Forums Latest Members

A question for New-Yorkers

1. Faz Dec 28, 2016

I want to offer a bottle of booze to somebody. Can you have booze shipped with state lines in NY?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 28, 2016

Yes I believe so, depends on a few things. PM me the exact situation and I can help you.

3. Faz Dec 28, 2016

My typing is bad..

.yes.. that's what I want to do...order it from a local retailer and have it delivered

4. ulackfocus Dec 28, 2016

If ordered from a NY state retailer they should be allowed to ship anywhere within NY state. It's getting trickier to ship to other states now though, and don't try shipping any kind of alcohol if you aren't licensed!

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 28, 2016

NY is a little easier then most to ship to. That being said if you do it for business you need to know what your doing. There are local laws, federal laws, and laws at the location your shipping too to deal with. Recommendations sent to the OP.

6. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 28, 2016

Just say the package contains an assault rifle - problem solved ... ;)

watchknut, Syrte, MikiJ and 3 others like this.
  7. Saber333 Dec 28, 2016

Edit: My info was out of date. Disregard and listed to those more well-informed below.

Edited Dec 28, 2016
  8. ulackfocus Dec 28, 2016

That's changing. UPS stopped delivering alcohol to many states - even sending back packages that were in route already.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134697&hilit=UPS

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 28, 2016

My understanding was that it;s actually mostly due to signature requirements ie lack thereof. Now in the case of the linked post, there is alot of missing info, I know many small shops esp in wine are lax on the rules as they do not do a large amount of shipping business. If this shop tried to send to one of the states that is a no no it would have been stopped. As for the larger signature issue, there are carriers that have adult signature options, and the few shops I personally know that ship to most states use them and not USPS or UPS. I've not heard of any shop using UPS for booze shipments for years.

https://www.hitimewine.net/shipping-rates/
    These details are up to date.

Now private party liquor shipments are another deal entirely. And then wine and beer have another set of rules.

Edited Dec 28, 2016
    ulackfocus likes this.
  10. Saber333 Dec 28, 2016

11. Faz Dec 28, 2016

I drink to that gentlemen...

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 28, 2016

Being enforced is up to a lot of factors. But if you use an adult signature required carrier, and it is ok to ship to those states and you are a retailer you should be fine. Private party... well better to not declare what it is as you get into legally grey areas. Heck even selling a bottle of scotch to someone else from your private collection is not legal in the majority of states.

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2016

There is a downside to all these shipments, Do we want this happening here?
    aaaa4315419_5973ea7a-6c8b-479d-b3a9-1e3e19c364d2.jpg
    A "drunk" squirrel has caused hundreds of pounds of damage at a private members' club.

The secretary of Honeybourne Railway Club said he originally thought someone had broken into the premises, near Evesham in Worcestershire.

The floor was covered in beer and glasses and bottles smashed, Sam Boulter said.

Mr Boulter, 62, said he then saw a squirrel "staggering around" after coming out from behind a box of crisps.

'Turned on the taps'
    He added: "There were bottles scattered around, money scattered around and he had obviously run across the bar's pumps and managed to turn on the Caffrey's tap.

"He must have flung himself on the handle and drank some as he was staggering around all over the place and moving a bit slowly.

"I've never seen a drunk squirrel before. He was sozzled and looked a bit worse for wear, shall we say."

Mr Boulter, who estimated he lost about £300 in the incident, eventually caught the squirrel in a waste paper bin and released it out of the window.

ulackfocus likes this.
  14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 28, 2016

May want to look here for your state's laws:

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/50258#state

For most states, retailer shipping (I guess that means your local package store) is illegal. So in many states, you can order direct from the vineyard, but not from a retailer unless they have a license to ship from a location within your state. This license would make the wine subject to your state's tax system. Legal shipments coming from out of state are tax-exempt, which is why they are generally limited to amounts for personal use as deemed by the state.

The states are trying to protect their licensed liquor distributors from out-of-state competition. These distributors are state sponsored monopolies that pay gazillions in excise taxes and campaign contributions. Most of these protection laws date from the early 1930's. The legal monopolies were put in place to get organized crime out of the liquor business that was handed over to them during Prohibition.

A little history lesson.
    gatorcpa

Foo2rama likes this.