Forums Latest Members
  1. Dgercp Jun 12, 2016

Just thought I would share this anecdote of a few stressful hours this extremely neurotic collector had to endure this morning. I had lost some sleep last night thinking about a recent OF post last week about a speedy dial lacking concentric circles all of the subdials. It got me thinking about my newly acquired 105.003; I had never before noticed the concentric circles on it.

Well, I am away on vacation with the watch in question, but without my trusty loupe. Using my wife's magnifiers and the strongest light I could find, there were no subdial circles to be found. A huge wave of depression passed over me and I decided to take a walk and calm down. Well, that didn't work and as soon as I got back to my ipad, I googled speedy subdial concentric circles to try and see if all early speedies should have them. Well! i came across this blog from speedy101.

http://speedmaster101.com/blog/concentric-circles-on-subdials/

Needless to say, my heart sunk, and I spent the next 1/2 hour thinking about what I would say to the seller to try and get my money returned for this clearly fake watch. As I was doing this, I was flipping through my ipad photo album and came across this photo (photo #2).

As you can see, where there are slivers of light passing over the dial, faint but present circles can clearly be seen.
    Disaster averted! As Spacefruit had said in the blog, these subdial circles can be very faint, but always present.

So, that is how I spent this sunday morning. A day in the life of a slightly derranged vintage speedy lover.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Dash1 likes this.
  2. TNTwatch Jun 12, 2016

I believe Spacefruit had never meant his website to be a Gospel. He'd also be the first to say he hasn't seen everything yet.

The concentric rings just recently popped up here, but if you look more carefully with a better magnifier, I'm sure you'd find more details on your watch that are different from his watches... :)

Dgercp likes this.
  3. Dgercp Jun 12, 2016

To a rookie, spacefruit and others here close to Gospel :)

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 12, 2016

I hate that feeling. like a punch in the kidneys... glad it worked out!

TNTwatch and Dgercp like this.
  5. Dgercp Jun 12, 2016

The kidneys or lower :)

M'Bob and chronos like this.
  6. OmegaCal66 Jun 12, 2016

7. TNTwatch Jun 12, 2016

He got the lower kidneys ;)