Forums Latest Members
  1. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 11, 2012

Did anyone notice the recent sale of a 105.012 cal 321 in really awful cond. for $1360? I was stunned. The movement was very rusty and could need parts that one might never find. At the very least it would need several hundred in repairs. On top of that, the dial was a lost cause...even by my standards, and I like watches with "character." So I guess the case and some parts were the value. The bezel was actually better than the rest of the watch, though. It could be salvaged. I suppose sales like that should make those of us very happy with our nicer examples....and their values.
    Oh, and I forgot to mention it was sold from the Philippines by a buyer with limited feedback, and it had no hands.

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 11, 2012

S o o o, your saying you didn't buy the watch? :whistling:

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 11, 2012

Here's how it could make sense - case is in good shape including bezel - I would say that is worth $800. I agree dial, crap but might clean up a bit and be sold as a chocolate dial - let's say $75 to $100. Then there's the movement - piece of crap it's true but what if you use the part with the serial number and transplant that into another 321 from another omega? Or take the rose/copper plated parts that identify it as an omega and transplant those into a near identical tissot or lemania movement? So you see for the right collector with the right parts, it's not a totally unrealistic price.

4. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 11, 2012

HEY...was that a shot at my chocolate dial that I had cleaned? Mine really is brown...that one...I don't know. I thought that dial was too far gone for anything but refinishing, which is not a real option, to me. I agree the case and bezel are the best parts and worth some money, and I agree that in parts, it could be worth 1500, but to try to get it running as what it is....it would cost 4500 in the end, I bet. It's a shame to see one of those turned into a parts watch, but I see no other real future for that one.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 11, 2012

There was a BADLY redialed Seamaster Cal 321 that had a mint movement sold by the Salvation Army on eBay 6 weeks ago for $800, salvage the movement from the Seamaster, buy one of those Watchco Cal 321 Speedmaster dials with the applied logo for ~300 and you're into it ~2500 with a Seamaster case/dial and a wrecked movement to part out left over

6. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 12, 2012

And with the wide discrepancy in movement serial numbers....there would very likely be no strong evidence that the movement and case weren't original to one another. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

7. Dash1 Jul 12, 2012

Tempting though the 'fixer uppers' are sometimes, you usually end up spending the same as a decent example would have cost in the first place and you don't end up with a decent example!