Forums Latest Members

A Speedmaster, tea, and a guy who chops meat...

1. lillatroll Jun 17, 2019

No, if it
    Everything in French sounds Like that. I have not had very positive experiences while travelling in France, having travelled to over 40 countries and lived in seven for extended periods of time, generally speaking, the only country where I have found people to be most often rude and unhelpful, is in France.

Edited Jun 17, 2019
  2. jsducote Jun 17, 2019

I guess I've been lucky in France, not having had to suffer stereotypical rudeness. But I'm also able to travel off-season, so there aren't the massive throngs of other Americans there that would make even an American rude to other Americans.

But I really like Belgium. France without the attitude. Speak French poorly? Not a problem, thank you for the effort and here's your beer.

BatDad and Als 27 like this.
  3. Lbreak Jun 17, 2019

wow this interesting... bookmarking this tread

4. MRC Jun 17, 2019

Even poor French is very welcome in Quebec City, and 40-years-from-school-lessons German goes down very well with the older folk in Hungary. Only place I've had disdain for my command of a language I fondly thought I could speak was Austria, where my German was clearly not good enough. In Germany, fine.

Actualy I have no problems in France. Worst I can recall is persuading a waiter in Paris (actually Suresnes :eek:) that M. L'Anglais did understand that steak tartare was raw meat and it included garlic. (Gastronic note: garlic is not necessary for the traditional Mongolian dish, mais nous sommes en France :) )

Edited Jun 17, 2019
    jimmyd13 likes this.
  5. M'Bob Jun 18, 2019

The English gent told me last night that you could also call someone a "spanner." Ever hear of that one?

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 18, 2019

Yes, its nicer than wanker (which may get you punched) but not all that nice. Think retard*.

* I don't mean 'think you retard' I mean that is what the word sort of means!

M'Bob likes this.
  7. M'Bob Jun 18, 2019

Thanks for the clarification. It made me wonder for a moment if my wife had contacted you...

padders likes this.
  8. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jun 18, 2019

Yep, 'spanner' is a good one, oft-used in these parts, basically another term for 'eejut.' See also 'muppet,' 'nugget,' donkey,' dimwit.' 'Retard' however is harsh - and offensive to a lot of people.

M'Bob likes this.
  9. gostang9 Jun 18, 2019

It’s good to note that “spanner” is used to refer to a “wrench”.

Edit: so could be similar to calling someone a “tool” in the US or Canada.

madjestikmoose and M'Bob like this.
  10. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jun 19, 2019

We use 'tool' in the UK too. I think my personal favourite is 'bellend' though.

11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 19, 2019

'Tool' implies they are useful for something, so I rarely use that term when describing a moron.

12. MRC Jun 19, 2019

Tool as in "Brummagem screwdriver". Instrument used for the wrong purpose because someone is too lazy or stupid to find the right one.

Do not use that phrase in the UK's 2nd largest city.

13. jsducote Jun 19, 2019

Personally, I love that Britons don't shy away from the c-word (rhymes with hunt) the way Americans do. I especially like using it for a guy.

madjestikmoose likes this.
  14. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jun 19, 2019

A few years ago I was in an amateur production of a play called 'Jerusalem,' by Jez Butterworth and set in Wiltshire, England. It's an outstanding script, and riddled with profanity, including multiple c-bombs. Whilst rehearsing it, we had a visit from Danny Kirrane who played one of the original parts in the West end and subsequent Broadway productions. He told us that they'd had to edit out (reluctantly) about 90% of the c-bombs for the American audience, as once a character said it, the audience would instantly ignore him/her for the rest of the show.

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 20, 2019

This tread is pure poetry! Within my community of practice on both sides of the pond, I am known for my colloquialisms. Need to add some of these.

M'Bob likes this.
  16. Steve Essex Jun 20, 2019

One of our cockney comedians on Americans and the language confusion......

Edited Jun 20, 2019
  17. MRC Jun 20, 2019

There's a Jasper Carrot (Brummagem-born comedian obliquely referenced upthread) story in which he's pulled up by a policeman while driving in the USA and is asked to produce his license. The policeman says "Hey you must be a pretty good driver, look at all these endorsements."

In the days of paper licences obviously.

Larry S likes this.