Forums Latest Members

A sad story involving a stolen watch

1. tempogen Mar 6, 2017

Hi guys and gals,

For the sake of conversation i'm sharing this story which I have shared in another forum before but what the heck, it seems i'm still very bitter.
    So, years ago, I was given a unique present : A limited edition Chopard LUC XP . it was quite funky, and almost exactly like the attached photo but "sensa" the diamonds and a different movement :
    Anyway, the dial was not to my taste so I took it to the Chopard store in the Printemps in Paris, and asked for a change of dial, I wanted a black dial and a black strap to match, making it an elegant dress watch, rather than what I like to call the bob marley dial.
    Chopard took their sweet time doing this, and would call me occasionally asking questions, for example they said they don't have a black dial, and if I was ok with a white dial with roman numerals, and I agreed.
    due to several force majeur style circumstances, I couldn't pass by to take my watch when it was finally ready, so I sent someone to pick it up as he was on his way to me.
    When I finally met him, and was absolutely itching to get my watch on my wrist finally, he said in his French accent :
    "I am sorry, I have some bad news, your watch was stolen " and I was at first like "haha really funny you got me, where tf is it ". then unfortunately it seems it was. He gave me the original green strap, and the bob marley dial, and it slowly sunk in. He left it in a hotel room in Tunisia, and apparently it was nicked there. I was of course absolutely fuming, but for other reasons I decided to give the man a break. I however made all the proper procedures to have this registered in the Chopard database as stolen, so that it would get flagged when anyone brings it to be serviced.

The info from Chopard Paris is that only 25 of these were made. it's white gold, and just a pleasing watch despite the propaganda.

I've waited for 6 years now, and every few months I ask chopard if it's still flagged. Yes it is, no there is no indication that anyone brought it.

HUGE SIGH

medium_269.jpg
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 6, 2017

3. tempogen Mar 6, 2017

4. Lukeeesteve Mar 6, 2017

I just hope it was insured.

Hopefully it pops up in future.

tempogen likes this.
  5. tempogen Mar 8, 2017

Nope :(

6. Maganator Mar 8, 2017

That's sad news. I take it you keep an eye on eBay to see if it pops up?

tempogen likes this.
  7. tempogen Mar 8, 2017

I just have this suspicion that it was sold as scrap. As for keeping an eye out on eBay, I never thought of it. As I never laid eyes on it as a finished watch - new dial & strap - and also, putting the serial number on listings is not common, I think it would only drive me crazy.... * goes to search eBay anyway *