Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 29, 2015

So 6 months ago on this past Friday (27th), I had a heart attack as many of you here know. Yes, 6 months really does fly by fast!

Just to give you a small update, my heart efficiency (ejection fraction) is in the normal range, even after a "medium" sized heart attack as the cardiologist called it. The recovery from that was a bit rough at times, and what made it worse were some changes to medications for my arthritis that were made after the actual heart attack. That more than anything restricted how much I could work every day, because a short time at the bench would have me either so tired or in so much pain, I really had to step away as I didn't want to damage anything when I wasn't on top of things like I usually am.

But a couple of months ago I started a new medication, and although I hesitate to call it a miracle drug, it is working very well, and I have not felt this good in probably 25 years (was diagnosed with this arthritis 30 years ago this year).

Part of getting back to normal is fitness, and since my heart was in good shape, brisk walking was not enough according to the folks at cardiac rehab. So my wife and I have been playing tennis (indoors!) every week for about 3-4 hours. So today we got home late this afternoon from a 2 hour long clinic, and I fired up the steam shower:

[​IMG]

We were in the process of renovating the en suite bath when I had the heart attack, and part of that was adding in the steam unit - it's great!

So today in a slightly delayed celebration, I cracked open a bottle of a 1997 vintage Vidal ice wine I have been saving:

[​IMG]

I bought this in 1997, so it has been stored for a while now, and it's turned from a pale straw colour to what you see here. This particular wine is often associated with the taste of apricots, but that has deepened over the years and now it is much more complex. This is longest I have let a bottle of this age, and it's fantastic!

So if you are able, please raise a glass with me. For those on here who have watches with me, I am now back working pretty much full time (but not much on weekend thanks!) and I hope to get my backlog cleared out soon. I appreciate your patience more than you can imagine.

Thanks to everyone here.

Cheers, Al

citizenrich, MrE, E-diddy and 57 others like this.
  2. lwong Mar 29, 2015

Cheers Al, I am glad to know things are going well for you. I haven't had the chance to deal with you personally, but your many informative posts have been immensely critical in my learning journey. Looking forward to more great things. And that is ridiculous aging for a wine!

Best,
    L

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 29, 2015

Excellent news Al - it really doesn't seem like it was six months ago. Wine raised as I type.

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 29, 2015

Great stuff Al. Keep well, and thanks for everything you do for this forum (and others)!

5. Wetworks Mar 29, 2015

Sorry I was not aware of your heart attack, I haven't been around much due to nursing school (5 more weeks to go!). However, I am very happy to hear that you are more than on the way to a full recovery and wish you continued, positive strides.:thumbsup:

6. Shem Mar 29, 2015

Raising a glass and my Speedy for you, Al. Congratulations on that wonderful icewine -- I'm a fan of Canadian and German icewines as well -- and I hope that you enjoy it in the best of health!

IMG_1600.jpg

JohnSteed, Archer and dougiedude like this.
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 29, 2015

Good news indeed!

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2015

Congrats mate!

btw Is it just me or does the shadow cast in the middle of that steam shower photo look suspicious? :coffee:

9. chadpowe11 Mar 29, 2015

Congrats Al that's great news! Keep well.

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 29, 2015

Congratulations Al. Here's to many more trouble-free decades!

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 29, 2015

Wow. Congratulations!! My first drink tonight will be a toast to you.

12. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 29, 2015

Congratulations and continued good health.

I'm sure you're aware of it but be careful of taking a steam after strenuous exercise.

13. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Mar 29, 2015

Time for celebration...

image.jpg

To your health, Al!

KCScott and oddboy like this.
  14. KIMBER Mar 29, 2015

Congratulations on your recovering. Good to hear your promising news. Keep up the good work. And cheers!

15. Hijak Mar 29, 2015

This is great to hear Al! You have covered some difficult terrain and worked hard in your recovery...time to celebrate...

Cheers...

16. proximal Mar 29, 2015

Really happy to hear that you are doing well!

17. M.D. Mar 29, 2015

This is very good news Al, so glad to hear you're doing well. And that steam shower looks amazing!

18. Wetworks Mar 29, 2015

I wasn't going to drink tonight, but I caved (with good reason). So, a scotch to you, Al! :cool:

19. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 29, 2015

Cheers, and glad to hear about your recovery!

20. ricardorio Mar 29, 2015

Great news!!! I am glad to hear you with many positive energy !!!