Forums Latest Members

A retrospective. My first post.

1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 25, 2016

One post posters, uncle watches, trolls, we have seen our fair share. But there are also many who join and nurture a genuine interest and love for watches and stick around for a while.

With this in mind, I thought it would be fun to take a trip down memory lane.

Here's my first thread on Omega forums.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ega-omega-restoration-in-toronto.17552/

(Pro tip care of UncleBuck, search for posts by your handle, and keep going back by pressing the 'Find older messages' link.)

Let's see some good ones!

Edited Sep 25, 2016
    blubarb, aap, noelekal and 2 others like this.
  2. ulackfocus Sep 25, 2016

Man, it took a while to go all the way back through twenty one thousand posts. :p

My first was a simple & quick hello:

In this thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/a-dedicated-vintage-Ω-forum.138/

Got a tip from E about this place years ago. Still have 7,343 posts to go to tie how many I had at the other place.

aap, noelekal, Mad Dog and 3 others like this.
  3. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Sep 25, 2016

Mine was showing the waffle dial on my Constellation f300 (which I still think is quite possibly a redial, sigh) after I'd done some searching to find out more information about it.

Mad Dog and oddboy like this.
  4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Sep 25, 2016

Gawd. This is sort of embarrassing. My Speedmaster doesn't have a cal321.

At least I had set an avatar and checked in to the new members thread.

First post as a member:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/for-the-new-members-read.23288/page-3#post-314253

My impressions so far are very positive! Knowledgeable members, great forum software. I'll post my Speedmaster 321 shortly.

I like the seller and buyer feedback forum. Is there a watchmaker feedback thread? My experience with a local watchmaker hasn't been good...

Then I went on to compound my error with the title of my first thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/my-speedmaster-321-needs-a-refurb-input-sought.28155/

After having been participating in the forums for 13 months now my first impressions absolutely hold. This platform is a treasure. My sincere thanks for all the knowledge and camaraderie that has been so freely given and special thanks to the founders and moderators that created it and keep it the best watch forums on the internet.

noelekal, Mad Dog, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 25, 2016

Great thread!

First ever post? ..... or thread?

My first post, was (quite properly, me-thinks!) in the 'Great Big Introductions' thread two years ago:

I got a lot of very nice 'welcome' responses.

But probably the best response to my first post was this one:

The first thread I ever started, was an 'arrival' thread, my first watch purchased from our Private Sales forum:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/just-arrived-from-sausalito-58-seamaster.17656/

Just like a noob, I wanted a birth-year watch :rolleyes: ..:D

Edited Sep 25, 2016
    gostang9, Jking, aap and 4 others like this.
  6. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Sep 25, 2016

My first. Almost two years ago to the day. Not a dead uncle gift, but a classic....."Look what I did. Tell me if I did good" post. Not sure what drives noobs to want to "do it themselves" but I was certainly afflicted with that particular instinct. The subsequent thread was full of great help and feedback from many of our regulars although you can see I was not yet certain how to handle jokes, directness and the general culture of OF. I am especially embarrassed about what I referred to as "my watchmaker" who was basically a low rent jeweler who no doubt specializes in changing batteries. I still have the Speedie.......but have had at least 100 chances to buy a better one at a better price through OF members alone!

Hi All. Pretty new to the world of watches and very new to the world of Omega. Have been reading and studying a ton but........

Would love this group's opinion on the eBay watch linked below. Curious as to its authenticity, originality and overall correctness. It looks good to me -- I can see obvious markings on case, movement and bezel and the price appears right, but as I said......I'm just getting started. No idea how to pot more nuanced issues or clever fakes. Seller has perfect credentials and states everything to be pretty much original/authentic.

You will quickly notice the watch is showing as "SOLD". That's me. However, I have communicated with the seller and he knows I am holding him to the strictest interpretation of his description, which again goes back to nearly everything being 100% original/authentic.

Any and all thoughts are welcome. Please don't hold back because I am half-way pregnant. Thank you.

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
    blubarb, Mad Dog and oddboy like this.
  7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 25, 2016

My first post.... a brief introduction and a $0.01 deposit for the goodwill bank.

Followed by a typical "newbie seeking advice" post - $100 withdrawal from said bank.

Fortunately, Dennis & Steve were kind enough to extend me credit.

So the rest of you prats have them to "thank" for my continued presence.::stirthepot::

blubarb, Mad Dog, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  8. tyrantlizardrex Sep 25, 2016

I wanted to know about redials... the shame.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/to-reface-or-not-to-reface.2536/

9. ulackfocus Sep 25, 2016

Looks like I was my usual curt self when it comes to redials. :p

10. Mothra Sep 25, 2016

Wow. When I read this I misread 'curt' initially, and was sat there thinking 'Dennis can be firm, but that's pretty harsh on himself'. On rereading, I think it's fair...

Syrte, Davidt, Mad Dog and 6 others like this.
  11. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 25, 2016

I started with this https://omegaforums.net/threads/fathers-watch-es.25540/ just over a year ago. It may have had what in retrospect might be an "unfortunate" title, but at least I wasn't looking for a valuation or trying an underhand sales attempt....and the pictures are OKish :rolleyes:

I had a much less threatening avatar then as well ;)

Mouse avatar.jpg

12. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 25, 2016

This was mine from 08 December 2012 (and I still haven't got round to making that part)

Good evening All (well it is here in the UK)

Firstly thanks to Chris for sending me here - now I know where all the WUS refugees lurk.

For me, the grail is a gold 71 Chronometre. Whilst I have formulated a wish list, I have also decided on a plan. From a collection/investment perspective, a gold version is the best outcome and I have decided to "bank" the items on my wanted list and then upgrade from there. Hence my recent acquisition of a steel 71 with, what can only be described as an interesting second hand. My problem is that I can't bring myself to sell a watch (well the 1997 quartz Breitling may prove the exception here)

Another example is a broken 133.8 Chronometre I picked up as a "project watch". As soon as I bought a NOS balance (an obsolete part) and a donor "Frankenbumper" I found a gold 133,8 Chronometre in reasonable condition - well it had to be done.

As you can see, I have a bit of a "thing" for the bumpers and a lot of the ones you see have a problem with the running of the oscillating weight that leads to scoring of the weight from one of the winding wheels. My next purchases will be one of the service weights so that I can examine a new bearing and a watchmaker's lathe so that I can try to make the obsolete part - watch this space.

13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 25, 2016

I was going to fix up and sell my old watch that I had bought while in the Army and hit the internet searching for a value. I came across this forum and made my first post.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/help-with-seamaster-soccer-145-020-bracelet-service.2362/#post-26643

A fine English gentleman @SpikiSpikester, and later on Dennis and others, slowed my roll and were most helpful.
    I stayed, learned enough to keep it and now have a great hobby with friends all over the world.

My old watch now.

IMGP4062-1.jpg

14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 25, 2016

Sep 23, 2012. Started by introducing the 2 Omegas in my collection. Four years later, I still don't know much about Omega.

SpikiSpikester, khmt2, Syrte and 14 others like this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 25, 2016

November 7 2012

My first post was a bit lame

So in my second I tried to get a bit more watchified

noelekal, ahartfie, oddboy and 5 others like this.
  16. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Sep 25, 2016

Nothing special here, posted after I bought my ploprof last October...and the ploprof and this forum changed my collection.

After years and years of admiring the PloProf, I happened upon this gem on ebay Saturday night. A one owner, all original example with a great provenance from an IMCA member. Needless to say, I am thrilled with the watch which makes it a lot easier to sell a few pieces to make room for this beast! Apologies for the poor pics.

ahartfie, oddboy, Darlinboy and 2 others like this.
  17. ulackfocus Sep 25, 2016

If that was the Instagram watch, I gotta tell you I giggled to myself when installing your custom avatar message after your post about your wife busting you.

EDIT: looking at this thread makes me realize I did almost all of the custom avatar messages for members who have posted so far with the exception of 2. Ash / dsio did those, and one of them might never be beat for the perfect comedic nature.

ahartfie and oddboy like this.
  18. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Sep 25, 2016

No, it was not. The Instagram watch was the BT...I am still chuckling about it too.

19. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Sep 25, 2016

Back on September 4, 2014 I pontificated as usual.

Hi y'all.

Have been casting about for a nice watch forum so as to add to both enjoyment and understanding of collecting vintage watches. This one looks just right featuring brands I admire and would wish to collect.

A number of watches live around here with a collection of both trash and some few treasures. The favorite brands are Longines, Omega, IWC, and Zenith, in that order I suppose. Other brands are on hand too, collected on a whim. Glycine is one of those with four having been gathered in. The 1945-1970 time period is most esteemed with styles and models from the late '40s to about 1960 being particularly admired. Not a whole lot of careful thought was put into some watch acquisitions over the years so some of the watches are "barkin' dogs," redials, maybe even franken-watches. I can learn though.

Amateur photos have been collected of some watches and can be shared in future. I won't have much time to participate in the forum until later in the fall as we're about to be away on vacation for a few weeks. Who knows; perhaps a watch find will turn up while on the trip.

Other hobbies include reading and collecting antiquarian books, shooting sports and firearms collecting, and coin collecting. Oh, forgot an ongoing effort to collect all the different 20th century Gillette double-edge razor models. Love music, both playing instruments and listening. Classic rock and classical vie for playing time around the house here and the stereo is on far more than the television.

I'm grateful this forum is provided and appreciate reading all the forum thread participation.

ahartfie, UncleBuck, oddboy and 2 others like this.
  20. marturx Sep 26, 2016

Even if it was in the wrong sector, at least I did a proper introduction of myself

May 7, 2013

SteveB, khmt2, Syrte and 5 others like this.