20 or below unless it is a really warm winter.

I don't consider it to be really cold until it's a "snot freezer" day. ;) This means every time you inhale through your nose, the snot freezes...and -10 isn't cold enough for that. That's also the temperature when the snow is very crunchy to walk on...

In the summer here, we get quite hot and humid weather. I think the hottest temperature I can personally remember was back in the late 80's, and it was +38 C here. However we get plenty of days in the summer where the temperature is at or above 30 C, and with the humidity factored in, it can feel like the mid 40's here during the summer time quite often.

So we have some weather extremes here for sure.

You would not freeze to death in this weather, because if you dress properly, it's fine being outside. When it gets below -20 though, you have to be careful of frostbite on exposed skin - can happen quickly.

So "officially" the snowfall was recorded as only 30 cm, but local amounts in the heavy part of the squalls in our area were up to 70 cm of snow. The snow blower worked, but the snow was a bear to move as it was compacting on me and the blower was plowing it more than blowing it....but the driveway is mostly clear....

Oh and since this is a Canadiana thread sort of, congrats to the Roughriders for winning the 101st Grey Cup, and their first on home field! Glad Hamilton didn't win! :)

15. CdnWatchDoc Nov 25, 2013

Al, do you "bleed Rider Green"? Expat from Saskatchewan or just a lover of good football?

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 25, 2013

No green blood or watermelons on my head thanks...just an Argos fan who doesn't want Hamilton to win. LOL!

17. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 25, 2013

That's a bit harsh Al.

LEWIS.jpg

18. CdnWatchDoc Nov 25, 2013

One of Canadians' favorite sports is slagging Toronto, so this comeback is justified!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 26, 2013

When I think of Canada/Australia weather extremes I recall a friend of ours from 300 Mile House who was telling us she was going to go skiing on Saturday (some time ago). She went outside and it was 30 below (snot freezer?) so she went back inside and read a book :D

On the other side, we had a hot day here (Black Saturday, 7FEB2010), at 14:00 the insect candles in my courtyard (which were in the shade) had melted and ran off the shelf, the temp sensor which was under the eaves in the shade registered a max for that day of 47 degrees Celcius :eek:

Which was cause for lots of ::beer::

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 26, 2013

Building I work in had no aircon Monday, was 30C outside, inside was just crazy with computers running...