Forums Latest Members
  1. Ash001 Mar 30, 2017

Hi there.

So I've just joined up and have been a bit of a watch fanatic for many years but never been able to afford anything swiss. I'm now looking to buy my first omega sometime soon. But I can't afford new. I like many am interested in a vintage piece to start with. So this green faced seamaster came up on eBay. The colour of the day date dial suggests it's quite original but I'm a bit concerned about having not seen that colour of dial before. Could it be it's been redialed in an attractive non original colour? Or could it be it's just a rarer option? Any thoughts much appreciated. Either way I'm just trying to get advice at the moment.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Ash.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/201837195640Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 30, 2017

I think its a redial. See how the minute track gets into the T SWISS MADE T ?

Bumper likes this.
  3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 30, 2017

If it were an original dial there would be lume dots at the tips of the indices, assuming the original was also marked with T SWISS MADE T.

4. wsfarrell Mar 30, 2017

The "Tue" in the date window is atilt as well; this watch has problems.

5. No Mercy Mar 30, 2017

I think it is redialed - The minute track is overlaped the S on "T Swiss Made T"

6. Ash001 Mar 30, 2017

What indicates the presence of the lume dots? Just for future knowledge is it a seamaster thing? Is it an indices thing? Just wondering when I should be looking for this in future?

Thanks,

Ash.

7. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Mar 30, 2017

The "T SWISS MADE T" indicates that luminous material was used, and the material used was tritium. Normally this would have included both lume on the hands and also some form of luminous dots at the indices. It's just about conceivable to have lumed hands and no lume at the markers. To have non-lumed hands and lume at the markers is logically and practically a no-no.

Virtually all lumed watches have both lumed hands and markers, The example you showed lacks lume at the hour markers and is either a complete outlier or has been redialled/refinished/refurbished (call it what you will).

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 30, 2017

Stick around and watch the for sale listings. You did right by questioning this watch.

9. Ash001 Mar 30, 2017

Thanks that's very interesting. I'll bear this in mind when looking at watches in future. So I'm guessing swiss made is the standard designation and then the version with the T's added for the lume. Are there are other alternatives?

10. Ash001 Mar 30, 2017

Thanks. If I was buying it I'd be meeting the seller in person. But not without more knowledge than I currently I have. I now know it would've been a mistake even wasting the money to travel to London to look at it. I think I'll shop here when the time is right. But I'll still scan eBay if nothing else to test myself on spotting the redials and frankens.

Thanks.

Larry S likes this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 30, 2017

Pretty colour, shame about the glaring mistakes.

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 30, 2017

Blargh!

Screenshot_20170330-221810.png

Larry S likes this.
  13. Ash001 Mar 31, 2017

[​IMG]

Now then. I feel like this one may be original. Possibly. But I am questioning a couple of things here. The indices at the 6 o' clock position. Is the end of it encroaching on the Swiss made text too much? And should the Swiss made have T's due to the presence of the lume instead of dashes? Do any have dashes instead? The other thing I've noticed. The logo, this changed at some point? For the thinner fonted logo? As seen on the forum thumb nails. This watch appears to have the modern version. Might this be incorrect for this era?

Any thoughts are very welcome. Just trying to develop my appraising skills.

Thanks,

Ash.

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 31, 2017

Photos like that are about as useful as ones like this.

TinyOmegaShot.jpg

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 31, 2017

The point I'm making is that analysis and deductions are much easier when a good photo is supplied.

Here is one I just shot, It's loaded to the forum and not linked so it'll be here when hosting sites lose shots or just vanish.

The size also allows people to click on the image and see actual size for comparison of fonts, markers, blemishes etc.

Omega_Example.JPG

16. Ash001 Mar 31, 2017

Okay thats fair enough. I do apologise. In my defense I wasn't the one holding the camera. It's taken from an eBay listing. I'd rather learn these things before making a purchase not after!

Here's a link to the listing. I feel it's better quality looking at it on the site. But agreed still not fantastic.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/262710826414Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

17. Edward53 Mar 31, 2017

You need to download the image and post it on here. That's the only way everyone can look at it properly. Of course they could always download it themselves, blow it up and have a good look, but realistically nobody is going to bother doing that on a new poster's behalf. Not getting at you here, just pointing something out.

18. Ash001 Mar 31, 2017

No that's absolutely fine. I apologise. I'm quite new to the hobby and to be honest forum use in general. Thank you for pointing this out. I'm only using a smart phone and I'm struggling to get it to download and upload well but I'll hold off posting images going forward unless I can do it effectively.

Thanks for the advice.

19. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 31, 2017

In the new example we find just the opposite. Lume at the hands and indices but no T SWISS MADE T. I will defer to the more learned as to when the "T" designation ceased to be used and if that is applicable in this case. One thing to remember when doing detective work with Omega watches is, there are exception to every rule.