Forums Latest Members
  1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 8, 2015

This Zodiac Chronograph is being sent off to the watch maker to see if it can be rehab'ed. I have no idea if it would be worth saving. It was found eight years ago in the local pawn shop in a box of non-running cheap quartz and mechanical watches and $5.00 was paid for it.

It will run however the chronograph features do not work. I'd remembered it as having a stainless steel case until I dug it out recently, only to find that it's gold plated.

Does anyone have any idea when it was manufactured, what movement was used, or if pushers and crowns could be found and fitted? It may prove too deep a hole to be throwing money into.

Does anyone have any similar Zodiac Chronograph models, the photos of which they could share?

[​IMG]

If it can be successfully resurrected then we'll resurrect this thread and stick up some photos.

2. JohnSteed May 8, 2015

Looks like it would be Valjoux 723? One less counter than mine too...I'll get better info later on return to the lair....Should clean up great

I had my TDZ services last year and it took a while. Worth it!

image.jpg
    noelekal likes this.
  3. Hijak May 8, 2015

Would love to see some better pictures of this John...it looks very nice!:thumbsup:

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 8, 2015

Valjoux 7730, late 60s/early70s. Should be pretty easy to get the parts you need. The dial is correct. Pics when you have it back!

9AC4512B-4982-4C5D-9A1C-66F3294A23B6_zpshtlhp2mw.JPG
    image.jpg

Edited May 8, 2015
    Giff2577, micampe, JohnSteed and 2 others like this.
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 8, 2015

Yea guys! Thanks!

Nice to see some photos of similar Zodiac models and the dial treatments plus the movement as well.

If it proves worth restoring would y'all go so far as to relume it but leave the dial alone otherwise? I'm not so concerned with whether or not the lume works but the original lume is pretty dark and crusty.

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 8, 2015

I'd relume it all the way around because that's functional. Since the dial lume is dots, should be easy enough.

Tom

7. i20rider May 8, 2015

Not bad for $5 if you just look hard enough. You will be surprised at what you may come across.

Good find

Giff2577 and JohnSteed like this.
  8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 9, 2015

I'd leave the dial and hands as is, just get a service. Zodiac used a lot of different dial manufacturers during this period, I've seen several variations on this, some with "crosshair" logo, some like mine, without.

These are not worth huge money and the gold plating is not the best. I'd guess that your example will fetch ~$4-500 at the very most, even serviced. So keep that in mind vs. the cost to service and restore.

JohnSteed, lenny and noelekal like this.
  9. JohnSteed May 9, 2015

ONLY a service IMvHO.

Otherwise...What they said!!!

So, I'd ask myself if it's cost efficient to do anything. If I'm invested emotionally, that's already answered LoL

I don't know the $ value. But if you're really not a Zodiac OR chrono guy anything you do will come back to you!!! But you saw something there, right? Trust your gut feeling.

I'm thinking you want it. Sure U already know and we will find out, when you report back on what you've done. ;)

my 2 cents

10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 9, 2015

Thanks for the thoughts JohnSteed. I'm a "sorta" Zodiac guy, having some interest in the brand and some of the models. I wouldn't even mind going out a little too far on a limb in rehabilitation costs. I'd probably put black calf or buffalo strap on it and get a real kick out of wearing it from time to time, given the circumstances under which it was found and its languishing around here for some years.

11. JohnSteed May 9, 2015

Got it!