Forums Latest Members
  1. mac_omega Aug 6, 2014

I know there is a state institution in the United States which prosecutes fraud in the internet. Which government agency is responsible for the prosecution of fraud in the internet? Where can I bring an accusation? For information, I would be very grateful.

thanks in advance

Erich

2. Lex4TDI4Life Aug 6, 2014

I am loathe to give legal advice, but I can tell you that the answer is "it depends". For the most part, criminal fraud is prosecuted through each individual state and not a national level. The first question I would ask you is: what state does your fraudster live in?

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 6, 2014

Hi Erich,
    Wish you were asking about a nice watch or something more pleasant!
    On a National level, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has a fraud department and I believe there may be an on-line form.
    On a State level, there is usually an Interstate Commerce Commission and all would have an Attorneys General Dept. that would be able to help.
    Also, the individual State's Better Business Bureau can serve as intermediary and provide local advice.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation and it's partner, the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) will also listen, but I'm not sure how effectively.

4. ulackfocus Aug 6, 2014

Buck - the BBB is nothing more than a club with membership dues.

Erich: each state has their own Attorney General's Division / Bureau. Is it a business or a private person?

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 6, 2014

Unfortunately, the US, the states, and local governments are very haphazard in dealing with internet crime and fraud. A lot of that comes from the fact that relevant laws have not been updated to deal with e-commerce.

If you were living here, I would suggested starting with the offices of local political representatives (mayor, councilmen, member of Congress). They have people who could direct you to the proper authorities based on the nature of the incident.

As a foreigner, I would have no idea what to advise. Maybe contact your country's consulate here in the US and ask their advice.

Hope this all works out for you.
    gatorcpa

6. JohnSteed Aug 6, 2014

I would suggest, first, your local police....

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 6, 2014

Dennis, in Missouri the BBB serve as mediators and have decent connections with the Attorney General and local authorities, you're right, they have no teeth, but at least they will listen and make suggestions..

The FBI and IC3 have teeth, but won't be bothered unless it'll make the news.

8. 124watchfan Aug 6, 2014

If the fraud was done via us mail the post office is pretty decent about investigating otherwise you're pretty much out of luck.

9. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 7, 2014

Yes - unfortunately, individuals who commit fraud over the internet are difficult to persecute in the US.

10. mac_omega Aug 7, 2014

Seller lives in the state of N.Y. and is a business seller - if this helps for further advise

Thank you so far to those who tried to help yet.

More thoughts much appreciated!

thanks

Erich

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 7, 2014

SpikiSpikester and ulackfocus like this.
  12. mac_omega Aug 8, 2014

13. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 8, 2014

I second this. Albany (our state Capitol) takes cases of "cyber crime" very seriously.

If you have reason to believe that the person you're after has any relation to New York City, then I can put you directly in touch with a detective from the bureau which handles computer crime and identity theft. Shoot me a PM ( only for NYC!).

Otherwise, the New York State Police also have a surprisingly large and effective Computer Crimes Unit. http://www.troopers.ny.gov/Criminal_Investigation/Computer_Crimes/

New York is a global financial center and takes all financial crime (computer or otherwise), very seriously.