Forums Latest Members

SOLD A (relatively large) Vintage Mido Super-Automatic Extra w/two-tone Dial

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 16, 2021

I'm going to stray a bit from my usual comprehensive FS postings, and keep this one simple. The reasons for this are that I am rather busy at the moment, and also that I would prefer not to catalyze too much interest in vintage Mido :D.

The only reason that Mido remains somewhat under the radar in the vintage market, I would argue, is that during the company's Golden Era (from the '40s to around 1960), their wristwatches rarely exceeded 34mm, and a large majority were between 30-32mm. So in the contemporary market, a good percentage of collectors simply cross the company off of their lists, as they prefer larger cases.

But for those of us who are comfortable wearing smaller (by today's standards) vintage watches, Mido is very attractive, and for a number of reasons. They were one of, if not the first manufacturer to adopt the Taubert (often called Borgel) cases, and use them for most of their models. These were among the very best cases produced during the first half of the 20th century, which is why Patek Philippe, Movado, and other fine manufactures chose to employ them as well.

I would also suggest that Mido produced among the very best, and most interesting array of radium dials of any manufacturer.

So, with that brief background, I offer a nice example of a Super-Automatic Extra bumper from the mid/late '40s. It measures 33.7mm, and keep in mind that, amusingly, one might even say that these ~34mm examples were oversized for the time, as many of the watches worn by men during the period were between 30-33mm.

[​IMG]

The unpolished, steel screw back case is conservatively in very good condition, with only a couple of notable, small scratches on the back. The mid case is vertically brushed, and contrasts very nicely with the upper and back. It is a Taubert/Borgel case, but reads "BRIT. PAT." (i.e. the British Taubert patent) on the inside, as many did at the time. The signature decagonal (i.e. 10-sided) back screws in and out very smoothly, and especially for its age.

The radium dial is an attractive, and somewhat uncommon variation, as it features an eye-catching, and very clean white outer minute/second track. The inner part of the dial is very good, but does show a few small marks, which to my eye are fairly trivial. The original radium is fully intact both on the dial and in the hands. The second-hand shows plenty of oxidation, but looks fine, in my view, as it has darkened to match the hour and minute hand well.

The 17 jewel cal. 817 bumper is working, but would surely benefit from a service, should the new owner choose to wear the watch on a regular basis. It was originally adjusted to three positions, which may have been one of the variables that set the "EXTRA" version of this model apart.

I ask $400 (or EURO equivalent) for this nice Mido. PayPal or bank transfer accepted. Free, tracked shipping, and EMS express always available at additional cost.

If you are in the U.S., note that shipments may take longer than usual to arrive, as Customs and the USPS continue to be erratic.

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ted1858, Vitezi, Spacefruit and 23 others like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 16, 2021

OHPF!

aap likes this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 16, 2021

How did I miss this? Damn!
    Congrats to buyer and seller. :thumbsup:

Tony C. likes this.
  4. YYTIN Jun 17, 2021

Really Nice... I regret to have missed this one and I do agree : it is an oversized one ;)
    Congrats !

Tony C. likes this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 17, 2021

Sold! Thanks to the buyer – a good regular customer – and the OF staff!

6. cineaste Jun 17, 2021

Not only you have great taste but your watches are always in top notch condition. Congrats!