Forums Latest Members

A Question About How Ebay Works

1. alexgalt Feb 9, 2013

Hello everyone,

I suppose this question may seem simple but I'm both new and hesitant to buying on ebay. I've been watching a seller on ebay for some time and his Omegas look good and his ratings are all positive. What I have noticed is that a watch on my watchlist will end (so far it has always been at a higher price than my bid) but then within a few days the same watch will be listed again in his store. This would make sense if the buyer defaulted, but what I notice is that it seems to happen too regularly. If any of you know why this would happen and can explain how it happens, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

M

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 9, 2013

That's usually the sign of a shill bidder. The seller has a false ebay identity (or several) and bids to run up the price. If his shill bid is higher than the bid by an actual buyer, then he gets to keep the watch, and relists it. Stay clear - you'll pay more than you have to.

3. ulackfocus Feb 9, 2013

Yep, he's using his shill ID to try to force you to raise your bid to win the watch. What is his eBay selling ID?

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 9, 2013

Don't they have to pay the fee everytime they 'won' their own watch?

5. ulackfocus Feb 9, 2013

No. They can relist it claiming non-payment from the "buyer".

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 9, 2013

I see.......

7. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Feb 9, 2013

hello m,
    i am also fairly new to watch collecting and one of the few things i have learnt is to ask the guys here for input before youbid or boy. You will get honest advice and suggestions, the only bias from the experts here is to make sure you get a decent watch, whatever your budget.
    best of luck

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 9, 2013

You can only get away with that a few times, eBay has some pretty sophisticated software which looks for this precise type of thing. Do it to many times and they can/will limit/close your account or deny your request and add the charges to your monthly account bill.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 10, 2013

eBay definitely seem to be cracking down on some of the dodgier practices used in the past by some sellers recently

10. pknopp Feb 10, 2013

Just to make sure........there isn't a reserve on these watches is there?

11. alexgalt Feb 10, 2013

No, there is no reserve.