Forums Latest Members
  1. burlycoots Aug 20, 2018

Hello all,

I have been lurking about various online vintage Omega sellers and have come to realize that I have a fondness for Constellations (originally focused on Seamasters).

I found a seller here that is offering this: https://omegaforums.net/threads/1967-omega-constellation-ref-168-018-ss-case-cal-564-serviced.80749/

I've also found this: https://www.chrono24.com/omega/cons...atch-712-automatic-chronometer--id8783675.htm

Now I know that the polished case from the Chrono24 seller is a big no-no for many, but if I'm being honest, I don't have an issue with a polished case. Blasphemy, I know, but the truth will set you free, right? Anyway, while I do like the Chrono24 specimen, I don't see many with the 712 movement very often; the thinness of the case is appealing. Would anyone caution away from the 712 movement? I've not found a lot of info about it good/bad or otherwise, I can just see that it wasn't terribly popular. Additionally, there's no mention of recent service and from a layperson's perspective, there looks to be a lot of crud in the caseback and movement. This doesn't seem like it'd be very healthful.

As for No Mercy's offering, I do like that it has passed through the hands of someone who appears to know what the heck they're doing and shows evidence of solid operation. Date is a bonus. I don't see any reason why not to go with the private sale other than having a preference for a thinner watch.

Your recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

2. bieb1 Aug 20, 2018

If this your first vintage/Omega and the start of a hobby, you may at some point want to sell it on. At that point the condition and originality will become a key determinant of the price you will get back. So nothing wrong with polished cases or replaced hands etc., just that they impact the price and, once you get the bug and start looking at many other pieces, it may start to bother you. Other than that, buy a watch that you really like so you will wear it a lot and “buy the seller” before buying any watch (eg make sure your seller is reputable, with good references and a return policy). Chrono24 is a general commercial watch site, so do not automatically assume that their references are as good as what you get via the forum here.

As for the originality of what you are looking at, I am sure the Constellation experts will chime in soon.

Good luck with the choice and/or hunt...

3. burlycoots Aug 20, 2018

Thanks for the advice; this is my first and I don't really have plans to start buying/selling. I'd just like to have something handsome to wear and enjoy. I can't imagine that this will become a classic moreso than it already has become so I just plan on keeping it. I might add to the collection eventually as I have three sons and it would be nice to have something to hand down when I turn to ashes. However, I might pick a few newer models just so that they don't get a freaking 80-90 year old watch that has become too fragile to wear! This one would be for me.

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 20, 2018

If you haven't already read Desmond's blog, you should before making a purchase.

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

These 712s are not only thinner but also about 2mm smaller than your typical Constellation.

Chrono24 watch is overpriced, you should be able to find a nearly perfect one for that kind of money.

connieseamaster likes this.
  5. burlycoots Aug 20, 2018

I read Desmond's blog and the two PDFs that describe the finer details of the various characteristics of the dials, evidence of redials, etc. Very good read.
    Your statement about pricing seems reasonable; buying anything from that site seems to come at a premium. However as I'm not near any major city, my options are not great, that's why I occasionally search there.
    Thanks!

6. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Aug 20, 2018

At that price, you can't go wrong with the watch from the ΩF seller. Of the two watches you mention, I would also think it has the highest collector value with the classic 564 caliber.

7. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 20, 2018

Nice sharp lugs and lovely dial too.

BenBagbag likes this.