Forums Latest Members
  1. JonW Plongeur Professionnel de Bureaux Mar 18, 2012

I just thought i should say a quick hello as Ashley has asked me to stop in and add a little value where I can to what looks like a great Omega forum. :)

I recognise some of you guys from other forums and others may already know me me as part of the duo that brings you the DeskDivers.com and PloProf.com websites and also as the author of the Omega PloProf 600 book....and I guess there may be one of two who have heard me speak about vintage sports Omegas at Nick Hacko's evenings in Sydney, where i am based. In fact we have another of those evenings coming up on 3rd May of anyone is interested they should contact Nick as he deals with the reservations.

I also write for Omega Lifetime Magazine and my own website has a list of the issues ive written for, including the current and next issues. That magazine is available in Omega Boutqiues and some ADs, but you may have to ask as some seem to think its a secret publication or something LOL!

Obviously I am an Omega centric guy but have also collected many many watches over the years and am happy to compare and contrast honestly where i can, sometimes Omega isnt always the best, but luckily that is not very often when it comes to the sweet spot of the 1970s. Phew! :D

And yes... I'm not one of those guys who will write off quartz as souless; in fact some of the 70s early quartz and hummers (and others) were beautifully made and are well worth talking about and, even, collecting. Old boring 'mechanical only' collectors may scoff, but I can say they have never actually looked at an early quartz or wondered at why they came about.Give me half an hour and I reckon I could convert even the most adamant collector... :D

So there you go, an introduction and a stab at 'non quartz' collectors... id best put a flame suit on! haha :D

Trev likes this.
  2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 18, 2012

Great to have you here on ΩF, Jon. Welcome! :thumbsup:

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2012

Welcome Jon, ya a few of us are fans of the MegaQuartz among others, 2.4Mhz accuracy is worth more than a soul.

4. JonW Plongeur Professionnel de Bureaux Mar 18, 2012

Thanks guys!

Haha, well I own a few MQ 2.4s including a prototype, I had to pass on a few family souls to grab that one... just dont tell them!

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2012

One of the main reasons I messaged you was the pieces like this:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/older-seamaster.570/

We're getting a really nice number of barn-find watches turn up owned by either original owners or inherited, many Seamasters and Constallations but just recently we've had a Ranchero, a Soccer Timer, and a few people looking at Railmasters and other non-dress non-speedy sports models like that. IMO thats the best part of having that vintage forum, we get to see the untouched original pieces before the dealers get their hands on them.

6. ulackfocus Mar 18, 2012

Hi Jon. Nice to have another vintage guy around. :thumbsup:

7. JonW Plongeur Professionnel de Bureaux Mar 18, 2012

Ive added my 2c to that post. Looks like a superb find and shows they are still out there :) I just hope people continue to service and enjoy watches like that, they are for wearing not sitting in boxes. :)

8. JonW Plongeur Professionnel de Bureaux Mar 18, 2012

Thanks ulackfocus, Gotta love the vintage, I find modern way too sterile, but that's not to say i dont also own a few of course... I really must cut down my collection! Eeek! :D

9. ulackfocus Mar 18, 2012

Same here - about a half dozen modern pieces and the rest vintage.

Mmmm hmmm. I say the same thing all the time - and never do anything about it. :p

BTW, ulackfocus or ULF is fine, but you can call me Dennis.

10. JonW Plongeur Professionnel de Bureaux Mar 18, 2012

haha, too funny :)

Cool, Dennis it is!

11. ulackfocus Mar 18, 2012

I was just going to ask what you planned on using for an avatar but I see it now. :thumbsup:

12. JonW Plongeur Professionnel de Bureaux Mar 18, 2012

I ummed and ahhed as I have a lot of nice Omega photos, but its the one thing most people know me for so it made the most sense... LOL

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2012

Speaking of, what's the ballpark going rate these days for a wearable but not mint hockey puck with e minimal amount of dings in it? Its really frustrating trying to track PloProfs, FlightMasters and even Cal 321 Speedmasters on eBay at the moment, with spreads of 5k-12k on the ploprofs and even wilder numbers on Speedmasters.

14. JonW Plongeur Professionnel de Bureaux Mar 18, 2012

you lost me m8... Im not sure what you mean by Hockey Puck? Ive only heard that reference for the Seiko Pro Divers and cant think of an Omega that looks like one?

The vintage market (not just Omega) is a bit wayward right now as investors unloaded a bunch of watches when the market dropped as the recession hit, so the prices came down, but then some people asked a lot and some still sold... its a funny market. there are bargains out there and of course the selling has meant some rare beasts have surfaced as well. I bought this Accutron recently, when did anyone last see an original one of these I wonder?

[​IMG]

how big is it you ask? And why isnt there Omega content to this post? Er... two birds, one stone... LOL

[​IMG]

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2012

Sorry, was talking about the Ploprof 600, I've never played hockey so I'm not overly familiar with the size or shape :p

16. ulackfocus Mar 18, 2012

That Accutron is another piece to add to my "watches I don't want to get beaned in the head with" list - just on mass alone. :eek:

17. ulackfocus Mar 18, 2012

A hockey puck is roughly the size and weight of an Invicta SubAquaNoma. :D

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2012

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up

PS Flyer's suck =D

19. ulackfocus Mar 18, 2012

Them's fightin' words! [​IMG] Black & Orange rule!!! :p

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2012

75.jpg

Two things the Flyers and Ploprof have in common, they were both at their peak in 1975 ::rimshot::

OddSpeedy likes this.