Forums Latest Members

A question regarding fair value of a ref 2782 / 2799

1. Dr No May 30, 2014

A yellow gold 18 kt ref 2782 / 2799 without original dial and crown is available locally. Condition is good, no box / papers. Estimate of fair market value, please.

I'm not familiar with the posting guidelines on Omega Forums, so if price discussion is disallowed, answers via private message would be equally appreciated.

Here's an image of the reference . . .

Collection.jpg
    [watch and image credit: Andrew]

. . . but not the actual watch under consideration.

Thanks,

Art

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 30, 2014

Art,
    We are friendly gentlemen at a pub, any courteous conversation is accepted, especially with some humo(u)r!
    I was wondering if the dial was repainted or if a good dial mated to the wrong case?
    I'm just trying to add up the value of all the pieces..

3. ulackfocus May 30, 2014

You can discuss anything you want here, including blatant hijacking. It's all good!

4. Dr No May 30, 2014

The watch in question has a dial, but refinished, and the movement matches the case. The owner acknowledges having the crown replaced. He's not an Omega collector, and wasn't aware of the effect on its value. He's in denial about the dial, though - he feels it's original.

Unfortunately, I don't have images to share, and likely won't for days to come. My recollection of the case is that it's in overall good condition, but if you can stretch your findings to fair and excellent and any shade in between, those estimates would be welcome, too!

Art

5. Dr No May 30, 2014

Ah, so that's why everybody hangs out here!

:)

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 30, 2014

Sounds like we may be down to case and movement value, unless we can find someone who needs specific parts.

Thank goodness it's 18k.

Assuming fair condition, it's somewhat a working, correct movement and an 18k case (not dial), we have to be at $500-800 parts/scrap value, don't we?
    If the case and movement were good and collectable, couldn't we double to perhaps $1k-1.5k?

It's hard to tell what you don't see when you can't see.

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 30, 2014

Sorry, f****d up. (rum night!)

8. Dr No May 30, 2014

That's precisely what I thought; my offer was $1500. Glad to know my sense of the market isn't too far off kilter. (Yes, the dial is not gold.)

Here's the back story: I first saw this Connie three years ago at a pawnshop. I acquired another Omega from the owner, but never forgot the Connie. Just a few days ago, I found an original dial for sale. Not sure if it's from a 2648 or a 2782/2799; my impression is those two references are sized differently, so acquiring the dial will be a gamble in and of itself. If the dial fits, though, I would like to acquire the watch; even though the dial wouldn't be original to the watch, it would be original to the reference, so I wouldn't feel uncomfortable wearing it.

As of our last conversation, the owner wants more than $1500. I'm not averse to paying a premium, but there are limits to everything.

Thanks much for your insight!

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 30, 2014

Case ref. 2648 takes a 29mm dial while 2782/2799 take a 27mm dial. That should help you decide whether the dial will fit or not.

10. Dr No May 30, 2014

Thanks for the dimensions, Mike - that should eliminate any risk on my part.

Art

11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 30, 2014

Omega fitted a range of dials to an array of watches at the factory.
    I have total respect for a marriage of correct parts, joined later in their lives, feeling that their union could have just as easily happened in Bienne.
    Obviously not as desirable as pristine original, but I would not hesitate to call, and to own, as a collectable.

12. Dr No May 30, 2014

Agreed. For commonplace references, the exertion might not be worth the effort, but chronometers are another story altogether.

UncleBuck likes this.