Forums Latest Members

A redial, sadly, but very cool

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 9, 2017

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 9, 2017

The watch is a "Hastings" model from 1952.

http://www.vintagewatchresources.com/detail.php?watch_id=10

Redial is at least close to original.

If price stays at this level, it is a bargain for an 18K watch with fancy lugs.

Seller's ridiculous descriptions make me nervous.

Still, not bad buy for $400 or less.
    gatorcpa

Deafboy, Jwit and Syrte like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 9, 2017

The work is dammed good

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 9, 2017

You mean because the fancy lugs add more weight?
    Or because the design makes it more unusual?

Edit/ add- is it just me, or is the watch now on auction exactly the one featured on the web site below? The subdial markers which are slightly off seem exactly the same as far as I can tell....

Edited Feb 9, 2017
  5. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Feb 9, 2017

Can the Longines WIS here school me on how you spotted the redial on this piece? Is it because it is "different" from the original, or because some of the redial job is clearly visible? I can't see anything "obvious" at first sight, but then again I know zero about the original... thanks guys and girls :)

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 9, 2017

The indexes on the subdial are the definite givaway sign, as they're all over the place with no symetry. That shouldn't happen on an original dial of a top tier brand from that era-- at least not Longines.
    Another sure sign is the shape of the "S" in the "Longines" dial signature.

I'm not a "WIS", I'm a WII ("watch-idiot-ignorant) though.

Edited Feb 9, 2017
    Deafboy, Lonestar and Larry S like this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 9, 2017

Subdial inconsistency is always a dead giveaway for me. Still for someone looking for a daily wear watch, it's nice.

8. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Feb 9, 2017

Thanks @Syrte - a bit of a challenge for me to spot the index postion inconsistencies on these pics. I need to train my eyes more it seems!

edit: I get it now - sub-dial indices. Ha, for sure, yes :eek:. Kicking myself for making a fool of myself in public!

Syrte likes this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 9, 2017

Center your eye and then look for off center sub dial, odd spacing, gaps between printing and outer edge of the subdial. Then there is smudged or inconsistent weight, wrong fonts etc.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 9, 2017

You are all correct. I'll add that the "Swiss" is too high up on the dial.

If you look at the link I posted earlier, there is a very small photo on the bottom of the page of a Hastings with an original dial.

Can't reproduce or edit that picture here, but those with mobile phones should be able to blow it up in your screen.

Despite all the flaws mentioned, still pretty good effort to duplicate the original dial.

Value is based on estimated 18K melt plus a small premium for box and papers, movement and style.
    gatorcpa

Syrte likes this.
  11. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Feb 9, 2017

It's a very nice watch, despite the imperfections in the redial.

Syrte likes this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 9, 2017

The photo at the bottom of the page you linked looks like the same redialed example. Is it just me?

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 9, 2017

Look at the subdial. Not the same.

But now you understand my comment that the redial is a very good one despite the small flaws.

gatorcpa

Syrte likes this.
  14. Faz Feb 9, 2017

I would buy this watch simply for the virtue of it über cool case. I don't see that the dial detracts from the overall look of this particular watch. If it's to wear I say go. To add as part of a collection? Maybe not..

Syrte likes this.
  15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 9, 2017

Totally agree on the "uber-cool"-ness.... I like it a lot (hence the post) but not planning on bidding so if anyone would like to, be my guest.

16. argonbeam Feb 11, 2017

Not a ton of 18K American-cased Longines from this period, so that in and of itself is kind of nice. For an 18K rectangular watch with in-house movement, not a bad price, even with redial. A current JLC Reverso in 18K costs :eek:. I prefer original dials, even with some patina, but finding a nice original dial from this time period is near impossible. I own quite a few Longines from this era, most intended for the American market (with the LXW movement marking), and the casework on most of them is snapback without any real attempt at sealing from the elements, and the dials on most show some sign of moisture exposure, even if just mild forearm sweat over the years.

gatorcpa and Deafboy like this.
  17. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Feb 11, 2017

I have purchased from this seller before and had no problems. Stinks its a redial though

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 11, 2017

Nintendo?....... ::rimshot::

Sorry.... couldnt resist :p

Syrte likes this.
  19. corn18 Feb 11, 2017

This picture seems to make it easier to see the subdial inconsistencies.

[​IMG]

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 11, 2017

I was able to make a blow up of the Vintage Watch Resources example, which I believe to be original, for comparison.

Capture.JPG

Not the greatest picture, but you can see how close the redial is to the original.
    gatorcpa